OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:44:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Church & Marijuana  (Read 2557 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »

I don't know if you've ever smoked or not, so you may not know about degrees of being high.

He hasn't. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »

Please Father, forgive me my sins.  Please give me your mystical advice.

Pot seems to be mystical enough for you. 
that doesn't even make sense.  You high?

Now do you see what's wrong with pot? It impairs communication, since people will always be at different "altitudes".

Forgive my lowliness, your highness. Or whichever way around.  Tongue 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:05:36 PM by Romaios » Logged
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »

Now do you see what's wrong with pot? It impairs communication, since people will always be at different "altitudes".

Forgive my lowliness, your highness. Or whichever way around.  Tongue 
Yes

Peace.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »

If your claim is true (doubtful at besy) someone can smoke and not get high, there is no point in smoking it.
Did I say that people smoke not to get high?

There are degrees of being high, Kerdy.  My experience on saturday was a high that was equivalent to roughly 2 beers (Dogfish, not Coors).  I was BARELY HIGH.  

I don't know if you've ever smoked or not, so you may not know about degrees of being high.

I have been high as a friggin kite before.  Because I smoked a lot.  That was bad.
On the other hand there is a whole range of high-ness, just as there is a range of experiencing the effects of alcohol.
You are correct.  There are two degrees of high.  High and not high.  Everything else is semantics.  It's like saying someone is only a little bit pregnant or you only murdered someone half way, or anything else.  Doesn't make any sense in the real world.  But I forget, your 19 years of life and pseudo-wisdom is better than my more than 19 years of adult experiences and knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:36:34 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »

There are degrees of being high, Kerdy.  My experience on saturday was a high that was equivalent to roughly 2 beers (Dogfish, not Coors).  I was BARELY HIGH. 

I have been high as a friggin kite before.  Because I smoked a lot.  That was bad.
On the other hand there is a whole range of high-ness, just as there is a range of experiencing the effects of alcohol.

The Ladder of Potty Descent... "Barely" Orthodox.   Roll Eyes
Sarcasm and stupidity are many times the same thing.  Something to think about, not that you will.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »

Sure it does.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »

He hasn't. He has no idea what he is talking about.
Have you ever been Protestant?  No?  Ever been pregnant?  Ever piloted an aircraft, run a bank, been President, been a priest or bishop?  So we should never expect to hear anything from you about anything related to the topics, right?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »

You are correct.  There are two degrees of high.  High and not high.

Don't you really see the difference between 3 beers and 0.5 l of vodka?

You must have extremely strong head.

Or unimaginably weak.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:43:02 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

If your claim is true (doubtful at besy) someone can smoke and not get high, there is no point in smoking it.
Did I say that people smoke not to get high?

There are degrees of being high, Kerdy.  My experience on saturday was a high that was equivalent to roughly 2 beers (Dogfish, not Coors).  I was BARELY HIGH.  

You are correct.  There are two degrees of high.  High and not high.  Everything else is semantics.  It's like saying someone is only a little bit pregnant or you only murdered someone half way, or anything else.  Doesn't make any sense in the real world.  But I forget, your 19 years of life and pseudo-wisdom is better than my more than 19 years of adult experiences and knowledge.
19 years of adult experience?

Peace.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

You are correct.  There are two degrees of high.  High and not high.

Don't you really see the difference between 3 beers and 0.5 l of vodka?

You must have extremely strong head.

Or unimaginably weak.

don't question His Eminence. He's meditating.  Or something.

Peace.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

I wonder if Jesus would approve of lighting up a joint, getting high and stupid, just because it makes a person fell good.  I'm leaning toward His response being a no.  He never did so for anything else.

He gave the wine to wedding guests who were already drunk (in a state they could not taste the difference between good and bad wine). Luckily, Jesus and Apostles were not Puritans.
Ah, the old "Jesus made wine" argument, which thus far has really said nothing at all.  Care to try again rather than avoid what I posted or is this your only defense?

That overthrows your theory that moderate intoxication from time to time is sinful since Christ helped others to get it.

I don't care about your other "arguments". I do not consider your spiritual advice important in any way.

No need to get confrontational. We should all consider each other's advice, spiritual or other, carefully lest we do not discern that it is the Lord speaking to us through our interlocutors.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »

I wonder if Jesus would approve of lighting up a joint, getting high and stupid, just because it makes a person fell good.  I'm leaning toward His response being a no.  He never did so for anything else.

He gave the wine to wedding guests who were already drunk (in a state they could not taste the difference between good and bad wine). Luckily, Jesus and Apostles were not Puritans.
Ah, the old "Jesus made wine" argument, which thus far has really said nothing at all.  Care to try again rather than avoid what I posted or is this your only defense?

That overthrows your theory that moderate intoxication from time to time is sinful since Christ helped others to get it.

I don't care about your other "arguments". I do not consider your spiritual advice important in any way.

No need to get confrontational. We should all consider each other's advice, spiritual or other, carefully lest we do not discern that it is the Lord speaking to us through our interlocutors.
Then perhaps Kerdy can take our advice in the same manner?  How's that sound?

Peace.
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

And according to your post in this thread, you apparently do not consider the spiritual advice of priests important either, so I take comfort to be in good company.

AFAIR, you are not a priest but a convert with a probation in Orthodoxy about 19 year shorter than mine. I won't tread your "spiritual advice" seriously since you certainly have problems in leaving your Evangelical mentality so stop pretending to be an elder to everyone.

If you provide some opinion by actual Orthodox theologian that alcohol intoxication is always a sin, I'll reconsider my opinion. But now, stop pretending you are a spiritual guide and know what is sinful and what is not.

I have no idea if Kerdy responded to this. I just feel compelled to say that it is astounding to me that cradles are insulting converts, especially with bringing to the table some sort of Evangelical mentality.

Do you think that heterodox Christians are 100% wrong? Don't we have the same foundational source? The problem here I suspect is the usual Northern European defensiveness about alcohol intoxication. In my part of Orthodoxy, it was a tragedy for someone to be so intoxicated--not common place at all. Would you consider and damn my little part of Orthodoxy for having Evangelical mentality?

That said, intoxication is falling short. Smoking cigarettes is falling short. Smoking marijuana is falling short. Cutting yourself is falling short. Not guarding your mouth is falling short. Needlessly insulting others is falling short. I am a sinner; I have and will probably continue to fall short. I so declare as a cradle. I assure you that I will bring to the table citations from the Holy Scriptures and the Fathers to back me up.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:40:03 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »

You are correct.  There are two degrees of high.  High and not high.  Everything else is semantics.  

I feel like an anesthesiologist should be able to verify or discredit this statement fairly easily. Does anyone know an Anesthesiologist so we can at least put this part of the never-ending debate to rest?
Taxiarches

« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »

Since even the moderator himself (me) is losing his cool, I am going to lock this up until passions cool down. Recessed until after Pascha. Carl Kraeff

Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »

This topic is unlocked as promised. Carl Kraeff

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »

Hey! whut whut  Tongue .....  laugh
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »

Hey! whut whut  Tongue .....  laugh

Welcome back to this thread. Here, have a complimentary joint.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »

Whould pascha be complete without a joint?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »

Whould pascha be complete without a joint?
Why stop there?  Why not a few lines of cocaine or a needle full of heroin?  Maybe if you are high enough you will hear the voice of God.  Or it could be your mind thinking it hears God, but what difference does it make?
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

Lulz

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: