OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:14:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it," (John 14:14)  (Read 469 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:31 AM »

So....what's the official cop-out "explain-it-away" answer to this one? How come I could ask Christ for a bunch of things but in most, if not all, cases, my prayers go unanswered? He never threw in any if's, and's or but's in this passage. Thus, I don't see why nothing we ask for in His name happens. I like to ask for freedom to do what I want without any repercussions, but it doesn't happen.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:58:16 AM »

"Whatever you ask in My name that will I do so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name I will do it..."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:01:13 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42:07 AM »

So....what's the official cop-out "explain-it-away" answer to this one? How come I could ask Christ for a bunch of things but in most, if not all, cases, my prayers go unanswered? He never threw in any if's, and's or but's in this passage. Thus, I don't see why nothing we ask for in His name happens. I like to ask for freedom to do what I want without any repercussions, but it doesn't happen.

According to your patron saints prayers for bad things are sinful.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »

1 Jn. 5:14-15
James 4:3

You're welcome  Cool
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:47:43 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

So....what's the official cop-out "explain-it-away" answer to this one?

Well, with that kind of attitude, are you surprised you don't get what you ask for? Also, if you want another cop-out "explain-it-away" answer, God is not your personal vending machine, nor is prayer magic conforming to your every evil whim.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »

Well, with that kind of attitude, are you surprised you don't get what you ask for? Also, if you want another cop-out "explain-it-away" answer, God is not your personal vending machine, nor is prayer magic conforming to your every evil whim.

JamesR, you just found the most common non-answer.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

I asked for a pony in 1981. Didn't get it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »

You didn't name and claim, thats why  Grin
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »

You didn't name and claim, thats why  Grin

She did, but the name was already under trademark by Hasboro.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:56:17 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »

Is the father glorified by the son by letting you do what you want?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »

God is not your personal vending machine, nor is prayer magic conforming to your every evil whim.

JamesR, you just found the most common non-answer.
It is a non-answer I happen to agree with; here is another...

"'When human beings completely obliterate their own egotism and reach the state of theosis or union with God,' Father Maximos explained as we reached elder Paisios's gate, 'then whatever they wish is what God wishes and it is given. There is little separation between the will of the perfected, Christified individual and the will of God. Such is the state of sainthood, the state that elder Paisios reached after his lifelong ascetical struggles. He freed himself from his egotistical passions to such a degree,' Father Maximos explained, 'that he became a purified vessel through which the blessings and energies of the Holy Spirit were channeled. ...According to the Athonite spiritual tradition, when a human being eradicates personal desires completely... they become a 'vessel of the Holy spirit.' Then whatever that person wishes is given because it is what God actually wishes. The consciousness of the saint is fully attuned with the Spirit of God" (Kyriacos Markides, The Mountain of Silence (2001), pp. 10, 81).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:35:33 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »

James, I'm in no shape spiritually to give you an answer that will be true. . .but I will answer what I've experienced and hopefully it will help.  I hope He will bless these words with His Mercy.  (and what every I ask in His Name, He will do) - in the Name of the Father, the Son, Jesus the true Christ, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

When I was seven years old I prayed my first true prayer from the heart.  It was honest, it wasn't selfish, it was a true prayer from a true heart.  My first two years in elementary school was horrible.  I was terribly bullied.  I remembered a lesson I was taught by a nun about how Christ didn't complain when He sent to the Cross.  He went willingly, He didn't complain.  So I tried my best to be Christ-like during this time. . ..I didn't complain.  I tried with everything I had to turn the other cheek.  Children, really do have a ton up on us who are older and 'wiser'.  

Then came the straw that broke the camel's back.  My lunch money disappeared every day, no matter where I put it.  Someone was stealing it.  I would have to charge my lunch then go home and tell my mother.  She was an abusive parent - so I got in trouble for it, every day.  She threatened me that if it disappeared one more time, then I would get the hairbrush.  This was a metal hairbrush that had air vents.  It hurt like no tomorrow to get hit by it.

The next day, it was stolen again, but this time I saw who was stealing it - and confronted the boy.  I begged him to return the money, and told him all would be forgiven, but if he didn't return it, I was going to get beaten for it.  I was in tears.  He finally relented and gave the change back.  He never stole it again.  

But that wasn't the prayer.  The prayer was that He would strengthen me to continue to endure and turn my cheek . . . I asked for forgiveness for not turning it this time.  For crying, for complaining to the boy that stole my lunch money about my mom.

The rest of the prayer was this:  To please stop the abuse at school. . .and to bring these kids to apologize to me and to recognize their wrong. . .that they might turn to Him.  

Children. . .I envy them, now.  I envy myself as a child, now.  I long for that same . . . beautiful . . . trust in Him.

I was in the second grade when I prayed this.  For the first time, in my heart, I KNEW He heard my prayer.  I KNEW IT.  So, I didn't pray it again, I didn't worry about it.
The third year went by, the fourth year went by, the fifth year. . .and all the years where just like the years previous.  

Then, my father, a Marine, who NEVER got orders because he was such an excellent instructor at the Naval Base where we were stationed - got orders, and we moved to Florida.

The abuse ended.

I made new friends, I had a four year break.  

Then he got orders BACK to the same base.  I would go to the same school.  I would be surrounded with the same kids.  

SEVEN years later - three years after we moved back, I was eating my packed lunch, alone - and this same group of kids walked up to me.  I could feel myself tighten up in anxiety as I saw them walking up.  This was about twenty kids.  Then one of the boys spoke for the group and said, "I want to apologize, and all of us want to apologize for the way we treated you when we were in elementary school."  All the other kids nodded with him.  Then he continued.  "I want you to know that I've turned my life to Christ because of what I saw in you.  We bullied you, you constantly turned the other cheek.  You never told on us, you never got mad at us, you never treated us badly.  You just kept turning the other cheek."
He started to cry.  I was never filled with so much joy than at THAT MOMENT.

This 'boy' grew up and became a pastor.  

This was my first answered prayer.  It certainly wasn't the last.

I turned 50 years old the other day.  As I said, I will tell you what I've learned about answered prayer, from my experience.  . . and you can take what you can use, and leave what you can't.  It's free.  

I learned that every prayer that has ever been answered is prayer that I KNOW He's heard.  If He doesn't hear it, then He doesn't answer it.  Asking in the VERBAL NAME is not what He means.  Asking in the SPIRITUAL NAME is what He means.  Christ IS THE NAME.  It's not the title, it's not the letters someone writes to form a sound. . .HIS NAME IS BEING. HIS NAME IS CHRIST. . .HIS NAME IS DIMENSIONAL.  Living, breathing, moving, acting, CHRIST.

You don't ask Him to do something 'in His Name' by words from your mouth or from thoughts in your mind.  You ask Him for something by and THROUGH - dying.  Christ.  Christ IS dying to self.  To live is CHRIST to die is gain. . . Your actions are CHRIST.  Your actions are HIS NAME.  Your actions, your choices, to die to the flesh and to live to CHRIST is CHRIST.  To ask for something in His Name is to become ONE with HIM.

If you speak his name verbally and expect an answer, you will never be heard.  If you LIVE HIS NAME, He will hear you and ask what you will, it will be done for you.  I've seen this over and over and over and over and over again.  Living in His name protects your heart.  You ask correctly and selflessly.  You ask with hope and with true faith.  

I hope this makes sense.  I'm asking you to forgive me for anything that doesn't, as I'm really struggling with living in His Name right now. . .and I'm seriously not one to talk.  

But I know this as truth, because I am a witness to it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:32:12 AM by quietmorning » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »

Of course ifs, ands and buts are implicit. A grandfather may tell his grandchild he can have anything he wants, but he means toys, rabbits, puppies or candy. No one would ever think it means the grandfather would go out and kill someone if he asked it. If it is in accord with the will of the father it will be done.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »

I will add one thing, just for clarity:  If you ask in His Name, verbally, you simply haven't asked in His Name.  He isn't bound by a response because you haven't asked in His Name. . .you asked in YOUR VERBAL UTTERANCE.   Does this make any sense?
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

James, I'm in no shape spiritually to give you an answer that will be true. . .but I will answer what I've experienced and hopefully it will help.  I hope He will bless these words with His Mercy.  (and what every I ask in His Name, He will do) - in the Name of the Father, the Son, Jesus the true Christ, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

When I was seven years old I prayed my first true prayer from the heart.  It was honest, it wasn't selfish, it was a true prayer from a true heart.  My first two years in elementary school was horrible.  I was terribly bullied.  I remembered a lesson I was taught by a nun about how Christ didn't complain when He sent to the Cross.  He went willingly, He didn't complain.  So I tried my best to be Christ-like during this time. . ..I didn't complain.  I tried with everything I had to turn the other cheek.  Children, really do have a ton up on us who are older and 'wiser'.  

Then came the straw that broke the camel's back.  My lunch money disappeared every day, no matter where I put it.  Someone was stealing it.  I would have to charge my lunch then go home and tell my mother.  She was an abusive parent - so I got in trouble for it, every day.  She threatened me that if it disappeared one more time, then I would get the hairbrush.  This was a metal hairbrush that had air vents.  It hurt like no tomorrow to get hit by it.

The next day, it was stolen again, but this time I saw who was stealing it - and confronted the boy.  I begged him to return the money, and told him all would be forgiven, but if he didn't return it, I was going to get beaten for it.  I was in tears.  He finally relented and gave the change back.  He never stole it again.  

But that wasn't the prayer.  The prayer was that He would strengthen me to continue to endure and turn my cheek . . . I asked for forgiveness for not turning it this time.  For crying, for complaining to the boy that stole my lunch money about my mom.

The rest of the prayer was this:  To please stop the abuse at school. . .and to bring these kids to apologize to me and to recognize their wrong. . .that they might turn to Him.  

Children. . .I envy them, now.  I envy myself as a child, now.  I long for that same . . . beautiful . . . trust in Him.

I was in the second grade when I prayed this.  For the first time, in my heart, I KNEW He heard my prayer.  I KNEW IT.  So, I didn't pray it again, I didn't worry about it.
The third year went by, the fourth year went by, the fifth year. . .and all the years where just like the years previous.  

Then, my father, a Marine, who NEVER got orders because he was such an excellent instructor at the Naval Base where we were stationed - got orders, and we moved to Florida.

The abuse ended.

Then he got orders BACK to the same base.  I would go to the same school.  I would be surrounded with the same kids.  

SEVEN years later - three years after we moved back, I was eating my packed lunch, alone - and this same group of kids walked up to me.  I could feel myself tighten up in anxiety as I saw them walking up.  This was about twenty kids.  Then one of the boys spoke for the group and said, "I want to apologize, and all of us want to apologize for the way we treated you when we were in elementary school."  All the other kids nodded with him.  Then he continued.  "I want you to know that I've turned my life to Christ because of what I saw in you.  We bullied you, you constantly turned the other cheek.  You never told on us, you never got mad at us, you never treated us badly.  You just kept turning the other cheek."

I turned 50 years old the other day.  As I said, I will tell you what I've learned about answered prayer, from my experience.  . . and you can take what you can use, and leave what you can't.  It's free.  

I learned that every prayer that has ever been answered is prayer that I KNOW He's heard.  If He doesn't hear it, then He doesn't answer it.  Asking in the VERBAL NAME is not what He means.  Asking in the SPIRITUAL NAME is what He means.  Christ IS THE NAME.  It's not the title, it's not the letters someone writes to form a sound. . .HIS NAME IS BEING. HIS NAME IS CHRIST. . .HIS NAME IS DIMENSIONAL.  Living, breathing, moving, acting, CHRIST.

You don't ask Him to do something 'in His Name' by words from your mouth or from thoughts in your mind.  You ask Him for something by and THROUGH - dying.  Christ.  Christ IS dying to self.  To live is CHRIST to die is gain. . . Your actions are CHRIST.  Your actions are HIS NAME.  Your actions, your choices, to die to the flesh and to live to CHRIST is CHRIST.  To ask for something in His Name is to become ONE with HIM.

If you speak his name verbally and expect an answer, you will never be heard.  If you LIVE HIS NAME, He will hear you and ask what you will, it will be done for you.  I've seen this over and over and over and over and over again.  Living in His name protects your heart.  You ask correctly and selflessly.  You ask with hope and with true faith.  

I hope this makes sense.  I'm asking you to forgive me for anything that doesn't, as I'm really struggling with living in His Name right now. . .and I'm seriously not one to talk.  

Beautiful and encouraging words, quiet morning. Thanks for sharing them!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 12:34:11 PM »

The abuse ended.

quitemorning, so beautiful! Thank you.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: