OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy worship?  (Read 434 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: March 23, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »

I've come to Orthodox Church and joined liturgy workship for several time, but I still do not know what I am doing and what the priest is doing in the Liturgy workship....

Please help! Huh
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:45:20 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:53:34 AM »

If you haven't got a text of the Liturgy yet, get one. The first step is familiarising yourself with the words.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »

If you haven't got a text of the Liturgy yet, get one. The first step is familiarising yourself with the words.

Where can I get the text of liturgy?

And what do I need to do during the Liturgy worship? Keep Praying?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:14:33 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »

Here.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »

Here.

Or there may be a booklet available at the church itself, probably with the translation they use. Different editions have slight differences in language.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

And if you want to learn more about Liturgy and Worship, Fr. Thomas Hopko has an excellent podcast series on AFR

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/spiritandtruth

It is still ongoing so you don't have commentaries on the entire Liturgy yet.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »

I've come to Orthodox Church and joined liturgy workship for several time, but I still do not know what I am doing and what the priest is doing in the Liturgy workship....

Please help! Huh

It takes time, Walter. I came from a non-liturgical background straight into Orthodoxy. I went from pastors wearing jeans, to pastors wearing Geneva gowns, to Orthodox priests. It's jarring and confusing. You'll put it together eventually, though. Just keep watching and listening, follow along in a book if you need to, and ask specific questions.

You'll get there!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »

Please help! Huh

Welcome Smiley.

Step one, get a text, as someone has already linked. Your parish may also have some in the church hall or in the temple itself, and you can use those to follow along.

Step two, meet with a priest. They'll be able to tell you what you don't know and provide really definitive answers to it all.

Step three, attend the inquiry classes, if there are any. This is a GREAT way to learn about the liturgy and have questions answered, as well. You'll also learn about the liturgy in an in-depth manner. Our parish has classes where we go through the text of the liturgy, with explanations of everything, and our priest is there as well, so it's really really conducive to asking questions and learning about the "what" but also the "why".

As to what you do, just watch, and listen. Watch the parishioners and see what they do (and follow along if you can once you're comfortable), watch the priest and what he does, and the deacons, as well, and listen to the hymns that are sung, and what everyone says. Take notes (mental or otherwise) of what you want to find out, then after the service, go ahead and find answers.

I was the same way - I'd never been to a liturgical church before more than once, and after only a few weeks of attending, I was able to get the hang of things. You'll get there - don't rush it and don't worry if you make mistakes or get confused - there are plenty of people out there who won't mind you asking questions. Oh, and one more thing: just try to experience it. It'll sink in the more and more you attend Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:28:48 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: