OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:02:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox family express  (Read 926 times) Average Rating: 0
livefreeordie
High Elder

« on: April 03, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »

My family and I were thinking of taking a summer road trip to various parishes across the country.  Can anyone recommend some vibrant, family oriented parishes to visit?  Anywhere in the Continental USA is in our path.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

What weeks are you traveling?

You could plan it around parishes that might be having special events, festivals, day camps, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »

Good idea Liza. We'll be traveling throughout the summer and our schedule will be flexible.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »

So, to make this easier for you, I would ask whose parish (or parishes they know of) have any cool plans for the summer months?

When are your Patronal Feast Days?  When are your bishops visiting?  When are you or your town holding festivals, etc.

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

So, to make this easier for you, I would ask whose parish (or parishes they know of) have any cool plans for the summer months?

When are your Patronal Feast Days?  When are your bishops visiting?  When are you or your town holding festivals, etc.

Smiley

To be honest though, being there on feasts, etc. are not our priority.  Really just want suggestions on some vibrant, active, family friendly parishes to visit. So if anyone reading has any suggestions please list. Thanks
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »

My family and I were thinking of taking a summer road trip to various parishes across the country.  Can anyone recommend some vibrant, family oriented parishes to visit?  Anywhere in the Continental USA is in our path.
Chicago. All Saints Antiochian.

SS. Peter and Paul in nearby Glenview was also.  I say was because I haven't been there in years, but AFAIK, it hasn't changed in that respect.

St. Anthony in San Antionio was very nice.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

From which area are you beginning your trip?  I know of one which a friend in ROCOR said is considered one of the top two parishes to raise children in the US, but maybe you already from there.   
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

From which area are you beginning your trip?  I know of one which a friend in ROCOR said is considered one of the top two parishes to raise children in the US, but maybe you already from there.   

Starting from Indiana.  Would love to visit your friend's parish.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »

I sent you a pm.
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »

If you're going in late June or throughout July, plan to hit a Greek parish or two and celebrate Greek Fest!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »

St. Christina of Tyre in Fremont, California. OCA parish. Fr. Michael Anderson is the Priest; he's my spiritual father, and from what I know, he's somewhat famous in the American Orthodox world for his youth ministry work.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: