Author Topic: Paschal greeting in Somali?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
Paschal greeting in Somali?
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
Any suggestions?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Paschal greeting in Somali?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
According to Pascha Polyglotta, it is "Ciise wuu soo daalacey ; runtii wuu soo daalacey." In Somali, the letter C corresponds to the Arabic 'ayn (this guy: ﻉ, representing a voiced pharyngeal fricative); long vowels are represented orthographically by doubling the letter.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »
D'uh! I thought I checked Paschal Polyglotta without any results. Thanks.

Pronunciation of Somali words seems rather cryptic. It could be fun to learn the language some day but I fear that I'd never learn how to properly pronounce it.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »
I don't know. It doesn't seem very hard to me. The writing system and its correspondence to the spoken language seems pretty transparent, with the notable exception of lacking tone markers. If I recall correctly, Somali only has two tones, so it's probably easy to get a hang of once you're used to hearing the spoken language.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
I don't know. It doesn't seem very hard to me. The writing system and its correspondence to the spoken language seems pretty transparent

I worked in a Somali-related project for some time and just about every time I tried to pronounce some Somali word to an actual Somali he/she didn't understand what I was talking about. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:38:28 PM by Alpo »