OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Disappearing Orthodox  (Read 1264 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »

I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

Yes, the board was down last Friday.  That was not pre-planned or intentional....just some technical difficulties.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

Yes, the board was down last Friday.  That was not pre-planned or intentional....just some technical difficulties.

What about the rest of the times?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »

We're up and running the rest of the time.

Granted there are occasional blips....server hiccups, etc.  These things happen.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »

On fridays the muezzin calls us to prayer but isha'allah we're always back on saturday.

Salaam.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:48:24 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »

...bite your tongue.   Roll Eyes

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

...bite your tongue.   Roll Eyes

It's Great Lent.  He probably shouldn't  Grin  Oh...okay...you didn't tell him to eat his tongue, thank God Cheesy.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

Most people post here when they're supposed to be working. On Fridays they have switched to planning their weekend.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Weekend attendance is rather sparse. 

—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

I think so, too.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »

I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??

I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »

I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?

Play?  PLAY?? In Russia, is no play!  OUTRAGE!!!!

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »

In Russia there is no  internet,what an OUTAGE  Grin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »

Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.

Do you fast by liturgical rather than solar days?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »

No fast on friday?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »

No fast on friday?

No fast on Friday evening.

Friday evening is traditional and most popular time for wedding receptions for Orthodox here for example.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »

No fast on friday?

Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »

No fast on friday?

Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James

Sounds like a local variation.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »

No fast on friday?

James

No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.

I'll pay you in compliments. Here's an advance payment:

You're so witty, vamrat! You make me feel so alive!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »

Vamrat can go in brick ****-houses and come out smelling like a rose.

Flynn wished he could be in like Vamrat.

Vamrat's anger evaporates at the speed of **** going through a tin horn.

The phrase "ain't that a kick in the head" was coined to describe the impossibility of understanding Vamrat.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:33 AM »

No fast on friday?

James

No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James

Right.  I remember that with Archbishop Vsevolod (memory eternal), if I ate with him on Thursday I was fasting but not on Friday night.  One can see this in the older monstic typika where they are having olive oil after Vespers on Friday night during Great Lent.  Even more recent instructions indicate that fasting begins after Vespers of the preceding afternoon/evening:  “This afternoon we end the eating of cheese, eggs and fish. That is why this Sunday is called Cheese-Fare, i.e. the end of eating or the discontinuance of cheese.”
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

It's Friday and we're still here.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »

It's Friday and we're still here.

The posting volume has gone down significantly. Almost zero. Below zero, in fact.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

Bucking the trend...

Love, elephant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: