OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Issues Misson Statement for Papacy [Evangelii Gaudium]  (Read 1104 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 26, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »

The document, Evangelii Gaudium, (The Joy of the Gospel), is the second major teaching document issued by Francis but is the first actually written by him since the encyclical "The Light of Faith," issued in July, was penned almost entirely by Pope Benedict XVI before he resigned.
"I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security," he wrote. "I do not want a church concerned with being at the center and then ends up by being caught up in a web of obsessions and procedures."
He said [priests'] greatest concern must be the poor and marginalized, since they are victims of an unjust, global economic system that prizes profit over people. He said the poor need the tender, merciful love that the church can provide.

While again ruling out women's ordination, Francis called for greater role for women in making decisions in the church and said the faithful ought not to think that just because priests preside over Mass that they are more important than the people who make up the church itself.
Francis cited Vatican II documents calling for a more decentralized church authority and said he too must rethink the papacy to achieve the goals of spreading the faith. He noted that Pope John Paul II had asked for proposals to rethink the way the primacy of the pope is exercised, a delicate and potentially revolutionary issue that hasn't yet been resolved.
"Excessive centralization, rather than proving helpful, complicates the church's life and her missionary outreach," he said.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:33:07 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »

Interesting.

Here's a link to the full text, to those who are interested:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium_en.html

Relevant passage on Orthodox relations:

246. Given the seriousness of the counter-witness of division among Christians, particularly in Asia and Africa, the search for paths to unity becomes all the more urgent. Missionaries on those continents often mention the criticisms, complaints and ridicule to which the scandal of divided Christians gives rise. If we concentrate on the convictions we share, and if we keep in mind the principle of the hierarchy of truths, we will be able to progress decidedly towards common expressions of proclamation, service and witness. The immense numbers of people who have not received the Gospel of Jesus Christ cannot leave us indifferent. Consequently, commitment to a unity which helps them to accept Jesus Christ can no longer be a matter of mere diplomacy or forced compliance, but rather an indispensable path to evangelization. Signs of division between Christians in countries ravaged by violence add further causes of conflict on the part of those who should instead be a leaven of peace. How many important things unite us! If we really believe in the abundantly free working of the Holy Spirit, we can learn so much from one another! It is not just about being better informed about others, but rather about reaping what the Spirit has sown in them, which is also meant to be a gift for us. To give but one example, in the dialogue with our Orthodox brothers and sisters, we Catholics have the opportunity to learn more about the meaning of episcopal collegiality and their experience of synodality. Through an exchange of gifts, the Spirit can lead us ever more fully into truth and goodness.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:37:57 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »

He must be doing something right if his own people are burning him in effigy

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

This statement is interesting. Which edition of the Quran is he reading?

253.  ... Faced with disconcerting episodes of violent fundamentalism, our respect for true followers of Islam should lead us to avoid hateful generalisations, for authentic Islam and the proper reading of the Koran are opposed to every form of violence.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »

He must be doing something right if his own people are burning him in effigy

The faithless will be present until the end.
All we can do is pray for them.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »

Here's an interesting very short summation/interpretation of Pope Francis' exhortation:
http://www.newsmax.com/BillDonohue/Pope-Francis-Church-Catholic/2013/11/27/id/538999

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »

I'm glad all those that ought be offended are. Axios.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

253.  ... Faced with disconcerting episodes of violent fundamentalism, our respect for true followers of Islam should lead us to avoid hateful generalisations, for authentic Islam and the proper reading of the Koran are opposed to every form of violence.

The same one that moderate Muslims fitting his description read.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

This is going to be a fun thread.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »

offended people are fun
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

Aren't all threads in this sub-forum fun?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »

Aren't all threads in this sub-forum fun?

Occasionally some threads seem like normal people are discussing normally about normal things.

And then there are 99% of other threads.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:27:02 PM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

offended people are fun
you usually are.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »

offended people are fun
you usually are.

I try not to put too much into what any Pope declares. I figure his proclamations are mostly for his own flock.  The RCC is being torn in many ways today and the Pope is trying to mend this breach.  Im on the sidelines watching, not that if matters so much to me.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »

Not the one that says Allah casts terror into the hearts of the disbelievers. Of course, Pope Francis in Evangelii Gaudium says Muslims worship the same god as Jews and Christians; quoting Vatican II.

"But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohammedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind."

Yeah, the Abraham that "said to their people, 'Indeed, we are disassociated from you and from whatever you worship other than Allah. We have denied you, and there has appeared between us and you animosity and hatred forever until you believe in Allah alone.'" (Qur'an 60:4)

The Pope must be uninformed about al-Wala wal Baraa.

Yeah, 'disbelievers are they that say God is one of three' (5:73) and 'Do not take Jews and Christians as your friends and protectors' (5:51) sounds like 'love your enemies' 'love thy neighbor' to me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:50:02 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

Ever read the Scriptures?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »

Evangelii Gaudium was just the beginning:

ROME  Pope Francis told a group of Dutch bishops this week that the Vatican must continue reforms undertaken by the Catholic church in the 1960s and ‘70s, according to one of the participants in the meeting.

Bishop Jan Hendricks, who attended the meeting Monday, later recounted that the pope said implementation of the 1962-65 Second Vatican Council is only half complete.

“We have been implementing the council only half-way,” Hendriks recalled from the pope’s words. “Half of the work has still to be done.”
In mentioning the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, Hendriks said the pope cited specifically Lumen Gentium, the council’s dogmatic constitution on the church.

“His first thought was of the church,” Hendriks said. “That means he thinks the reform of the church is only half-way done, that is clear.”

Lumen Gentium is the text that speaks about collegiality of the bishops in the Church, as well as the priesthood of the laity.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:28:52 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

Yay! More Gregorian chant and Latin!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

Wink

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

A step in the right direction. Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »

Relations with Judaism

247. We hold the Jewish people in special regard because their covenant with God has never been revoked, for “the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable” (Rom 11:29). The Church, which shares with Jews an important part of the sacred Scriptures, looks upon the people of the covenant and their faith as one of the sacred roots of her own Christian identity (cf. Rom 11:16-18). As Christians, we cannot consider Judaism as a foreign religion; nor do we include the Jews among those called to turn from idols and to serve the true God (cf. 1 Thes 1:9). With them, we believe in the one God who acts in history, and with them we accept his revealed word.

248. Dialogue and friendship with the children of Israel are part of the life of Jesus’ disciples. The friendship which has grown between us makes us bitterly and sincerely regret the terrible persecutions which they have endured, and continue to endure, especially those that have involved Christians.

249. God continues to work among the people of the Old Covenant and to bring forth treasures of wisdom which flow from their encounter with his word. For this reason, the Church also is enriched when she receives the values of Judaism. While it is true that certain Christian beliefs are unacceptable to Judaism, and that the Church cannot refrain from proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Messiah, there exists as well a rich complementarity which allows us to read the texts of the Hebrew Scriptures together and to help one another to mine the riches of God’s word. We can also share many ethical convictions and a common concern for justice and the development of peoples.

Is Pope Francis suggesting a form of dual covenant theology here? I've never heard anyone other than dispensationalists suggest that the Jews are still in an active covenant with God ("their covenant with God has never been revoked") outside of Israel, the Church.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:08:06 PM by Nephi » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

Relations with Judaism

247. We hold the Jewish people in special regard because their covenant with God has never been revoked, for “the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable” (Rom 11:29). The Church, which shares with Jews an important part of the sacred Scriptures, looks upon the people of the covenant and their faith as one of the sacred roots of her own Christian identity (cf. Rom 11:16-18). As Christians, we cannot consider Judaism as a foreign religion; nor do we include the Jews among those called to turn from idols and to serve the true God (cf. 1 Thes 1:9). With them, we believe in the one God who acts in history, and with them we accept his revealed word.

248. Dialogue and friendship with the children of Israel are part of the life of Jesus’ disciples. The friendship which has grown between us makes us bitterly and sincerely regret the terrible persecutions which they have endured, and continue to endure, especially those that have involved Christians.

249. God continues to work among the people of the Old Covenant and to bring forth treasures of wisdom which flow from their encounter with his word. For this reason, the Church also is enriched when she receives the values of Judaism. While it is true that certain Christian beliefs are unacceptable to Judaism, and that the Church cannot refrain from proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Messiah, there exists as well a rich complementarity which allows us to read the texts of the Hebrew Scriptures together and to help one another to mine the riches of God’s word. We can also share many ethical convictions and a common concern for justice and the development of peoples.

Is Pope Francis suggesting a form of dual covenant theology here? I've never heard anyone other than dispensationalists suggest that the Jews are still in an active covenant with God ("their covenant with God has never been revoked") outside of Israel, the Church.

I watch the Daystar network and when they aren't selling prosperity Gospel nonsense they have a few people who come from my people: Apocalyptic Guessers.

Guess what is one of the signs that this Pope is the False Prophet? Some fatima prophecy about a heretical Pope. What heresies will he teach and is teaching if you believe this Pope to be the foresawn one?

Stuff these Guessers themselves believe.

It's a Jack Chick Tract turned into a Moebius Strip.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »

I'm more interested in his "de-centralizing" comments and "learning from our Orthodox brothers".  Is he trying to say that both Orthodox and Catholics believe in the same ecclesiology, but that the Catholics are not practicing it properly?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:23:48 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »

I'm more interested in his "de-centralizing" comments and "learning from our Orthodox brothers".  Is he trying to say that both Orthodox and Catholics believe in the same ecclesiology, but that the Catholics are not practicing it properly?

