OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Burn CD's From My Computer?  (Read 982 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: April 04, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »

I have purchased some songs from Amazon that I would like to burn to an audio CD that I can play in my car. I have tried going to Windows Media Player, making a playlist, and clicking on "burn CD". But it just ejects the CD and gives me a message saying to insert a writable disk. I have tried several different new audio CD's, but it does the same thing every time. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »

Do you have a CD Burner Programme on your computer?  I bought Roxio to burn CDs and DVDs.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »

So, what happens when you first put in the CD?  Doesn't a window pop open that asks you if you would like to "burn" a data, audio, ....CD?  If it does that follow those steps.

IF that doesn't work, you can try this:

Open up TWO Windows Explorer windows.

Move them side by side.

Insert CD, and in one pane browse to that drive.  Possibly E?  It will be empty.

In the other Windows Explorer window browse to your music.  Select you music by highlighting it.  If they are all in together, click on the first one, hold down Shift button and click on the last one.  This will highlight all of them.  If they are not all together and you have to "pick" which ones you like, then click on the first one, hold down the Ctrl key and click on each one you wish to highlight.

Once you have them highlighted, click on one and drag the whole bunch to the other side, dropping them in to the "empty" CD drive letter.

You should see them all pop in there.

Once there, you can either go the File - Burn CD, or if that's not available, sometimes if you click the little button on the CD drive to eject the CD, it will ask you if you wish to burn the files you have on that drive.

Good luck!  Hope it works.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »

But it just ejects the CD and gives me a message saying to insert a writable disk. I have tried several different new audio CD's, but it does the same thing every time. What am I doing wrong here?

Are you sure you are trying with brand new CD-R discs?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

Insert cd into computer, copypaste the music into the cd folder, eject cd.

Usually works for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:34:55 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »

How old is your computer? I would imagine new enough to have a disc drive that can burn CDs, we'd have to start there first.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »

What happens is that I click on "burn Cd" and it gets up to about 98% complete and then the CD ejects. The computer says "burn complete" but there's nothing on the CD when I try to play it in any of my CD players. It seems to be going through the process of burning the CD, but then nothing's on it? What's the deal?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:30:02 AM »

If you have an old computer, you may have buildup on the actual laser lens.  From what I see, you need to take the CD drive apart to clean the lens.  That's usually the last thing to check.

Can you plug your CD drive in another port on your computer?  Maybe use a different cable?  Try to eliminate the simple things.  Also, don't burn at the fastest speed - select the next lowest speed.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »

What happens is that I click on "burn Cd" and it gets up to about 98% complete and then the CD ejects. The computer says "burn complete" but there's nothing on the CD when I try to play it in any of my CD players. It seems to be going through the process of burning the CD, but then nothing's on it? What's the deal?

Selam

Are you writing the tracks as data files or as "music" files? Your CD player in your car might not be able to read mp3s or whatever audio files it is writing.

Can you take a look at the contents of the CD. Put the CD into your computer and look at that drive and see if anything is on it and what the file extension is.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:31:31 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »

Thanks guys. I think I'm in over my head here. I have a buddy from our Church who is a computer whiz. Looks like I'll need to get him to come over and guide me through it. Thank you all very much for the help. Sorry that I'm so slow.  Embarrassed

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:38:36 AM »

Well, my computer whiz friend used his Teamviewer to download something called "Nero" that was supposed to enable me to burn CD's. But the same problem occurred. So here's another question: is there a way to transfer the music I purchased from Amazon from my desktop computer to my laptop? Maybe my laptop can burn the CD's.

Selam

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:44 AM »

You can use a flash drive to transfer music just like any other file. As for burning software, it's been a long time since I needed to use it, but I was quite happy with Express Burn.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »

You can use a flash drive to transfer music just like any other file. As for burning software, it's been a long time since I needed to use it, but I was quite happy with Express Burn.

Thanks!

Selam

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »

Well, my computer whiz friend used his Teamviewer to download something called "Nero" that was supposed to enable me to burn CD's. But the same problem occurred. So here's another question: is there a way to transfer the music I purchased from Amazon from my desktop computer to my laptop? Maybe my laptop can burn the CD's.

Selam

Ehh!  Nero!  That's caused me many PC issues in the past.

Let us know how it goes on your laptop.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
WPM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »

You drag and drop the audio file to copy to disc with software program and a CD-RW disc writer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:01:39 PM by WPM » Logged
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »

Couple of questions (I may have missed the answers), does your computer (the one that burned the CD) play that music?
Your "CD" device may not use the same format, but your computer should. Can you listen on your computer system to that same music?

Nero SHOULD help, and after burning it with Nero, then that same computer should play that music, and it may be the case that if it does, your CD still may not.
Just a thought. Got to rush.

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

CDs are so 2005, man. get an iPod.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

Nero SHOULD help, and after burning it with Nero,

Putting this comment in context of Gebre's Babylon stuff is not without hilarity.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »

I just wonder if the CD player plays data discs.

If I used MS other than outside of work, I could just call do figure this out over the phone. Really that would be the easiest. But I don't know Windows whatever well enough to recall from memory what to do.

Maybe someone who is more fluent with MS could do the same.

I know how to get to work, but don't ask me the street names.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:17:11 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

No. Ipods are overpriced.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »

iPods suck.

I love my 25 dollar Sansa Clip+ and loading Rockbox firmware. WAV files all day on my 32gb SD card hitch holds only like 10 albums because of how large the files are lol.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »

Sansa Clip+ and loading Rockbox firmware

Say more.

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »

First Take the Cds and put them all in a metal box. Preferably an old Or new better computer case.

Then spray with lighter fluid.

Light with match. Be careful.
 Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:50:53 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »

Sansa Clip+ and loading Rockbox firmware

Say more.
What you need to know? The link to download Rockbox?

I think it's a great player, fantastic sound quality and it's got a clip.

I have a 20 dollar JVC IEM that blows away $500 reference headphones out of the water. The bass is just incredible with them, and it has this syrupy tangible sound that is addicting. No fatigue either

I just bought a $2000 Onkyo SACD/DVD-A player for a 100 bucks. I can't believe it. The DACs are awesome but I plan on purchasing a standalone DAC next month to compliment my tube amp.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:11:58 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »

I remember you were saving to buy a super duper stereo system.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

Nero SHOULD help, and after burning it with Nero,

Putting this comment in context of Gebre's Babylon stuff is not without hilarity.

Funny indeed. And especially relevant since I just watched Quo Vadis last night. lol!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »

If anyone has the patience to call me and try to talk me through this, I sure would be grateful. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell #.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »

UPDATE:

I was able to use my flash drive to transfer my music from my desktop to my laptop, and then I successfully burned the CD from there. Don't know what the deal is with my desktop computer, but at least I can use my laptop to burn my music from now on. In the future, I'll just use my laptop to buy music so that I won't have to keep transferring it over with a flash drive. So, all in all I found a way to make my CD's, which is all I wanted to do. So I'm happy.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.  Smiley

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »

I remember you were saving to buy a super duper stereo system.
Who me? Yeah I bought almost all of it except the DAC

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »

since I just watched Quo Vadis last night. lol!

Sincere expressions of sympathy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

UPDATE:

I was able to use my flash drive to transfer my music from my desktop to my laptop, and then I successfully burned the CD from there. Don't know what the deal is with my desktop computer, but at least I can use my laptop to burn my music from now on. In the future, I'll just use my laptop to buy music so that I won't have to keep transferring it over with a flash drive. So, all in all I found a way to make my CD's, which is all I wanted to do. So I'm happy.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.  Smiley

Selam

Yay!  Glad to hear it.

Just a quick question....were you EVER able to burn CD's using your desktop PC?

You do realize that not ever CD drive has the capability to "burn" CDs.  Some will only play them. 

Wink   We probably should have asked you that in the beginning. 

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: