OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypothetical Situation  (Read 924 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 30, 2013, 01:00:57 AM »

Let's say that the Pope met with an Orthodox Patriarch and officially recanted the RC doctrines of the Papacy, Immaculate Conception, the Filioque and all other doctrines which the Orthodox consider to be heresy, and wanted the Roman Catholic Church to officially rejoin the Orthodox Church.

What would happen?

Especially, how would this affect the whole North American jurisdiction situation? Technically, since America is in the west, and since the Pope would probably reclaim his first-among-equals title from Constantinople, wouldn't North America become the Pope's territory? I imagine that the more convertsky jurisdictions like the OCA and Antiochians would jump at the opportunity of falling under the Pope's jurisdiction, since it would give us more of that unity we've been craving for so long. On the other hand, I imagine that the more immigrant Churches--such as the Greeks, wouldn't like it one bit, and would possibly become schismatic. I also imagine that the current Ecumenical Patriarch wouldn't like it because he'd lose his Ecumenical status, and possibly lose his control over North America.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »

If you watch the DVD video about Christianity it talks about the rise of fall of empires ... technically, things could happen and the balance of power shifts around.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »

No one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:50 AM »

I don't even... *holds hurting head*
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »

I feel bad saying it, but I wouldn't want to share my parish with a bunch of lapsed Roman Catholics who don't even know what's going on/the difference between us and would just sit around with their hands in their pockets and try to shorten the Liturgy to 45 minutes and replace the beauty of Pascha with "liturgical dancing."  Shocked  Cry

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »

I feel bad saying it, but I wouldn't want to share my parish with a bunch of lapsed Roman Catholics who don't even know what's going on/the difference between us and would just sit around with their hands in their pockets and try to shorten the Liturgy to 45 minutes and replace the beauty of Pascha with "liturgical dancing."  Shocked  Cry

You know, many Roman Catholics are devout, humble people of God. Not ignorant liturgy-ruiners.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:11:12 AM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

Let's say that the Pope met with an Orthodox Patriarch and officially recanted the RC doctrines of the Papacy, Immaculate Conception, the Filioque and all other doctrines which the Orthodox consider to be heresy, and wanted the Roman Catholic Church to officially rejoin the Orthodox Church.

What would happen?

The Pope would cease to be the Pope, the RCC will elect a new one and the RCC will stay outside of Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:12:08 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »

When Rome comes back into the fold, most likely the RCC churches will simply become "Latin Orthodox." Thus, the Roman Pope's jurisdiction would extend to all churches under the Latin liturgy. It would be no different than what we have now in America with multiple jurisdictions.

And of course you'd have some RCC churches reject the Pope and elect a new one, but I suspect when this happens many within the RCC will willingly come along. Only the most ardent traditionalists will remain hold outs.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »

What would happen?

Especially, how would this affect the whole North American jurisdiction situation? Technically, since America is in the west, and since the Pope would probably reclaim his first-among-equals title from Constantinople, wouldn't North America become the Pope's territory? I imagine that the more convertsky jurisdictions like the OCA and Antiochians would jump at the opportunity of falling under the Pope's jurisdiction, since it would give us more of that unity we've been craving for so long. On the other hand, I imagine that the more immigrant Churches--such as the Greeks, wouldn't like it one bit, and would possibly become schismatic. I also imagine that the current Ecumenical Patriarch wouldn't like it because he'd lose his Ecumenical status, and possibly lose his control over North America.

The same way any group that has been estranged from Orthodoxy comes back in the fold. A commission will be established to determine the best way to bring them back into communion. Just because the Pope recants does not mean the whole RC would recant - part of that not recognizing the whole Papal Infallibility issue. So, if the Pope recanted your list, and asked to be received back into The Church, it is hard to say without knowing what kind of support he would receive from the rest of the Latin communion. There is no one on Earth that can tell you what might happen.

Joseph
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »

The EP would be able to have lunch with the Pope.  Wink
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »

What would happen?

The Pope would cease to be the Pope, the RCC will elect a new one and the RCC will stay outside of Orthodoxy.
Unless he infallibly declares it. Then the RCC can't claim the pope can always speak infalliably. Of course this won;'t happen though.

Thank you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:14:13 PM »

What would happen?

Especially, how would this affect the whole North American jurisdiction situation? Technically, since America is in the west, and since the Pope would probably reclaim his first-among-equals title from Constantinople, wouldn't North America become the Pope's territory?

Some time ago (maybe a year ago) I posed a related question to a bunch of highly knowledgeable Eastern Christians: namely, what would happen with WRO in the event of Catholic-Orthodox reunion?

I wasn't expecting there to be much consensus in the answers, but in fact there was. The consensus (FWIW) was that, if there was a reunion, Western Rite Orthodox would become part of the Latin Catholic Church.

(I'm thinking that's similar to what theo philosopher said,
When Rome comes back into the fold, most likely the RCC churches will simply become "Latin Orthodox." Thus, the Roman Pope's jurisdiction would extend to all churches under the Latin liturgy. It would be no different than what we have now in America with multiple jurisdictions.
although I could be mistaken.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »

What would happen?

Especially, how would this affect the whole North American jurisdiction situation? Technically, since America is in the west, and since the Pope would probably reclaim his first-among-equals title from Constantinople, wouldn't North America become the Pope's territory?

Some time ago (maybe a year ago) I posed a related question to a bunch of highly knowledgeable Eastern Christians: namely, what would happen with WRO in the event of Catholic-Orthodox reunion?

I wasn't expecting there to be much consensus in the answers, but in fact there was. The consensus (FWIW) was that, if there was a reunion, Western Rite Orthodox would become part of the Latin Catholic Church.

Does that mean Eastern Rite Catholics would become Antiochian Orthodox (as per the Maronites) or such?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

In the end, jurisdiction would probably be the smallest issue

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:41 AM »

What would happen?

Does that mean Eastern Rite Catholics would become Antiochian Orthodox (as per the Maronites) or such?

I don't know about the Maronites, since they have no corresponding Orthodox group, but I believe (based on my memory which I think is accurate) that it was generally agreed, in the afore-mentioned conversation, that e.g. that the Melkites would merge into the Antiochian Orthodox Church, Romanian Catholics into the Romanian Orthodox Church, etc.

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »

What would happen?

I don't know about the Maronites, since they have no corresponding Orthodox group, but I believe (based on my memory which I think is accurate) that it was generally agreed, in the afore-mentioned conversation, that e.g. that the Melkites would merge into the Antiochian Orthodox Church, Romanian Catholics into the Romanian Orthodox Church, etc.

I presume by Romanian Catholics, you mean the Greek Catholics? There's a not insignificant number of Latin Rite Catholics also in certain areas - I don't imagine they'd go a bundle on being forced into the Romanian Orthodox Church (though I agree that they actually should, just in some sort of Latin Rite vicariate). Oddly enough, the Greek Catholics on the Moldovan side might actually prove the more difficult - the Latin rite Catholics tend to still identify as Romanians while the Greek Catholics as often as not call themselves Ukrainian.

James
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:04:33 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »

What would happen?

I presume by Romanian Catholics, you mean the Greek Catholics? There's a not insignificant number of Latin Rite Catholics also in certain areas - I don't imagine they'd go a bundle on being forced into the Romanian Orthodox Church

You're right, I should have said Romanian Greek-Catholics.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »

IMO, they should be a part of the Church they are on canonical territory of.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »

Which Church are they on canonical territory of? (OCA? GOAA? Antiochian? ROCOR?)

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »

Which Church are they on canonical territory of? (OCA? GOAA? Antiochian? ROCOR?)

I consider OCA as the Church of America. I hope that until the reunification with the RCC there will be jurisdictional unity among the EOs and there will be only OCA (or its successor) in America.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »

And of course you'd have some RCC churches reject the Pope and elect a new one, but I suspect when this happens many within the RCC will willingly come along. Only the most ardent traditionalists will remain hold outs.
Like me. Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

Like me. Smiley

Oh Papist, you're so stubborn  angel

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

What would happen?

The OCA wouldn't come under Rome's jurisdiction any more than the Czech Lands and Slovakia, Poland, Albania, the Church of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, or New Rome-all of which had been under Old Rome-would.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »

What would happen?

The OCA wouldn't come under Rome's jurisdiction any more than the Czech Lands and Slovakia, Poland, Albania, the Church of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, or New Rome-all of which had been under Old Rome-would.

I agree. (And thank you btw for reminding me of the original question. Smiley)

With the (possible) exception of the Western Rite Orthodox, I see no reason to think that any Orthodox would be merged into the Latin Church.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: