OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 08:21:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Domain Orthodox Prayers  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian Edward Wessex

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »

This is my first post on the forum. I have been following though for some time now and am very grateful for the wealth of knowledge. I have searched the forum for a while and cannot find what I am looking for so i decided to post a new thread.

I am looking for Orthodox prayers whose translations are in the public domain. I know there are lots of prayerbooks out there, but I am trying to piece together a home prayerbook, that someday may be published in limited amounts. I do not want to violate copyright if I decide to do this. So if anyone out there has good web resources I would appreciate it very much.

The Father is my hope; the Son is my refuge; the Holy Spirit is my protector. O All-holy Trinity, glory to thee. - Saint Ioannikios the Great
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »

I am not aware that prayers have a copyright on them.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »

Wasn't there a lawsuit not too long ago involving HTM? (article)  Don't know how many, if any, prayer texts were involved...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »

Wasn't there a lawsuit not too long ago involving HTM? (article)  Don't know how many, if any, prayer texts were involved...

That's it!  I'm copyrighting the Our Father and the Creed!  Grin Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »

AFAIK, you cannot copyright the prayers themselves, but you can copyright a particular translation of the prayers.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »

AFAIK, you cannot copyright the prayers themselves, but you can copyright a particular translation of the prayers.

That is what I thought.  But will anyone copyright individual prayers?  I can understand manuscripts of text.
Red A.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/VelimirovichBlessEnemies.php

Here is a good one.
Justinian Edward Wessex

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »

Oh I understand that the actual prayers are not copyrighted, but the translations are, such as the Jordanville Prayerbook. However there are some texts such as the Hapgood service book which are no longer under copyright.

I am also trying to amass a large collection of various prayers. Prayers for not only meal time but also for such things as deliverance from thunderstorms, tornadoes, prayers for women with child, against evil thoughts, etc. There are a lot of the prayers I am looking for in the "Orthodox Prayers of Old England" prayerbook, however again the exact wording is copyrighted.

The Father is my hope; the Son is my refuge; the Holy Spirit is my protector. O All-holy Trinity, glory to thee. - Saint Ioannikios the Great
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »

Oh I understand that the actual prayers are not copyrighted, but the translations are, such as the Jordanville Prayerbook. However there are some texts such as the Hapgood service book which are no longer under copyright.

I am also trying to amass a large collection of various prayers. Prayers for not only meal time but also for such things as deliverance from thunderstorms, tornadoes, prayers for women with child, against evil thoughts, etc. There are a lot of the prayers I am looking for in the "Orthodox Prayers of Old England" prayerbook, however again the exact wording is copyrighted.

Amazon has a public domain free book download for Kindle of Orthodox Daily Prayers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:24:20 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: