OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:07:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan Jonah plausible candidate to head Russian Exarchate  (Read 2148 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 01, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »

Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen), former Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, is deliberated as potential candidate to succeed Archbishop Gabriel (de Vylder) as a Primate of the Patriarchal Exarchate for Orthodox Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe our source at Rue Daru claims.

His irrefutable advantages are experience in heading an Orthodox jurisdiction and acquaintance with Russian liturgical tradition. Being a convert is not a problem since two former Primates of the Exarchate were converts themselves. His reluctance against the Ecumenical Patriarchate seems to be the only one obstacle, however, it was being successively resolved at trilateral consultations between Metropolitan Jonah, Metropolitan Emmanuel (Adamakis) - current locum tenens of the Exarchate, and Patriarch Bartholomew that were taking place in Chambésy last month. There are also no objections from Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard), the current Primate of the Orthodox Church in America.

The Patriarchal Exarchate for Orthodox Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe is an exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriatchate of Russian Orthodox tradition, based in Paris, and having parishes throughout Europe, mainly centered in France. The Exarchate is sometimes known as Rue Daru from the street in Paris where its cathedral is located.

source
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:46:38 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:28 AM »

Hadn't seen that coming.  Cheesy

Does Metropolitan Jonah speak french?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:51:47 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »

That was... unexpected.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »

Lord Jesus, Christ - Son of the Living God, please have mercy on Met. Johah and all of these proceedings.  Let Your wisdom, mercy and love reign over every decision made.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »

Nice to see most folks don't check "source." Good one MK!  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »

^^

I was more subtle...

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »

Nice to see most folks don't check "source." Good one MK!  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

HA!! Well, at least it prompted a prayer for him! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »

^^

I was more subtle...

I have to admit I almost fell for it, but before I hit "post" on a rather incredulous comment, I decided to use Google - nothing there, so I hit " source." I hope VFR falls for it though as comments from there would be priceless...... Grin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »

I hope VFR falls for it though as comments from there would be priceless...... Grin

It fell last year (or two years ago). I doubt she will get caught twice with the same trap.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:38:22 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »

I hope VFR falls for it though as comments from there would be priceless...... Grin

It fell last year (or two years ago). I doubt she will get caught twice with the same trap.

Wait, what happened last year?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

However upon further scrutiny Met. Jonah's candidature was rejected as it was found that he is ineligible for the post.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26813.msg729649.html#msg729649

this happened

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »

Wow.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »

Quite a lot, really! Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »

This one is good, it actually got me to open and read it. Well played sir!

Joseph
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »

this is really incredible.  i bow to your infinite wisdom sir. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

I just wonder....

Here is a part of Metropolitan Tikhon's recent report to the Metropolitan Council of the OCA:

"At the Fall Session of the Holy Synod (October 9-11, 2012), the Holy Synod appointed me to enter into a process of negotiation with  Metropolitan Jonah. The purpose of this negotiation was to arrive at a mutually acceptable resolution to his situation following his resignation as Primate of the OCA in July.
The basic presupposition of the negotiation was contained in the phrasing of our opening question to Metropolitan Jonah: “Where would you like to be in five years and how can the Orthodox Church in America and its Holy Synod help you to get there?”
Many options for Metropolitan Jonah were discussed, including various pastoral options and locations throughout the United States. We were unable to come to a resolution on that initial date or at any time in the following month. After my election, the Holy Synod presented a package to Metropolitan Jonah, where he would have a pastoral assignment in another diocese, complete with financial support and health insurance for a period of two years. This also was rejected by Metropolitan Jonah.

During this time, I was in conversation with members of the Russian Orthodox Church, including correspondence with Patriarch Kirill, and personal discussions with Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), Archbishop Justinian and Metropolitan Hilarion of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. I mention this because one of the options under
discussion was the possibility of a release of Metropolitan Jonah to another jurisdiction. This was his request at several points of our negotiation, but at this moment there has not been a request for his release from any jurisdiction.

In dialogue with the above mentioned members of the Russian Orthodox Church, we have come to a final proposal which would offer him an honorable situation and appropriate financial support. I believe that our Holy Synod has been very patient and very generous within the limits of what we can do as the Orthodox Church in America. The Holy Synod is asking the Metropolitan Council to give your approval to the specific financial package, which will be provided later."

Here is the financial package that was approved by the Metropolitan Council: "...$1000 per month until age 65, full medical coverage
for three years, assumption by the OCA of amounts owed by Metropolitan Jonah to the Diocese of the South, and moving expenses not to exceed $25,000. To recommend that the Holy Synod consider the impact on this package should Metropolitan Jonah leave the OCA and that general release and non-disparagement clauses be included in the agreement."
http://oca.org/cdn/PDFs/metropolitancouncil/2013/spring-metcouncil/spring13mcdraftminutes.pdf

So, it looks like he may well go to a position with MP/ROCOR. And, that means brothers and sisters, that our own Michal may well be remembered in the future as Prophet Michal!!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:03:51 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

I just wonder....

Here is a part of Metropolitan Tikhon's recent report to the Metropolitan Council of the OCA:

"At the Fall Session of the Holy Synod (October 9-11, 2012), the Holy Synod appointed me to enter into a process of negotiation with  Metropolitan Jonah. The purpose of this negotiation was to arrive at a mutually acceptable resolution to his situation following his resignation as Primate of the OCA in July.
The basic presupposition of the negotiation was contained in the phrasing of our opening question to Metropolitan Jonah: “Where would you like to be in five years and how can the Orthodox Church in America and its Holy Synod help you to get there?”
Many options for Metropolitan Jonah were discussed, including various pastoral options and locations throughout the United States. We were unable to come to a resolution on that initial date or at any time in the following month. After my election, the Holy Synod presented a package to Metropolitan Jonah, where he would have a pastoral assignment in another diocese, complete with financial support and health insurance for a period of two years. This also was rejected by Metropolitan Jonah.

During this time, I was in conversation with members of the Russian Orthodox Church, including correspondence with Patriarch Kirill, and personal discussions with Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), Archbishop Justinian and Metropolitan Hilarion of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. I mention this because one of the options under
discussion was the possibility of a release of Metropolitan Jonah to another jurisdiction. This was his request at several points of our negotiation, but at this moment there has not been a request for his release from any jurisdiction.

In dialogue with the above mentioned members of the Russian Orthodox Church, we have come to a final proposal which would offer him an honorable situation and appropriate financial support. I believe that our Holy Synod has been very patient and very generous within the limits of what we can do as the Orthodox Church in America. The Holy Synod is asking the Metropolitan Council to give your approval to the specific financial package, which will be provided later."

Here is the financial package that was approved by the Metropolitan Council: "...$1000 per month until age 65, full medical coverage
for three years, assumption by the OCA of amounts owed by Metropolitan Jonah to the Diocese of the South, and moving expenses not to exceed $25,000. To recommend that the Holy Synod consider the impact on this package should Metropolitan Jonah leave the OCA and that general release and non-disparagement clauses be included in the agreement."
http://oca.org/cdn/PDFs/metropolitancouncil/2013/spring-metcouncil/spring13mcdraftminutes.pdf

So, it looks like he may well go to a position with MP/ROCOR. And, that means brothers and sisters, that our own Michal may well be remembered in the future as Prophet Michal!!!

Smiley 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

Firstly I wanted to write "news" about Polish Church setting up its jurisdiction in America (centered in Wheaton etc.) but it would be to obvious.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »

Actually, I'd read that before. On the other hand, I think he wanted transfer to MP (either patriarchal parishes or ROCOR).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »

Firstly I wanted to write "news" about Polish Church setting up its jurisdiction in America (centered in Wheaton etc.) but it would be to obvious.

that would have been awesome too! 

or even better, a Polish church segment getting set up in Odessa or something like that would have been spicy. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: cheval amusant APRIL FOOL! Gotcha, sucker! 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: