OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 11:41:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and reason  (Read 443 times) Average Rating: 0
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »

What does reason play in Orthodox methodology? Is there such a thing as an Orthodox Scholasticism, or an Orthodox correspondence or substitute for Scholasticism outside mystics?
VarangianGuard

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »

What does reason play in Orthodox methodology? Is there such a thing as an Orthodox Scholasticism, or an Orthodox correspondence or substitute for Scholasticism outside mystics?

I've read that around the time of hesychast controversy, scholasticism was popular in many places in the East, among philosophers and such. After that controversy ended and St. Gregory Palamas had defeated Barlaam the Calabrian, I don't think scholasticism was too popular anymore in those quarters. At least the Church combatted it.
This may be wrong, but according to what I remember from a particular book, the philosophers interested in reviving Greek pagan philosophy also often embraced scholasticism.

I am only an inquirier into Orthodoxy, so I may be terribly wrong here. Keep that in mind.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:59:48 AM »

For something contemporary and relevant, I would highly recommend:

Being as Communion by Metropolitan John Zizioulas

http://www.amazon.com/Being-Communion-Personhood-Contemporary-Theologians/dp/0881410292

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »

I've read that around the time of hesychast controversy, scholasticism was popular in many places in the East, among philosophers and such. After that controversy ended and St. Gregory Palamas had defeated Barlaam the Calabrian, I don't think scholasticism was too popular anymore in those quarters. At least the Church combatted it.
This may be wrong, but according to what I remember from a particular book, the philosophers interested in reviving Greek pagan philosophy also often embraced scholasticism.

I am only an inquirier into Orthodoxy, so I may be terribly wrong here. Keep that in mind.

The first thing that popped my mind after reading the headline was that now somebody is going to write that reason is a Western innovation and/or heresy. And I here I find it in the first post.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:40:16 AM by Alpo » Logged

Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »

Wasn't St Gregory of Palamas whose celebration is this Sunday, pretty "scholastic" himself?

akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:59 AM »

Take a look at this article:

Aristotle Papanikolaou, "Reasonable Faith and a Trinitarian Logic," in Restoring Faith in Reason.

Kra-nion

Faith: 'Old Faith Orthodox' { in catholic communion }
Jurisdiction: ;those to whom Sts. Cyril & Methodius went;

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »

**.....brainiach......?............relay..............?................' gods religion is not a brain thing '................those look i'm smart your stupid attitude type people, through truth away............those people don't get it...........//\\ . if you don't do god's will. your reward,. a beat'n...........but, the real smart ones that don't ,. they relay get a beat'n......+++....,,,,,,,,,,.......,,,,.,.,.,.,.,.is there some thing in bible?....... eph.4;17....see,no god........what is it?......2cor.11;3....tempters playground................../  ..........?..makes it hard to be a servant........ the scribes & pharisees were the educated class.........................................LOOK,john saw them coming,SEE,Christ wondered if they would excape hell,OBSERVE,seed of falsehood,VIEW,what you have no control of,.....is.57;4-ja.3;8-mt.23;33-mt.3;7...........................................the smartest among them have selfish gray-matter religion...and everyone gets (good & evil) mixed ......but, some assemblies all (wicked).is5;9........  ========....(how do i know there's no all good assemblies?).............................................................................. ................................... ...rom.12;21overcomeingevil ...&..rom.13;8owenomananything,buttolove......no full church is paying it tribute to the god chosen ruler.rom.13;6...(i spent decades look'n for him)..........god save the king is a church project!............Christ don't need saved, he's savior....Christ is king of kings..................church, god save the king, is one of the kings under Christ................do you support gods kingdom,or do you think to much?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:48:43 PM »

^----new favorite poster

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:30 PM »

^----new favorite poster
pasadi shall be saddened to hear this.

SCREW BON JOVI!
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »

owenomananything,buttolove.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »

For something contemporary and relevant, I would highly recommend:

Being as Communion by Metropolitan John Zizioulas

http://www.amazon.com/Being-Communion-Personhood-Contemporary-Theologians/dp/0881410292
Very interesting. Sounds very much like the concept of being proposed by Norris Clarke in his Person and Being.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: