OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 09:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Orthodox  (Read 722 times) Average Rating: 0
Apu

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Syrian Orthodox (Malankara Jacobite)

« on: April 05, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »

Can someone get me the address & contact details of the Patriarchate of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawehedo Church, Addis Ababa ?
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

Hi Apu,

the only address I have for the Patriarch's office is this hope it works for you, I have never used it myself.

Ethiopian Orthodox Tewhahedo Church
Patriarch’s Office
P.O. Box 1283
Addis Ababa
Ethiopia
Fax: 251 1 55 14 55   /  251 11 155 22 11

as an alternative :

Holy Trinity Theological College
P.O. Box 80230 Arat Kilo, Addis Abeba
tel +251.1.116751 tel +251.1.552341

welcome to the forum my brother Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Apu

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Syrian Orthodox (Malankara Jacobite)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »

Shlomo,
          Thank you brother .One of my Syriac Orthodox friend is visiting Addis Ababa.He wanted to visit Ethiopian Orthodox churches near Addis ababa.Can you suggest any?
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »

Will he have a car or be able to hire one? The Debre Libanos Monastery is close to Addis and a must see. If he's using public transportation, the churches in Int'ot'o (Int'ot'o Maryam and Int'ot'o Ragu'el) just north of Addis are must sees, as are St. George's Cathedral in central Addis, the ruined rock hewn church in the northwest (?) Addis foothills (Washa Mika'el), and Gibi Be'ate Maryam adjacent to the old imperial compound where Emperor Minilek and Empress Zewditu are buried (if my memory doesn't fail me). Holy Trinity Cathedral, the main patriarchal cathedral, is extremely Western, but also worth a visit since Emperor Haile Silase is buried there with his wife Empress Menen and the city's seminary is right next door as well.

Shlomo,
          Thank you brother .One of my Syriac Orthodox friend is visiting Addis Ababa.He wanted to visit Ethiopian Orthodox churches near Addis ababa.Can you suggest any?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »

My brother Kijabeboy,  Smiley covered all of them dear Apu, the only thing I would add to his is in the case of visiting washa Michael/ washa Tekelehaymanot/ would be to make sure he has natives preferably that work in the Church accompany him if he decides to hike up there on foot. I do not advise going on foot up that mountain for a non native. but if he does decide to go on foot, let him find the deacons and priests that work up there and arrange to go with them. Yeka Michael is my home parish, washa Michael/Washa Tekelehaymanot is where I have spent nearly every  month of august since I was able to hike that mountain while in addis with the exception of some time spent in Tsadqane Maryam, and Debre Libanos. When I hiked up that mountain on regular days alone I have gone disguised as a poor guy with simple cloths carrying my church skirt and shawl inside a dirty looking plastic bag. ( there have been men of ill will, who followed women and tourists from a nearby village when they see them going up the mountain) my best friend was a deacon up there, he used to be real angry at me when i do such stunts. but I loved the peace that is up there too much to resist. besides every now and then I had the blessing of meeting certain extraordinary people up there. Smiley

May God bless his journey and make it for his edification.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »

Agreed, it's best to go with a guide :-/. There's always a guy or two (or ten ;-) ) down the hill in Addis proper more than happy to be hired to guide you up if your friend can't get a hold of the parish's clergy.

The big new church in Bole - Bole Medhane Alem - looks worth a visit, but I've never been there myself.

My brother Kijabeboy,  Smiley covered all of them dear Apu, the only thing I would add to his is in the case of visiting washa Michael/ washa Tekelehaymanot/ would be to make sure he has natives preferably that work in the Church accompany him if he decides to hike up there on foot. I do not advise going on foot up that mountain for a non native. but if he does decide to go on foot, let him find the deacons and priests that work up there and arrange to go with them. Yeka Michael is my home parish, washa Michael/Washa Tekelehaymanot is where I have spent nearly every  month of august since I was able to hike that mountain while in addis with the exception of some time spent in Tsadqane Maryam, and Debre Libanos. When I hiked up that mountain on regular days alone I have gone disguised as a poor guy with simple cloths carrying my church skirt and shawl inside a dirty looking plastic bag. ( there have been men of ill will, who followed women and tourists from a nearby village when they see them going up the mountain) my best friend was a deacon up there, he used to be real angry at me when i do such stunts. but I loved the peace that is up there too much to resist. besides every now and then I had the blessing of meeting certain extraordinary people up there. Smiley

May God bless his journey and make it for his edification.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:43:50 PM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

I attended services at Bisrate Gebri'el (on Victory Road) and Gedame Iyesus (near T'or Hailoch) when I lived in Addis - I miss it so much! I wasn't there long, but Ethiopia is my heart's home.

Yeka Michael is my home parish, washa Michael/Washa Tekelehaymanot is where I have spent nearly every  month of august since I was able to hike that mountain while in addis with the exception of some time spent in Tsadqane Maryam, and Debre Libanos.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Agreed, it's best to go with a guide :-/. There's always a guy or two (or ten ;-) ) down the hill in Addis proper more than happy to be hired to guide you up if your friend can't get a hold of the parish's clergy.

The big new church in Bole - Bole Medhane Alem - looks worth a visit, but I've never been there myself.

hehehe yeah you are quite right, there is no shortage of guys willing to be hired as a guide. as to Bole Medhane Alem, I have not been there to see the finished new church building but I have been there quite a number of times while the old building was there. yeah he might like to visit there as well.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

I attended services at Bisrate Gebri'el (on Victory Road) and Gedame Iyesus (near T'or Hailoch) when I lived in Addis - I miss it so much! I wasn't there long, but Ethiopia is my heart's home.

Yeka Michael is my home parish, washa Michael/Washa Tekelehaymanot is where I have spent nearly every  month of august since I was able to hike that mountain while in addis with the exception of some time spent in Tsadqane Maryam, and Debre Libanos.

oh kijabeboy, you are so sweet, I used to go to Lideta Maryam each time I went to visit my grandfather because he used to live nearby the church. I can see how much you love Kijabeboy, it is a delight to me honestly. I am very curious to know about your stay in Ethiopia, if its okay with you, pm me when you get the time Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: