OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:15:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulties in faith journey  (Read 578 times) Average Rating: 0
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: March 27, 2013, 02:16:36 AM »

Many times when I was about to visit a Greek parish for divine liturgy, what I felt more worried about is the culture, ethnic norms and the acceptance from parishioners.  I always worry that if I have a chance to really get into the community rather than just being an outsider who attends liturgy occasionally. Sometimes I felt quite discouraged and unhappy, wanted to quite or try something else. Nevertheless, I realized later that I still have great interest in Orthodoxy and should keep exploring and maybe will be happy at the end. I know I can attend parishes from other jurisdictions such as OCA and Antiochian if I want, but will feel pretty bad if they are the only possible "best choices" from other people's suggestions. I always have conflicting ideas in my mind. At one hand, I try to tell myself that I cannot chance the norm and should consider something different. Ar the other hand, I feel it is more worthy for me to try something I like, because it is what I will appreciate.

I would like to ask some prayer for guidance and peace in my journey.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »

Do not feel bad that you are going somewhere because that is where you feel comfortable.  As Christians the ideal of course is that we fit right in with any other Christian.  But the reality of a fallen world, we know that is not the case.  Take your time and don't feel that you have to be somewhere because of any reason other than you really feel you belong there.

You are in my prayers.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »

Lord have mercy on Hurdle.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
marigold
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Hurdle.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »

Lord have mercy.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »

Don't worry about acceptance,culture or ethnic backgrounds. This is you and God.We are all Orthodox,Greek, OCA ,Antiochian,ect... Pray and fast about this. Then go and see that the Lord is good!
Hurdle

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »

I want to thank you everyone's prayer.

I went to service past Wednesday and had a great conversation with the priest. I will keep praying for Lord's guidance on my life and my faith journey.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:32 AM »

I want to thank you everyone's prayer.

I went to service past Wednesday and had a great conversation with the priest. I will keep praying for Lord's guidance on my life and my faith journey.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord have mercy!
We all have obstacles, which is normal. I know of a Greek couple who attend ROCOR, some parishioners not going to a church because of the priest or for some other reasons. We go to a Church for salvation. Anything else is a bonus but totally unecessary. We are all the same in God's eyes. We don't go to a Greek, American, Russian or any other church. We are attending an Orthodox parish which happens to be composed of certain demographics. Don't let such things turn you away from the Church. I repeat you are not there to be Greek but to be Orthodox. May Lord help you overcome this obstacle and many more which all of us face in life. To God everything is possible.
Hurdle

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:57 AM »

Thank you Anastasia and Putnik Namernik.

Lord have mercy!
We all have obstacles, which is normal. I know of a Greek couple who attend ROCOR, some parishioners not going to a church because of the priest or for some other reasons. We go to a Church for salvation. Anything else is a bonus but totally unecessary. We are all the same in God's eyes. We don't go to a Greek, American, Russian or any other church. We are attending an Orthodox parish which happens to be composed of certain demographics. Don't let such things turn you away from the Church. I repeat you are not there to be Greek but to be Orthodox. May Lord help you overcome this obstacle and many more which all of us face in life. To God everything is possible.

Thank you very much for your encouragement.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:02 AM »

Dear Hurdle,

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Saint Nektarios Pray For Us

You will be fine,  just keep asking God for help, we can't really do anything by ourselves.  I am a member of a Greek Orthodox church and obviously not of Greek heritage.  Doesn't matter a bit! I think it good to interpret questions about your heritage as curiousity rather than hostility.   

This is an awesome time to begin attending, do try to get to some of the Holy Week services. 

Love, elephant
Hurdle

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

Dear Hurdle,

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Saint Nektarios Pray For Us

You will be fine,  just keep asking God for help, we can't really do anything by ourselves.  I am a member of a Greek Orthodox church and obviously not of Greek heritage.  Doesn't matter a bit! I think it good to interpret questions about your heritage as curiousity rather than hostility.   

This is an awesome time to begin attending, do try to get to some of the Holy Week services. 

Love, elephant
Dear Elephant, thank you very much for your prayer and encouragement. I attended most of my Holy Week services in a Russian Monastery nearby my school.

Update:
I am still being very confused with my spiritual journey. I wish one day that I will be baptized in a parish under Greek Archdiocese and have a church life in Greek parish. I even wish one day I can go to Holy Cross, but I know it's difficult for me since I am an Asian and do not have Greek heritage. I only feel comfortable of being attending services but not Coffee hours, other parish events and activities. I am also afraid when Greeks stare at me and ignore me. But no matter whether I worry or not, I  should accept the reality of life and it's entirely up to God's will where I will end up with as my spiritual home.

Besides my spiritual life, I also have other things being going on in my life. I have gave up my dream of going to Med schools and plan to go to grad school. There will still be a couple years in school for me till ending up with a job. As a 21 year old College student, I still need wisdom from the Lord to become a more mature and reliable person with patience, love and humility.

I want to thank everyone's prayer. Please keep praying for me.

Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

Lord have mercy on you. Wow,You just go the coffee hour and introduce yourself until everyone know who you are and you want to worship God there and be Orthodox!
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »

Lord have mercy!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
marigold
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Hurdle.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 12:29:51 AM »

Continued prayers. Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: