Author Topic: The Great Lent  (Read 265 times)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • God is One & Jesus is the Messiah.
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
The Great Lent
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Dear brothers and sister,
I'd like to know what things you are allowed to do and what things you are not allowed during the fast in Great Lent.Is it allowed to listen to music and watch TV/films for example?
Thank you.
I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all people.

Offline choy

• Archon
Re: The Great Lent
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
When I was a kid and Roman Catholic, no everything from Holy Thursday to Holy Saturday.  But everything shut down in the country anyways.  That was then.  Today it just looks like a regular day when you go around.

And by shut down I mean no TV, no radio.  But there was plenty to do, go to processions, go to church, participate in prayer services, etc.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
Dear brothers and sister,
I'd like to know what things you are allowed to do and what things you are not allowed during the fast in Great Lent.Is it allowed to listen to music and watch TV/films for example?
Thank you.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
I to am new to all this, and Mike is right, "Ask your priest" is the bestest answer.
Now mine (prideful and dreadful creature that I am): ask your priest
but prior to doing so, maybe we can reason together.
What is the purpose of Great Lent your real question?
If not, don't bother reading on.
If so, then Great Lent affords us the opportunity to "learn something new" AND draw closer to God.
If that is the case, do movies and TV allow such or distract us? And for such a short period of time too, we, as a church, can lengthen our time and desire to seek, know and try to become one in His presence! All of us, for a few simple days, a moment at a time!
So now, go ask your priest.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us