OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EOTC and Child-Marriage  (Read 683 times) Average Rating: 0
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« on: April 01, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

I don't mean to offend our Orthodox Habesha brethren or to "attack" their Holy Church.

I've recently been studying the subject of child marriage in school and have discovered this a few articles that show child marriage among the Ethiopian Orthodox Christians. It's a little unusual to see this. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the couples were around the same age and at least over puberty but these couples have large age differences!

This blog article includes a video which shows a priest who married a very young girl:
http://hmichaelg.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-ethiopia-orthodox-tewahedo-church-should-do-more-to-stop-child-marriages/

This includes two pictures of Ethiopian Orthodox young married girls:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216553/International-Day-Girl-Child-2012-Devastating-images-terrifying-world-child-brides.html

Any thoughts?

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »

Yes, I've heard about this. As in other cases of cultural practices that are against church teachings (e.g., FGM in Egypt, which the Coptic Orthodox Church has opposed very vocally), they are hard to eradicate in general given the cultural entrenchment of the practice. I hope that the EOTC will take a leading role in opposing child marriage. According to some sources, they already do, but face problems getting the message out among people for whom the practice is viewed as normal.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

What does FGM mean?

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »

What does FGM mean?

Female Genital Mutilation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »

Thanks. I know what female genital mutilation is, I just didn't know what the acronym meant. I don't have the courage to follow that link, though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:43:07 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »

Thanks. I know what female genital mutilation is, I just didn't know what the acronym meant. I don't have the courage to follow that link, though.

Don't worry, I made sure there weren't any pics of it in the link.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:43 AM »

What does FGM mean?

A dollar to the first person to guess what immediately popped into my head.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

This is a very false perception. This so-called "child marriage" among Ethiopian Christians is a 1 in a million occurance, it's not widespread. Enemies of the Ethiopian church just drop by the next village and write stories of confused church members or servants. Thank God, though, that the Ethiopian Church is not infiltrated by sodomites! Besides, Ethiopian Christians don't practice FGM. The Muslims do!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »

What does FGM mean?

FSM?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

This is a very false perception. This so-called "child marriage" among Ethiopian Christians is a 1 in a million occurance, it's not widespread. Enemies of the Ethiopian church just drop by the next village and write stories of confused church members or servants. Thank God, though, that the Ethiopian Church is not infiltrated by sodomites! Besides, Ethiopian Christians don't practice FGM. The Muslims do!

Even so, it should still be considered a problem. And FGM is practised all over the world, also in western countries.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »

The article says the girl married a priest and implies that he was already a priest.  Can priests marry after ordination in the EOTC?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »

I don't mean to offend our Orthodox Habesha brethren or to "attack" their Holy Church.

I've recently been studying the subject of child marriage in school and have discovered this a few articles that show child marriage among the Ethiopian Orthodox Christians. It's a little unusual to see this. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the couples were around the same age and at least over puberty but these couples have large age differences!

This blog article includes a video which shows a priest who married a very young girl:
http://hmichaelg.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-ethiopia-orthodox-tewahedo-church-should-do-more-to-stop-child-marriages/

This includes two pictures of Ethiopian Orthodox young married girls:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216553/International-Day-Girl-Child-2012-Devastating-images-terrifying-world-child-brides.html

Any thoughts?

Cantor, rest assured my brother although your concern is much appreciated regarding not being offensive, when it comes to this particular subject it is quite unnecessary Smiley as to me believe me its not those who talk about it that offend me rather those who deny the condition of women and girls in these parts of the country that make me furious. but my emotions are irrelevant so lets go back to the topic at hand. this ancient cultural practice is a sad reality in need of addressing hopefully by those who are capable of altering it.

for your perspective regarding your school work i will say at least in these regions of Ethiopia( extremely conservative regions both christian and Muslim) as I do not know the details in other countries.. those that marry children in this way do so with a strict honor code ie the two families swear an oath that forbids sexual intercourse until the girl reaches her puberty ie until she menstruates or at least she is 15. until then she will be raised in the family of her husband as part of the children making his family her family. when she reaches puberty both will leave for their new home that will be built for them and the consummation will be witnessed, that she is a virgin asserted.

they say they do this in order to ease the transition between families and so they will accept her as she will accept them as part of her family and the marriage will not suffer as a result of behavioral adjustment needed when joining the husband's families.

as logical as that might be in the social dynamics of the society, the problem is those oaths are frequently broken, and the compensation of honor given to the girl's family leaving the girl in a dire situation. sometimes when those compensations are rejected by the girl's family and the marriage is dissolved  the girl is considered a divorcee and that by itself has a social repercussions on the girl.

we are talking about girls being forced to have sex with an adult when their bodies are not physically ( let us not forget that these regions are extremely conservative for the children to even be psychologically prepared for the act of sex so I am leaving that as a given in this discussion)ready for it, you can perhaps imagine the consequences of that kind of brutalization, these children if they survive without having trauma such as vaginal tearing and fistulas, their ordeal continues with a repeated rape that might result in pregnancy without a fully developed body to accommodate Childbearing. child labor when the mother is a child herself in the meager medical capacity of those regions its one of the most gruesome horror shows, that often ends with both child and mother dying. if the mother survives it by some miracle without any permanent physical damage then there will be a repeat of that scene in a year's time.

I could go on dear Cantor, but I feel I am preaching to the Choir so I will let it rest here. My dear brother,as you might be aware, the condition of the majority of women in this world leaves much to be desired. things are changing though slowly but surely resistance comes from all sides, like all issues of society those that wear the garb of religion / politics are on both sides of the debate. the future though is bright, change for the better is unstoppable no matter how long it takes in these parts of the world anyways. right now creating awareness itself is part of the solution we all want to get.

selam hune.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

The article says the girl married a priest and implies that he was already a priest.  Can priests marry after ordination in the EOTC?

the translations are also terrible Smiley to answer your question, he was a deacon when he married, in EOTC it is when you are a deacon that you get to choose either to marry or be a monastic. then you can be a priest or remain a deacon, marriage must take place prior to the ordination as a priest. what happens to most deacons is that on the very day they are married they are also ordained as priests.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »

What does FGM mean?

To me it means fluvial geomorphology
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

I did not see this reply until now, I don't know whether to laugh or what over this insane assertion. Balthazar, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. FGM is practiced by both Christians and Muslims of certain regions in Ethiopia. the cultural practice crosses religious barriers. the rest of your drivel is not even worth addressing. Lord have mercy!

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »

MGM is practiced by Jews. They are so determined to spread it, they built an entire entertainment edifice in honor of it.

Foreskin is serious business!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »

MGM is practiced by Jews. They are so determined to spread it, they built an entire entertainment edifice in honor of it.

Foreskin is serious business!

Well there goes this thread. Hopefully the Professor doesn't see this...
Tags: child marriage  Ethiopian Orthodox FGM circumcision 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: