OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 03:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac Orthodox Virgin Mary Annunciation Tradition - The "Siboro"  (Read 1567 times) Average Rating: 0
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »

The Syriac Orthodox Church celebrate the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary today (March 25th). We have a tradition that I believe is only done in our Church where we put on a so called "siboro" around our wrist. This "siboro" consists of a white thread and a red thread winded (I hope this is a real word) around each other.

When Virgin Mary became pregnant the Divine nature (God the Word; the white thread) united with the human nature (the red thread) which God the Word took from Virgin Mary through the holy Spirit's action. One Nature was formed, etc. You know the drill.

We wear the "siboro" from March 25th (the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary) until Easter Monday (or Easter Day) when we clip it off and burn it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:49:54 PM by Suryoyutho » Logged

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

Sounds like a great tradition, Suryoyutho. 

Thanks for posting about it, and may you have a wonderful Annunciation Feast!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »

Romanians and Bulgarians have a similar folk custom. It's not connected to the Feast of Annunciation, though:

Mărțișor, marț and mărțiguș are all names for the red and white string from which a small decoration is tied, and which is offered by people on the 1st day of March. Giving this talisman to people is an old custom, and it is believed that the one who wears the red and white string will be strong and healthy for the year to come. It is also a symbol of the coming spring. Usually, both women and men wear it pinned to their clothes, close to the heart, until the last day of March, when they tie it to the branches of a fruit-tree.

Source

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:31:54 PM by Romaios » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

That's a beautiful tradition.

Happy Annunciation!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »

Romaios apple / oranges.

Two distinct things.

biro yes beautiful tradition.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »

The Armenians have something similar called "narod," which is used during baptisms and weddings.

I wonder if there is some common origin to all of these.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:59:51 AM »

Romaios apple / oranges.

Two distinct things.

Well, if apples and oranges were both red and white and picked in March, would it be that much of a strech to compare them?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:07:27 AM by Romaios » Logged
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:11 AM »

The Armenians have something similar called "narod," which is used during baptisms and weddings.

I wonder if there is some common origin to all of these.

I think it might have originally been some sort of good-luck charm/talisman to ward off the "evil eye":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_%28Kabbalah%29
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:29 AM »

Thank you all, interesting that something similar is used for other things. I don't know when this tradition started in our Church but it's at least older than my parents.

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Tags: Syriac Orthodox siboro narod 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: