OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positive Step for the Right-To-Die Movement  (Read 2858 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: March 30, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »

Arizona man, 86, sentenced to probation after mercy killing of his ailing wife

There was no doubt 86-year-old George Sanders killed his ailing wife. Yet everyone in the small Arizona courtroom — the prosecutor, the judge and even the couple's family members — agreed it was a time for compassion, not punishment...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:36 AM »

Watch out with the right-to-die movement. You give them a finger and they take the whole hand.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »

That is a very sad story. My mother was forced to endure waaay too much suffering at the end of her life, and wanted to have her life ended a month before she finally starved to death and her organs failed (Pancreatic Cancer). A year before her, my grandmother died of ALS, and would have probably accepted assisted suicide. Shortly after my mom passed, I joined this group: http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/ We show mercy to suffering animals. We need to allow humans to die with dignity, too. The entire process would have to be as airtight and secure as possible so that it doesn't get abused. But things need to change.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »

Perhaps it's just the right time. There's a reason Amour has been such a runaway success.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »

How to Die in Oregon (2011) is a good, albeit sometimes painful documentary about the right-to-die issue. Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1715802/

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »

My grandmother ended up with gangrene in her foot - my uncle decided to with-hold care - which is how she died...from gangrene poisoning.  She died an incredibly painful death - and my heart aches for that.  My uncle ended up with dementia and died in a nursing home in diapers. 

I don't know what the best decision would have been - only God sees the heart.  This man was acting in compassion to his wife, and in love. . . as much as he could, he probably did the hardest thing he ever did in his life because he loved her so much. . .but God sees more than I do, or anyone else for that matter.  What were the motives of my uncle ordering the treatment to be withheld from my grandmother so that she would die from the gangrene?  I don't know.  I wasn't there in his heart.  I try not to judge, but I confess, I'm not very good at it in this case.  There were too many things that he benefited from by her death.

But God sees the heart.  And He said 'vengence is mine, I will repay.'  I can trust that.  My uncle was a brilliant man - a doctor - and he died in diapers. 

This man who shot his wife - somehow I think Justice was served better with mercy.  What a beautiful painful thing to witness in the news.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »

Trampling down death to give us the right to die?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »

Be careful, this is only an inch away from "You have a right to die, whether you want it or not."
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »

For us, I don't think that's even an argument. . . as Christians. . .as Orthodox Christians. . .we trust in something Higher.  But we are still to judge with mercy - judging correctly. 

For the world?  It doesn't have that hope.  Their understanding of life and the trampling down of death doesn't exist. 

But to live is Christ, to die is gain.  However it happens, for whatever reason it happens. . . mercy triumphs over judgement.  Love conquers a multitude of sin.  Even the most heinous acts . . . can be covered by His Grace. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »

Be careful, this is only an inch away from "You have a right to die, whether you want it or not."

This. It is already happening in Europe.

-Samuel Coleridge
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:45 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »

Not really relevant since the death he trampled down was not physical death, but hey, you still get marks for being clever.  Cool

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »

Which has been proven by experience.

-Samuel Coleridge
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

Grandma needs to die with dignity or we'll miss our cruise next week.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »

If I were to ever develop dementia or Alzheimer's or any of the other mental conditions when I become an old person, I'd like to be put down than live without my right mind.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »

decent palliative care is not as difficult as the proponents of euthanasia try to make out.
the first hospices were in the monasteries in europe, western asia and north africa, where terminally ill people would be treated with dignity (didn't involve premature death) and love, instead of being left to die in pain at home or on the street.

it's interesting how the generation that invented the widespread abortion of babies now risks being killed prematurely in old age.
 Sad
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »

decent palliative care is not as difficult as the proponents of euthanasia try to make out.
the first hospices were in the monasteries in europe, western asia and north africa, where terminally ill people would be treated with dignity (didn't involve premature death) and love, instead of being left to die in pain at home or on the street.

it's interesting how the generation that invented the widespread abortion of babies now risks being killed prematurely in old age.
 Sad

In my experience, decent palliative care isn't always good enough.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »

If I were to ever develop dementia or Alzheimer's or any of the other mental conditions when I become an old person, I'd like to be put down than live without my right mind.

If you ever develop dementia or alzheimers (God forbid), you probably won't care.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »

What makes you so sure you are in your right mind now?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

Sad

I recently read that many more people are living far longer than what was previously deemed natural, and because of this, more people are experiencing greater amounts of old-age suffering. In ways, perhaps we're living too long nowadays. Also, I read that doctors often refuse to receive many of the life extending treatments that others receive automatically (unless they find ways to opt out). This is because they know that their suffering will only be protracted if they are kept alive. Some food for thought.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:52:53 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

If you ever develop dementia or alzheimers (God forbid), you probably won't care.

At least you get to meet new people every day.

A man goes to the doctor to get the results of some tests.

I have bad news. You have cancer.

That's terrible

But that's not all. You also have alzheimers.

Well.............. At least I dont have cancer.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »

"Death with dignity" is, to me, nothing more than a euphemism for control. "I'm taking control of my life away from God and into my own hands so I can die as I see fit." Because this desire for control focuses on "what I want", it's generally very selfish and in accordance with the mind of this fallen world, not with the mind of Christ. Who's to say, though, that one's life can't be a blessing to other people even in death (an unhastened death according solely to God's timing)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:02:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

"Death with dignity" is, to me, nothing more than a euphemism for control. "I'm taking control of my life away from God and into my own hands so I can die as I see fit." Because this desire for control focuses on "what I want", it's generally very selfish and in accordance with the mind of this fallen world, not with the mind of Christ. Who's to say, though, that one's life can't be a blessing to other people even in death (an unhastened death according solely to God's timing)?

If helping a loved one avoid days or weeks of terrible and unnecessary suffering is selfishness, then go ahead and call me a selfish man.  Smiley

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »

If helping a loved one avoid days or weeks of terrible and unnecessary suffering is selfishness, then go ahead and call me a selfish man.  Smiley
By whose standards are you judging someone's suffering terrible and unnecessary: the mind of this fallen world, or the mind of Christ?
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

If helping a loved one avoid days or weeks of terrible and unnecessary suffering is selfishness, then go ahead and call me a selfish man.  Smiley
By whose standards are you judging someone's suffering terrible and unnecessary: the mind of this fallen world, or the mind of Christ?

Oh, what a load of hooey. In this case, I am judging someone's suffering terrible and unnecessary by her own words. And my own observations. Surely you don't think that all suffering has a point or is God-ordained? If it does, that is one warped God, isn't it? It would make Him complicit in the torture of millions of humans and animals.

Let's be real, here...  Cry

In cases of terrible suffering, where all hope for survival is lost, by far the most merciful thing to do is give the sufferer the right to die on his/her own terms. Surely our great God wouldn't be eternally offended if we wrested control from Him for just a moment in order to end someone's agony.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:24:17 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

I am sorry for being snarky, Peter. The painful memories of my mom dying are still fresh and vivid for me, as it occurred two years ago around this time. It's hard for me not to take this discussion personally. So I should probably leave it alone. Forgive me, peeps!

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

Here's a thought; if someone had a really bad sin and truly could not stop doing it, would it be better for him to commit suicide so that he doesn't do it anymore, or to keep doing the sin?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »

Here's a thought; if someone had a really bad sin and truly could not stop doing it, would it be better for him to commit suicide so that he doesn't do it anymore, or to keep doing the sin?
Why compound the sin by committing the ultimate sin?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »

Not really relevant since the death he trampled down was not physical death, but hey, you still get marks for being clever.  Cool
* is risen from vague spiritual unpleasantness,
Trampling down vague spiritual unpleasantness by vague spiritual unpleasantness,
And upon those in vague spiritual unpleasantness,
Bestowing vague spiritual pleasantness!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:45:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »

Not really relevant since the death he trampled down was not physical death, but hey, you still get marks for being clever.  Cool
Was Christ's resurrection merely a spiritual resurrection, such that His bones can still be found in the tomb?
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »

Was Christ's resurrection merely a spiritual resurrection, such that His bones can still be found in the tomb?

this reminds me, one time a person I know was invited to a birthday party where the folks were Bahai , and one guest was ridiculing the orthodox teaching of Christ's Resurrection saying' well the reason they did not find anything in the tomb was because Jesus had told his disciples that eating his flesh and drinking his blood would make them live forever.so they must have taken him at his word' and the person I know replied ' you are right Christ did teach that whoever eats his flesh and drinks of his blood shall have Eternal Life. but as you would recall, he never said anything about chewing his bones, so you see if they had come at night and cannibalized him , the Romans would have found his bones in the tomb.' the clown laughed then quickly changed the subject.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »

this reminds me, one time a person I know was invited to a birthday party where the folks were Bahai , and one guest was ridiculing the orthodox teaching of Christ's Resurrection saying' well the reason they did not find anything in the tomb was because Jesus had told his disciples that eating his flesh and drinking his blood would make them live forever.so they must have taken him at his word' and the person I know replied ' you are right Christ did teach that whoever eats his flesh and drinks of his blood shall have Eternal Life. but as you would recall, he never said anything about chewing his bones, so you see if they had come at night and cannibalized him , the Romans would have found his bones in the tomb.' the clown laughed then quickly changed the subject.
My Bahai friend, who is a very righteous person in conduct, maintains that Christ was a spirit, as "a spirit does not have flesh and bones as I have" leaves out "blood", which is the only real marker of a physical being.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

But one problem with that is we have already taken control and many times extend life way past it's natural end.

If you find yourself in a nursing home, they will keep you going even if you are little more than a husk. They will feeding tube you and reel you back from the brink over and over . The cost of a nursing home around here is about $7,300 per month. You are a virtual money machine to them.
My mother in law screamed every three or four minutes the last full year of her life, spent in a nursing home... I think a little too much morphine administered just right would have been far preferable.

So until I see an xray that shows a feeding tube as a natural God-Given appendage...............
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:52:36 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

I find it very odd and twisted in society how we could legally kill the unconsenting unborn who haven't even started their life, but we can't kill the consenting old person in pain who's already lived most their life.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:41 AM »

We need to allow humans to die with dignity, too.

There is nothing dignified about what you're advocating.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »

Since I've never taken drugs or anything like that...

I told my wife:

"If I'm ever terminally ill and can't hardly take care of myself, bring me up in an airplane, rig me with skydiving gear, give me 10,000 hits of LSD, and chunk me out of the plane."

At least it would be fun.... for a little while anyway. Wink

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:19 AM »

Pretty sure he actually died physically and rose physically.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:40 AM »

Not really relevant since the death he trampled down was not physical death, but hey, you still get marks for being clever.  Cool

I think He did trample down physical death as well as spiritual death. Won't we have physical bodies in heaven?

Selam

(Sorry, just saw that Peter and Alveus beat me to it.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:10:57 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:08 AM »

I find it very odd and twisted in society how we could legally kill the unconsenting unborn who haven't even started their life, but we can't kill the consenting old person in pain who's already lived most their life.

Yes, that is twisted. But let's not kill any of them. Ease their suffering, provide comfort, work to heal, but don't kill.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 05:03:52 AM »

That is a very sad story. My mother was forced to endure waaay too much suffering at the end of her life, and wanted to have her life ended a month before she finally starved to death and her organs failed (Pancreatic Cancer). A year before her, my grandmother died of ALS, and would have probably accepted assisted suicide. Shortly after my mom passed, I joined this group: http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/ We show mercy to suffering animals. We need to allow humans to die with dignity, too. The entire process would have to be as airtight and secure as possible so that it doesn't get abused. But things need to change.
I seem to recall a study in the Netherlands that 40% of the time the doctors didn't tell the patient when they were cashing in their chips.

then there's that problem with eager heirs....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 07:22:58 AM »

All the scientific progress on prolonging life can easily cross into 'just because you can doesn't mean you should' territory. Life support is not something that should go on indefinitely. I feel living wills need to be more respected - legally binding, if necessary.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 07:26:10 AM »

I seem to recall a study in the Netherlands that 40% of the time the doctors didn't tell the patient when they were cashing in their chips.

It's true. One of the few reasons why I'm ashamed to be Dutch. They'll sometimes pull the plug even without permission.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:26:33 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »

My grandmother developed Alzheimers and lived at home with us for seven years until she died in her own bed.  My parents cared for her with love and patience, and I think they were on to something awesome.  They neither prolonged or shortened her life, and have never voiced any regrets in the twenty-five years since she died. 

Love, elephant
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

We need to allow humans to die with dignity, too.

There is nothing dignified about what you're advocating.

Why not? Where is the dignity in leaving someone to suffer, maxed out on morphine, wearing a diaper, moaning out in pain for someone to have the mercy and good sense to end their suffering?

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

One more thing...

What I am advocating is not what others here seem to think I am advocating. I am not advocating any assisted suicide where the person dying is not in control of the decision. I am aware of many of the dangers of euthanasia and the ways it can be abused. What I am advocating are laws that would allow people with grievous, terminal illnesses to be able to avoid the suffering of the ends of their lives and their inevitable deaths. For instance, take ALS, otherwise know as Lou Gerrick's disease. When you are diagnosed, you are not given a long time to live. The muscles in your mouth and throat simply stop working, which makes it impossible to drink or eat or swallow. You must receive food through a feeding tube. You are told that you will likely eventually choke or suffocate to death. These people shouldn't have to wait around until that horrible day when they begin to choke to death! They should have the choice to legally end their lives.

I see an end of life procedure going something like this... the patient and a friend or relative have to sign some papers saying that the patient wants to undergo the life-ending treatment, a doctor or counselor has to consult with the patient to make sure that they are in their right mind and have good reason to want to end their life, a committee of doctors must ascertain that the patient is indeed terminal, and all of this is sent to a lawyer who oversees the case and makes sure that everything goes according to plan. Something like that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:32:10 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: