Author Topic: Orthodox family express  (Read 1229 times)

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
Orthodox family express
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
My family and I were thinking of taking a summer road trip to various parishes across the country.  Can anyone recommend some vibrant, family oriented parishes to visit?  Anywhere in the Continental USA is in our path.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Orthodox family express
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

What weeks are you traveling?

You could plan it around parishes that might be having special events, festivals, day camps, etc.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
Good idea Liza. We'll be traveling throughout the summer and our schedule will be flexible.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »

So, to make this easier for you, I would ask whose parish (or parishes they know of) have any cool plans for the summer months?

When are your Patronal Feast Days?  When are your bishops visiting?  When are you or your town holding festivals, etc.

:)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

So, to make this easier for you, I would ask whose parish (or parishes they know of) have any cool plans for the summer months?

When are your Patronal Feast Days?  When are your bishops visiting?  When are you or your town holding festivals, etc.

:)

To be honest though, being there on feasts, etc. are not our priority.  Really just want suggestions on some vibrant, active, family friendly parishes to visit. So if anyone reading has any suggestions please list. Thanks

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
My family and I were thinking of taking a summer road trip to various parishes across the country.  Can anyone recommend some vibrant, family oriented parishes to visit?  Anywhere in the Continental USA is in our path.
Chicago. All Saints Antiochian.

SS. Peter and Paul in nearby Glenview was also.  I say was because I haven't been there in years, but AFAIK, it hasn't changed in that respect.

St. Anthony in San Antionio was very nice.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
From which area are you beginning your trip?  I know of one which a friend in ROCOR said is considered one of the top two parishes to raise children in the US, but maybe you already from there.   

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
From which area are you beginning your trip?  I know of one which a friend in ROCOR said is considered one of the top two parishes to raise children in the US, but maybe you already from there.   

Starting from Indiana.  Would love to visit your friend's parish.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
I sent you a pm.

Offline Luckster

• Double Dipper
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
If you're going in late June or throughout July, plan to hit a Greek parish or two and celebrate Greek Fest!

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
St. Christina of Tyre in Fremont, California. OCA parish. Fr. Michael Anderson is the Priest; he's my spiritual father, and from what I know, he's somewhat famous in the American Orthodox world for his youth ministry work.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.