OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:29:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox mobile applications  (Read 567 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: March 24, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »

Is there any easy way to get readings and Saints of the day to one's smartphone?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

Depending on your phone depends on what is available, but do a search in your apps by typing "orthodox".  You will get some things which are not Orthodox, but you should find what you are looking for.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

Doesn't GOAA have one?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »

Depending on your phone depends on what is available, but do a search in your apps by typing "orthodox".  You will get some things which are not Orthodox, but you should find what you are looking for.

I sort of tried to suggest you people do the job for me. angel
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »

Doesn't GOAA have one?

Yes, it's called Orthodox Daily Readings, or something like that.  Not a bad little thing to have, especially for those of us who travel a good bit.

Here:  http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/internet/mobileapps

You can get it from iTunes, Amazon, and probably other places as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:54:05 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

So I found some application from the Nokia store. It seems nice but it only offers Old Calendar Easter date. A bit problematic since it is Palm Sunday today in my church.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »

So I found some application from the Nokia store. It seems nice but it only offers Old Calendar Easter date. A bit problematic since it is Palm Sunday today in my church.

We only follow the Julian calculation for Pascha in the Orthodox Church (unless you're weird...lookin' at you, Finland and Estonia!  police). If you want an app like you describe in the Gregorian form, I highly doubt you'll find it from an Orthodox source.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/index.html

Andriod and iPhone applications that give the daily reading in either Russian or English, as well as the Lives of the Saints, Troparia and Kontakia; according to the Church Calendar.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »

We only follow the Julian calculation for Pascha in the Orthodox Church (unless you're weird...lookin' at you, Finland and Estonia!  police). If you want an app like you describe in the Gregorian form, I highly doubt you'll find it from an Orthodox source.

I am a Finn. I wonder what my bishop thought if I told him that we must switch to the traditional calendar so that I can have cool mobile apps...

Btw, AFAIK Estonians of Constantinopolitan variety follow revised Julian calendar nowadays.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: