OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 04:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was a little surprised by this  (Read 1325 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

So, I read this article about prohibited marriages in the Orthodox Church and I got a little surprised over this:

c. The non-Orthodox partner shall not be a member of the following churches or religions (these marriages are prohibited in the Eastern Orthodox Church):

(1) Assembly of God (2) Buddhism (i.e., a Buddhist) (3) Christian Scientist (4) Disciples of Christ (5) Members of any Far Eastern Religion (6) Hinduism (i.e., a Hindu) (7) Islam (i.e., Muslims) (8 Jehovah's Witness (9) Judaism (i.e., a Jew) (10) Mennonite (11) Mormon (also called "Latter Day Saints) (12) Any Non-Christian (13) Pentecostal (14) Quaker (15) Salvation Army (16) Seventh Day Adventist (17) Spiritualist (18) Swedenborgian (19) Unitarian (20) Cults or New Age movements.

I know that the Salvation Army is methodist and that we disagree on a lot of points with the Pentecostals, but as far as I know, they are both trinitarian. Or is it because they don't have a three-fold baptism?

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/03/prohibited-marriages-in-orthodox-church.html

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »

They aren't Orthodox...

That's the answer I've seen on this board before, anyway.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »

They aren't Orthodox...

Well, neither are lutherans, but we can marry them.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »

They aren't Orthodox...

Well, neither are lutherans, but we can marry them.

Not according to many members here you can't...
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »

So, I read this article about prohibited marriages in the Orthodox Church and I got a little surprised over this:

c. The non-Orthodox partner shall not be a member of the following churches or religions (these marriages are prohibited in the Eastern Orthodox Church):

(1) Assembly of God (2) Buddhism (i.e., a Buddhist) (3) Christian Scientist (4) Disciples of Christ (5) Members of any Far Eastern Religion (6) Hinduism (i.e., a Hindu) (7) Islam (i.e., Muslims) (8 Jehovah's Witness (9) Judaism (i.e., a Jew) (10) Mennonite (11) Mormon (also called "Latter Day Saints) (12) Any Non-Christian (13) Pentecostal (14) Quaker (15) Salvation Army (16) Seventh Day Adventist (17) Spiritualist (18) Swedenborgian (19) Unitarian (20) Cults or New Age movements.

I know that the Salvation Army is methodist and that we disagree on a lot of points with the Pentecostals, but as far as I know, they are both trinitarian. Or is it because they don't have a three-fold baptism?

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/03/prohibited-marriages-in-orthodox-church.html

Salvation Army is a church in other countries? In Finland it is basically just an inter-denominational charity and missionary organization. AFAIK most of the members are Lutherans.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »

Salvation Army is a church in other countries? In Finland it is basically just an inter-denominational charity and missionary organization. AFAIK most of the members are Lutherans.

I thought so too, but it is a denomination, largely based on methodist teachings.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army#Beliefs

The denomination does not celebrate the Christian sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion; although its officers conduct marriages, it holds a traditional Protestant belief that marriage was not instituted by Christ and therefore is not a sacrament.

Bolded parts clinch it.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

Mennonites are out, but Baptists are ok, even though Mennonites really hold a much more Apostolic view of Christianity? They believe in church hierarchy, sacraments, are not even opposed to the idea that the eucharist may be more than bread and wine. Their prayer books (another thing most Baptists would consider borderline satanic) are full of prayers indistinguishable from Orthodox prayers.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »

How did Discples of Christ get on the list? 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »

"These marriages are forbidden in the Orthodox Church." By whose authority? Did the bishops all get together in council and hammer out this list of forbidden marriages? Is this list just the rule of the blogger's bishop? Or is this list just a product of the blogger's opinion? AISI, such a list as this would be up to the jurisdiction of each bishop within his own diocese and may therefore vary from bishop to bishop.

BTW, many Pentecostal churches are actually modalist in their "trinitarian" theology.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:45:32 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »

BTW, many Pentecostal churches are actually modalist in their "trinitarian" theology.

Any Modalist would be not only excommunicated but probably actually condemned to Hell in every Pentecostal parish I know.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Any Modalist would be not only excommunicated but probably actually condemned to Hell in every Pentecostal parish I know.
Then you don't know many Pentecostal churches. I'm thinking of such Oneness Pentecostals as the United Pentecostal Church International.

Oneness Pentecostals and Modalists dispute the traditional Trinitarian doctrine, while affirming the Christian doctrine of God taking on flesh as Jesus Christ. Like Trinitarians, Oneness adherents believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. However, whereas Trinitarians believe that "God the Son", the eternal second person of the Trinity, became man, Oneness adherents hold that the one and only true God—who manifests himself in any way he chooses, including as Father, Son and Holy Spirit—became man. Oneness Pentecostals and other modalists are regarded by Catholic, Orthodox, and some other mainstream Christians as heretical for rejecting the Trinity Doctrine, which they regard as equivalent to Unitarianism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabellianism
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »

Wonder why the Assembly of God is specifically listed since Pentecostal is also listed?

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »

Some Pentecostals are Trinitarian, but others are Oneness (in various forms). I've met a number of modalist Pentecostals. They're just so disorganized, it's hard to tell what anyone means when they identify (or even talk about) "Pentecostals."

As for the Sallies (Salvation Army), they are not generally considered Christians, as they practice no sacraments, even Baptism and the Lord's Supper are not conducted by them in any way.

The OP also listed the AoG. Honestly, I'm not sure why they're listed separately. I usually think of them as Pentecostals. I'm also not sure why Baptists didn't make it on here. I've certainly heard them mentioned in the same breath as these other groups before.

It's my assumption that this list is from a bishop somewhere, as Mr. Sanidopoulos is quite trustworthy and well-researched. I would guess,  however, that this list does vary somewhat from diocese to diocese, or at least jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

Then you don't know many Pentecostal churches.

My father was a Pentecostal elder and now he is a pastor. I do know lots of Pentecostal churches. Modalist Pentecostalism is a weird offshoot and not really representative of Pentecostalism.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »

My father was a Pentecostal elder and now he is a pastor. I do know lots of Pentecostal churches. Modalist Pentecostalism is a weird offshoot and not really representative of Pentecostalism.

I'd agree that they're a weird offshoot, but it also seems that they are growing.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »

The Restoration Movement is pretty shaky on the Trinity.  The founders discouraged the use of the word even.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »

The Salvation Army one is a little strange, but the Pentecostal one seems well justified. Let's face it; they're pretty weird and very unorthodox.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army#Beliefs

The denomination does not celebrate the Christian sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion; although its officers conduct marriages, it holds a traditional Protestant belief that marriage was not instituted by Christ and therefore is not a sacrament.

Bolded parts clinch it.

Well in that case, how come Evangelicals aren't on that list? Most of them don't believe marriage to be a Sacrament either.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

What about Messianic Jews? They are not on the list as they are not only Jews, but Messianic Jews.  Roll Eyes

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »

"These marriages are forbidden in the Orthodox Church." By whose authority? Did the bishops all get together in council and hammer out this list of forbidden marriages? Is this list just the rule of the blogger's bishop? Or is this list just a product of the blogger's opinion? AISI, such a list as this would be up to the jurisdiction of each bishop within his own diocese and may therefore vary from bishop to bishop.

Maybe if we're going the "every bishopric contains the fullness of the faith" argument.  Otherwise, I think it's relatively easy to identify non-Christian or typically non-Trinitarian traditions or practices (which seems to be a near-universal criteria for non-Orthodox marriage dispensation).  I would think that if a Pentecostal or Salvation Armyer could provide evidence of a Trinitarian baptism/christening, them being broadly identified on this guideline list wouldn't matter.  Maybe the "These marriages are forbidden..." comment should've had a generally qualifier or further explanation.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Well in that case, how come Evangelicals aren't on that list? Most of them don't believe marriage to be a Sacrament either.

Evangelical is not a specific denomination, like most of the ones listed.  You can be an Evangelical Lutheran, for instance.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »

What about Messianic Jews? They are not on the list as they are not only Jews, but Messianic Jews.  Roll Eyes

They are not on the list, because everyone knows they are legit as legit can be.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »

They are not on the list, because everyone knows they are legit as legit can be.

This means I am allowed to find and marry one soon!  laugh

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

This means I am allowed to find and marry one soon!  laugh

If only you could be that blessed.  Would you then become a twice removed Messianic Jew?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »

Evangelical is not a specific denomination, like most of the ones listed.  You can be an Evangelical Lutheran, for instance.

'Evangelical' is just a polite way to say 'basket case'. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

If only you could be that blessed.  Would you then become a twice removed Messianic Jew?

Twice removed?  Huh

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

I think some Pentacostals baptise "In the Name of Jesus" too, rather than the Trinitarian formula. I suppose the diversity within the movement would make it difficult for an Orthodox priest, and sometimes even the Pentecostal person themselves, to be certain about these details.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

You can't spell Evangelical without angel. Think about it.  police
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

You can't spell Evangelical without angel. Think about it.  police

Wishful thinking? angel

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »

Paint with a rather broad brush much?
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

Only personal experience. The triggers appear rather quickly, and the gleam about the eyes is frankly scary.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »

I don't know. What IS representative of Pentecostalism? How do you define Pentecostalism? How does this list of forbidden marriages define "Pentecostal"?
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

Only personal experience. The triggers appear rather quickly, and the gleam about the eyes is frankly scary.
How broad is your personal experience?
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:35 PM »

A fair bit. If it was just over the internet, I wouldn't even count it. But meeting the same attitude in meatspace was... frightening.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

Evangelical is not a specific denomination, like most of the ones listed.  You can be an Evangelical Lutheran, for instance.

A fair bit. If it was just over the internet, I wouldn't even count it. But meeting the same attitude in meatspace was... frightening.
A fair bit? How many Evangelicals have you known? How many different Evangelical churches have you visited? Who do you even count as being an Evangelical?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:30:09 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

Evangelical is not a specific denomination, like most of the ones listed.  You can be an Evangelical Lutheran, for instance.

A fair bit? How many Evangelicals have you known? How many different Evangelical churches have you visited?

Are we playing 'stand up and be counted' here? I've been actively harassed by them (they call it 'witnessing'). Almost physically restrained from exiting a venue where an impromptu meeting was thrown together. You couldn't pay me to visit one of their churches.

Yes, I understand that the bigger the jackass, the louder the bray, but in none of those occasions did anyone saner step up to rein in said bigger jackasses. They may have been afraid of being kicked.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »

You can't spell PeterTheAleut without "trap"!  (Well, without those letters, anyway)

But back to evangelicals. Christianity is like a sports league with 30 teams. And Evangelicals are like the team in 30th place. It's easy to pick on them and poke at them. Showing their weaknesses is like shooting fish in a barrel... But can't we just pity them and leave them alone?  angel
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:38:30 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »

A fair bit? How many Evangelicals have you known? How many different Evangelical churches have you visited?

Are we playing 'stand up and be counted' here? I've been actively harassed by them (they call it 'witnessing'). Almost physically restrained from exiting a venue where an impromptu meeting was thrown together. You couldn't pay me to visit one of their churches.

Yes, I understand that the bigger the jackass, the louder the bray, but in none of those occasions did anyone saner step up to rein in said bigger jackasses. They may have been afraid of being kicked.
Yes, I see that you've had a rather negative experience with one or maybe two Evangelical groups, but I don't think it possible or wise to make such broad generalizations as you make from just the few experiences you've had.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »

Yes, I see that you've had a rather negative experience with one or maybe two Evangelical groups, but I don't think it possible or wise to make such broad generalizations as you make from just the few experiences you've had.

I'm open to being proven wrong. But, given the circumstances, that would have to be over the internet. Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »

I'm open to being proven wrong.
No one can prove your experiences wrong, but it is possible for you to refrain from making such hasty generalizations from your personal experiences, generalizations I often think needlessly insulting and detrimental to fruitful conversation.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »

Twice removed?  Huh

Maybe the marriage would make you a third-class Messianic Jew [akin to the RC relic classification system]? 

I'll stop while I'm behind.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »

Some Pentecostals are Trinitarian, but others are Oneness (in various forms). I've met a number of modalist Pentecostals. They're just so disorganized, it's hard to tell what anyone means when they identify (or even talk about) "Pentecostals."

As for the Sallies (Salvation Army), they are not generally considered Christians, as they practice no sacraments, even Baptism and the Lord's Supper are not conducted by them in any way.

The OP also listed the AoG. Honestly, I'm not sure why they're listed separately. I usually think of them as Pentecostals. I'm also not sure why Baptists didn't make it on here. I've certainly heard them mentioned in the same breath as these other groups before.

It's my assumption that this list is from a bishop somewhere, as Mr. Sanidopoulos is quite trustworthy and well-researched. I would guess,  however, that this list does vary somewhat from diocese to diocese, or at least jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
I've seen a number of such lists, and this one has the usual suspects (though it is redundant in some places-perhaps to be clear).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »

Form of baptism, IIRC.  One immersion, "in the Name of Jesus."

Btw, this is one of complaints (and betrays the Protestantism of the script writer) of "The Bible" recent series.  No Trinitarian baptisms.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: