Abp Welby's enthronement

<< < (2/6) > >>

Gunnarr:
Quote from: MichaƂ Kalina on March 27, 2013, 04:22:11 PM

And how are female bishops related to attending (or not attending) his enthronement?

Because I feel when they start ordaining female bishops his enthronement will no longer be attended by any orthodox representatives in the future (I am surprised they attended it at all, seeing as they already ordain priestesses). So this may be the last time they attend it depending on how fast these things are pushed. At least the Russian Orthodox church said so, Metropolitan Hilarion said if they ordain a female bishop there will be no possiblity of unity at all even theoritically so I would assume this would also mean they would no longer even attend the enthronements.

By the way, Archbishop Welby 1 of 2 of the instillation of the archbishop was by a female. I think that is a sign of things to come. (also have chosen the first female chaplain for the archbishopric). He has already spoken out in favor of female bishops, but he has said he is not in favor of gay marriage at the moment.

also there were a few female bishops presiding in the enthronement

mike:
Quote from: Gunnarr on March 27, 2013, 05:28:19 PM

Because I feel when they start ordaining female bishops his enthronement will no longer be attended by any orthodox representatives in the future

Why?

orthonorm:
The only decent argument I've ever heard against women presiding as Priests or Bishops is an allegorical one. All others are just the sexual turned now sexist view of women and what women ought to do.

More than a few more contemporary Orthodox thinkers have been at best apathetic on the issue to critical of the foregone conclusion on the exclusion of women within the ecclesiastical hierarchy.

But pragmatically it would likely cause schism, thus the strong must bear the foibles of the weak, unless allegory trumps all.

This is old news around here.

So I don't think such a move would cause all Orthodox not to attend to the more important celebrations of Christian bodies who have women who serve as Priests and Bishops.

orthonorm:
Quote from: Gunnarr on March 27, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Congratulations on the new Archbishop! Good job with allowing priestesses! (and female bishops in other anglican jurisdictions!) Anglicans are surely among the closest for union! PARTY! go go ecumenism!

I believe the women are called Priests. Can anyone confirm this?

I could do without the difference within the English language. Are women physicians, physicianesses?

Nonsense.

Agabus:
Quote from: orthonorm on March 27, 2013, 06:22:17 PM

Quote from: Gunnarr on March 27, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Congratulations on the new Archbishop! Good job with allowing priestesses! (and female bishops in other anglican jurisdictions!) Anglicans are surely among the closest for union! PARTY! go go ecumenism!

I believe the women are called Priests. Can anyone confirm this?

As far as I have seen/heard. I have a female friend on ordination track in the ECUSA who has always referred to female priests as "priests."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page