This seems to be a popular strain of thought lately, largely grounded in Catholic history. It goes along with the idea that the 17th-19th centuries saw a massive papal-centralization of the Latin Church that didn't exist prior in response to the rise of modern nation states, and folks are now reconsidering whether it's still (or ever was) a good thing or not. I don't know if they'd say that we do have the same ecclesiology in general, but I'm sure some would that have a lower view of the Pope.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:31:13 PM by Nephi » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »

I'm more interested in his "de-centralizing" comments and "learning from our Orthodox brothers".  Is he trying to say that both Orthodox and Catholics believe in the same ecclesiology, but that the Catholics are not practicing it properly?

This seems to be a popular strain of thought lately, largely grounded in Catholic history. It goes along with the idea that the 17th-19th centuries saw a massive papal-centralization of the Latin Church that didn't exist prior in response to the rise of modern nation states, and folks are now reconsidering whether it's still (or ever was) a good thing or not. I don't know if they'd say that we do have the same ecclesiology in general, but I'm sure some would that have a lower view of the Pope.

I don't think we have the same ecclesiology, but I do think that some decentralization would be a good thing. We need not be papal absolutists to be faithful Catholics.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

Cardinal Raymond Burke...an American who still serves as the head of the Vatican's highest court, also said in an EWTN interview he does not think Francis' recent apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium ("The Joy of the Gospel") can be considered official teaching of the church.
In the interview Thursday, Burke also responds to a question from Arroyo about Francis' remarks in the exhortation criticizing some forms of capitalism.

Burke calls the exhortation a "distinct kind of document" and says "I haven't quite figured out in my mind exactly ... how to describe it."

"I would not think that, I don’t think it was intended to be part of papal magisterium," Burke states. "At least that’s my impression of it."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:35:59 PM »

Cardinal Raymond Burke...an American who still serves as the head of the Vatican's highest court, also said in an EWTN interview he does not think Francis' recent apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium ("The Joy of the Gospel") can be considered official teaching of the church.
In the interview Thursday, Burke also responds to a question from Arroyo about Francis' remarks in the exhortation criticizing some forms of capitalism.

Burke calls the exhortation a "distinct kind of document" and says "I haven't quite figured out in my mind exactly ... how to describe it."

"I would not think that, I don’t think it was intended to be part of papal magisterium," Burke states. "At least that’s my impression of it."
yet another example of how "ex cathedra" is Vaticanese for "tea leaves."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »

yet another example of how "ex cathedra" is Vaticanese for "tea leaves."

Cardinal Burke sounds an awful lot like the late American Supreme Court Justice, Potter Stewart:   " I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core pornography"]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and ..... this.... is not that. ( Concurring opinion in Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 U.S. 184 (1964))

Nearly one hundred and forty years after Vatican I and 'Pastor Aeternus' and fifty years after the Jacobellis case, neither the Roman Church nor the Supreme Court have cleared up much of anything in either matter.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:42:32 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »

Here's an interesting very short summation/interpretation of Pope Francis' exhortation:
http://www.newsmax.com/BillDonohue/Pope-Francis-Church-Catholic/2013/11/27/id/538999

I think Bill Donohue is correct in his conclusion that "Pope Francis is neither liberal nor conservative. He's simply Catholic, and a towering champion of its many causes."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/BillDonohue/Pope-Francis-Church-Catholic/2013/11/27/id/538999#ixzz2nfzbVkdd
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »

I'm more interested in his "de-centralizing" comments and "learning from our Orthodox brothers".  Is he trying to say that both Orthodox and Catholics believe in the same ecclesiology, but that the Catholics are not practicing it properly?
Mayhaps. Re-organizing the curia might be the first step in de-centralization, but forces in the curia of course will resist. To them, Pope Francis says, "Resistance is futile. You will be re-organized." On the other hand....

But in an interview a few days earlier, Burke — who remains head of the Vatican equivalent of the Supreme Court — also publicly raised doubts about Francis’ plans to make wholesale changes in a papal bureaucracy in keeping with the pontiff’s vision of a more open, pastoral church.

“The service of the Roman Curia is part of the very nature of the Church, and so that has to be respected,” Burke told EWTN, a U.S.-based Catholic cable network that spotlights conservative views.

“I can’t imagine that somehow the Roman Curia is going to take on a completely different figure. It just doesn’t make sense,” Burke said. The interview was broadcast Thursday as the centerpiece of a program that highlighted concerns about the direction of the church since Francis was elected in March.

Francis’ own top collaborators, namely a “kitchen cabinet” of eight cardinals he tapped to help him change the Vatican’s byzantine and often scandal-ridden ways, have said that the old curial system “is over,” as one put it, and will be replaced by “something different.”

But Burke told EWTN that it was “not altogether clear what the results of the reform will be” and lamented what he described as “a kind of unpredictability about life in Rome in these days.”

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: