OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One lung or two  (Read 1152 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: March 20, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

From the Economist, a sobering analysis of the papal installation: "So if personal chemistry were the only thing required to get the Orthodox and Catholics breathing in sync, the way ahead might be clear. Unfortunately things are not so simple..."   http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/03/orthodox-christians-and-catholics

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »

Before Roman Catholics start using our lung, maybe they should try focusing on the cancerous outgrown known as protestantism in their own lung.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:03:00 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

i just find it interesting that the "Economist" is taking this topic on. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »

I never like that offal metaphore.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »

I see what you did there.  Cheesy

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »

Before Roman Catholics start using our lung, maybe they should try focusing on the cancerous outgrown known as protestantism in their own lung.  Grin

It's Lent.  I'll not retort.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »

Salute!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »

Many a native speaker couldn't do it. Well done sir!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

We have some dictionaries, you know...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

yes, but many native speakers couldn't use them to come up with that...bravo!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »

From the Economist, a sobering analysis of the papal installation: "So if personal chemistry were the only thing required to get the Orthodox and Catholics breathing in sync, the way ahead might be clear. Unfortunately things are not so simple..."   http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/03/orthodox-christians-and-catholics

The article says regarding the two-lung metaphor:

"It will certainly be an arresting, and perhaps disturbing, idea for Pope Francis, who quite literally has only one functioning lung; he lost one during a childhood illness."

Roll Eyes

What a dumb thing for the writer to say.  If anything, I would think it would be perhaps more meaningful from an RC position:  "we have gotten by on one lung but..."  

Of course, from our point of view, the two-lung thing does not work.  Still, the writer's presuppositions and projections are ridiculous on this point.  
Father H
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »

Dictionary or not, it was a superb play on words.  Now it is the first week in Great Lent, so because we are all complimenting you so much, you must now do 100 prostrations to keep yourself humble    police

choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »

The article says regarding the two-lung metaphor:

"It will certainly be an arresting, and perhaps disturbing, idea for Pope Francis, who quite literally has only one functioning lung; he lost one during a childhood illness."

Roll Eyes

What a dumb thing for the writer to say.  If anything, I would think it would be perhaps more meaningful from an RC position:  "we have gotten by on one lung but..."  

Of course, from our point of view, the two-lung thing does not work.  Still, the writer's presuppositions and projections are ridiculous on this point.  

Father, you'd be quite surprised by what passes as journalism these days.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

The lung thing aside, the last paragraph is the part that was frank and honest. Good feelings and charitable thoughts are one thing, unity remains elusive.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »

The lung thing aside, the last paragraph is the part that was frank and honest. Good feelings and charitable thoughts are one thing, unity remains elusive.

The last paragraph was frank.  However, Rome's approach has changed.  Then, it was "conform to Latin dogma."  Now (at least Post Vatican II until now) has been "don't worry about the dogma thing--submit to Rome, and we can bend on some stuff."  It was bizarre to me that P.Benedict would do away with "Patriarch of the West" then sit Pat. Bartholomew equal to him in St. Peter's to read the original creed in Greek.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:35:34 PM by Father H » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 12:31:37 AM »

The last paragraph was frank.  However, Rome's approach has changed.  Then, it was "conform to Latin dogma."  Now (at least Post Vatican II until now) has been "don't worry about the dogma thing--submit to Rome, and we can bend on some stuff."  It was bizarre to me that P.Benedict would do away with "Patriarch of the West" then sit Pat. Bartholomew equal to him in St. Peter's to read the original creed in Greek.  

Not sure if its polemics or what from what I read, but "Patriarch of the West" really doesn't mean anything today.  Christianity has expanded beyond "East and West Roman Empire".  What does "West" really mean?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »

Not sure if its polemics or what from what I read, but "Patriarch of the West" really doesn't mean anything today.  Christianity has expanded beyond "East and West Roman Empire".  What does "West" really mean?

West is a noun, adjective, or adverb indicating direction or geography.

West is one of the four cardinal directions or compass points. It is the opposite of east and is perpendicular to north and south.

To go west using a compass for navigation, one needs to set a bearing or azimuth of 270°.

West is the direction opposite that of the Earth's rotation on its axis, and is therefore the general direction towards which the Sun sets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West

Gotta love wikipedia, eh  Grin Grin?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »

I am experiencing theosis, so I will also keep silence.   Roll Eyes
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »

Good thinkin'! Kiss

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

Good thinkin'! Kiss

Awww, come on, I was jist joshin' ya!

Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

I have the suspicion that Constantinople has not only bought into the two lung theory, she also believes that the lungs must be headed by only two people, the bishops of Rome and Constantinople. This is from Patriarch Bartholemew's response to Pope Francis at the Wednesday do.

"As the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the worldwide Orthodox Church of Christ..."

http://www.monasterodibose.it/content/view/4927/135/1/8/lang,en/

Not a surprise certainly, but very discouraging.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:06:31 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

And Orthodoxy can work on their own, like the Nestorians and Non-Chalcedonians (though at least the latter are benign)...?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »

I have the suspicion that Constantinople has not only bought into the two lung theory, she also believes that the lungs must be headed by only two people, the bishops of Rome and Constantinople. This is from Patriarch Bartholemew's response to Pope Francis at the Wednesday do.

I posted this yesterday in another thread, but it is pertinent here as well.

Here is the official transcript of the Patriarch's formal address yesterday from the Patriarchal website. http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/2013popefrancisaddress

So yes, he did say the quoted phrase. BUT  I would urge those upset by this to read the whole speech. In the context of the speech, the phrase in question seems to me NOT to be a royal like "we" but rather an awkward phrasing where he is expressing his personal best wishes and the best wishes on behalf of the Orthodox community at large.

He was the only speaker at the public event, speaking for all of the non-Catholics there. Would it have been preferable for him NOT to include his regards on behalf of all of Orthodoxy? "I can't speak for any other autochephalous or autonomous Orthodox Church whose representatives are here in this room with us but ...."

Like it or not, he is the 'primus', he was asked to speak as such and he conveyed the good wishes of the Orthodox to the new Pope. There were after all delegations from at least ten of the Orthodox national Churches in attendance. They certainly weren't attending to cast anathemas upon Pope Francis.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:29:54 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Father H
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »

^As one could anticipate, I agree with podkarpatska in what he said above.  

I propose a reversal monday for 2nd Monday of Great Lent, where Carl and Isa will defend Patriarch Bartholomew, and Pod.and I criticize him.  That way pod and I can be closer to keeping our minds in hell as the Fathers say, and Isa and Carl can be one step closer to heaven.  

angel

laugh

police

Just sayin' is all...

Who will respond first?  Those bystanders who would make gimmicky money for their parishes instead of being stewards, may want to take bets.  After all, if the Church is not about fundraisers, what is it about?  

Tongue

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:34:50 AM by Father H » Logged
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

Did you know?

The two lung theory was not created by John Paul II, it was actually from liberal russian priests.

By the way, PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW JUST BROKE CANONS ONCE AGAIN!

He prayed with heretics and BLESSED THE FOOD THEY ATE AT DINNER WITH THE PSEUDO-POPE OF OLD ROME

perhaps it was a trick, for the blessing of heretics are curses, and if you are catholic perhaps you can say bartholomew is a heretic, therefore his blessing was a curse, and the food is now poisened while they eat it and the pope will fall ill or something...

or he is a heretic for breaking those canons... so a curse is put upon .. wait no

i need sleep...

EDITl

oh wait, that is stated right in the article of this thread... oh well

SEE LIBERALS HAVE BEEN STRONGER IN THE PAST they are not as strong today
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:52:26 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

Huh

That post would be even better if you had just gone to sleep.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »

And Orthodoxy can work on their own, like the Nestorians and Non-Chalcedonians (though at least the latter are benign)...?
If Nestorians were Orthodoxy's cancer, that would mean that the Vatican is no more than a cancerous outgrowth as well.

At worst, the Non-Chalcedonians are a collapsed lung.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »

If Nestorians were Orthodoxy's cancer, that would mean that the Vatican is no more than a cancerous outgrowth as well.

At worst, the Non-Chalcedonians are a collapsed lung.

This is one deranged person.  Three lungs, one good, one cancerous and one collapsed.  We should get them to ICU and then off to Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »

I posted this yesterday in another thread, but it is pertinent here as well.

Here is the official transcript of the Patriarch's formal address yesterday from the Patriarchal website. http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/2013popefrancisaddress

So yes, he did say the quoted phrase. BUT  I would urge those upset by this to read the whole speech. In the context of the speech, the phrase in question seems to me NOT to be a royal like "we" but rather an awkward phrasing where he is expressing his personal best wishes and the best wishes on behalf of the Orthodox community at large.

He was the only speaker at the public event, speaking for all of the non-Catholics there. Would it have been preferable for him NOT to include his regards on behalf of all of Orthodoxy? "I can't speak for any other autochephalous or autonomous Orthodox Church whose representatives are here in this room with us but ...."

Like it or not, he is the 'primus', he was asked to speak as such and he conveyed the good wishes of the Orthodox to the new Pope. There were after all delegations from at least ten of the Orthodox national Churches in attendance. They certainly weren't attending to cast anathemas upon Pope Francis.

I suppose that HAH's erudition and mastery of language must have deserted him for once. He could have said ""As the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the worldwide Orthodox Churches of Christ...", or ""As the Ecumenical Patriarchate and on behalf of the worldwide Orthodox Church of Christ..." But, he merely used a phrase that is in line with his approach to Orthodox ecclesiology that has been rebuffed by Archbishop Paul of Finland, Patriarch Alexei of Moscow and many others. That said, there is no question that he should have answered the Pope's address on behalf of all Orthodox churches, to include the two that were placed in the "Other Representations" category. I do wonder, however, what theory makes him the spokesman for the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and non-Orthodox Christian leaders in the room. The imperial "we" was stretched very far and wide there, wasn't it? BTW, did you also sense the irony of HAH praising the HF's humility with language that did not even have an ounce of humility?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:52:10 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

The last paragraph was frank.  However, Rome's approach has changed.  Then, it was "conform to Latin dogma."  

I can't confidently say you're wrong; but if you're right then I really need to re-read the Union of Brest.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: