OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:30:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan Hilarion on Pope Francis and Eastern Catholics  (Read 2226 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »

Well I've narrowed my college search down to a Jesuit university (St. Louis) and a public one. Y'all are saying they'd be about equivalent spiritually?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »

Well I've narrowed my college search down to a Jesuit university (St. Louis) and a public one. Y'all are saying they'd be about equivalent spiritually?
St. Louis is one of the good ones.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:13 PM »

http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/TheNewmanGuide.aspx

I have heard some good things about St. Louis University also, but I would strongly recommend doing some serious searching on the matter.  You may find that you are better served attending a public university for half the price which has a strong Catholic Center like you would find at a school such as Texas A&M.  Archbishop Fulton Sheen didn't recommend to his friends that they send their children to public schools where they could learn to fight for their faith rather than to a Catholic school which might steal it from them for nothing. 

Peace,
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »

I wonder how Orthodox Balamand University is.... Wink

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Surnaturel

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »

I read that NCRegister article too, and found it completely unconvincing. The Pedilavium rite within the context of the Great and Holy Thursday liturgy is not commemorating "service in general," but the institution of priestly service by Christ in commissioning His apostles to serve the people of God. Quite frankly the Roman Church does not need more liturgical innovation, and it most certainly does not need to be even more ritually Low Church than it is already.

That is precisely why I revised my view *somewhat*, and adopted a wait and see attitude.  I guess I'm slightly more gullible and open to "suggestion" than you, as I didn't find it completely unconvincing.  There was enough there to give me pause for thought about my own judgmentalism and preconceived ideas--but the depth of my catechesis and education is not nearly as great as that of others here.  And no, I'm *not* being sarcastic.
If knowing the meaning of the Pedilavium rite according to Tradition is a form of "judgmentalism" then I am guilty as charged. That said, the constant desire for liturgical innovation in the Roman Church is a problem even if large numbers of Roman Catholics refuse to see it as one.

Reaching out to troubled teens by showing that the head of ~ 1+ billion Catholics, a servant of Christ, loves them enough to humble himself with this gesture is profound in itself and surely had an impact on those kids and others. I have no problem with this and I applaud the Pope not for 'innovation' but loving service. I do, however, agree with the other poster that the Pope could have performed the traditional ritual and then visited the jail, but hindsight is 20/20. And I don't think it is fair to make a subjective and personal diagnosis about whether the Pope is "bored" in mass. From having a sibling with one lung, as Pope Francis has, I can tell you that seemingly normal daily activities are exhausting for people with that condition.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:33:58 AM by Surnaturel » Logged
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »

I read that NCRegister article too, and found it completely unconvincing. The Pedilavium rite within the context of the Great and Holy Thursday liturgy is not commemorating "service in general," but the institution of priestly service by Christ in commissioning His apostles to serve the people of God. Quite frankly the Roman Church does not need more liturgical innovation, and it most certainly does not need to be even more ritually Low Church than it is already.

That is precisely why I revised my view *somewhat*, and adopted a wait and see attitude.  I guess I'm slightly more gullible and open to "suggestion" than you, as I didn't find it completely unconvincing.  There was enough there to give me pause for thought about my own judgmentalism and preconceived ideas--but the depth of my catechesis and education is not nearly as great as that of others here.  And no, I'm *not* being sarcastic.
If knowing the meaning of the Pedilavium rite according to Tradition is a form of "judgmentalism" then I am guilty as charged. That said, the constant desire for liturgical innovation in the Roman Church is a problem even if large numbers of Roman Catholics refuse to see it as one.

Reaching out to troubled teens by showing that the head of ~ 1+ billion Catholics, a servant of Christ, loves them enough to humble himself with this gesture is profound in itself and surely had an impact on those kids and others. I have no problem with this and I applaud the Pope not for 'innovation' but loving service. I do, however, agree with the other poster that the Pope could have performed the traditional ritual and then visited the jail, but hindsight is 20/20. And I don't think it is fair to make a subjective and personal diagnosis about whether the Pope is "bored" in mass. From having a sibling with one lung, as Pope Francis has, I can tell you that seemingly normal daily activities are exhausting for people with that condition.
The pope could have washed the kids feet outside of the Pedilavium Rite. In fact, he can go there and wash those young peoples feet daily and I would not mind a bit. But the pope should not alter the Church's liturgy to fit his own personal interests.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: