OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:51:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church's teachings on marriage, romance and sexuality?  (Read 2435 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »

From the Matins canon of the feast of the Annunciation:

Childbirth comes from mutual love: such is the law that God has given to men. So replied she who is above reproach. I do not know at all the pleasure of marriage. How then do you say that I shall bear a child? I fear that you are speaking in guile. But behold, you cry out: All works of the Lord, bless the Lord.

That indeed got my attention when I heard it this year.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »

...and I'm supposed to believe that an elderly man with a lifetime of prayer and ascesis behind him would instantly melt after touching a nun?

Uh yeah. It's different. Us average people are exposed to the opposite sex almost on a daily basis, so we're used to resisting it. But when you have some ascetic who's been living in isolation from the opposite sex for years, with years of hormonal tension building up, I wouldn't be surprised that he could finally snap at even the sight of a female nun.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

Childbirth comes from mutual love: such is the law that God has given to men. So replied she who is above reproach. I do not know at all the pleasure of marriage. How then do you say that I shall bear a child? I fear that you are speaking in guile. But behold, you cry out: All works of the Lord, bless the Lord.

Can we get the original Greek on that?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have two somewhat separate, but related questions. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the Orthodox Church's teachings on (1) the purpose of marriage and (2) the place that romance and sexual relations have in the lives of married couples, and engaged couples. I would appreciate any and all references to specific quotes  by the Church Fathers, etc.
This article by +Hilarion will be of use

http://easternchristianinsights.blogspot.com/2013/04/metropolitan-hilarion-alfeyev-on.html

Just correcting:

I would say that kissing and hugging, and just being cozy is not a problem. Touching erotic parts of the body or near them is not ok
Fabio,

Can you tell me some non-erotic parts of the human body?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »

Can we get the original Greek on that?

I think this is it:

Νόμος οὗτος θεόθεν βροτοῖς, ἡ ἄμεμπτος αὖθις φησί, Ξυνοῦ ἐξ ἔρωτος τόκον προέρχεσθαι. Οὐκ οἶδα συζύγου παντελῶς ἡδονήν. Πῶς οὖν λέγεις ὅτι τέξομαι; φοβοῦμαι μὴ ἀπάτῃ λαλῇς, ἀλλ᾽ ὅμως ἴδε βοᾷς· Εὐλογεῖτε, πάντα τὰ ἔργα Κυρίου τὸν Κύριον.

http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Mar/25.uni.htm
WPM
Archon

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

Why do you need all those rules just to have sex?..
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

Because in the Orthodox Church, they don't believe it is 'just' something you do. They believe it's part of a marriage. That's it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »

Now I admit, some of these rules seem very odd, unnecessary and "taking it too far," but, I think the point is that we see sex as something more powerful and special than just a naturalistic function--as much as I may delude myself into thinking it is whenever I  get a burning in my loins--but something much more powerful that needs to be handled and directed in the right way.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have two somewhat separate, but related questions. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the Orthodox Church's teachings on (1) the purpose of marriage and (2) the place that romance and sexual relations have in the lives of married couples, and engaged couples. I would appreciate any and all references to specific quotes  by the Church Fathers, etc.

http://easternchristianinsights.blogspot.com/2013/04/metropolitan-hilarion-alfeyev-on.html

Met Hilarion makes a few assertions that are problematic from a patristic perspective.  See the short comments to this article by "Jason" at this link:

http://theinnerkingdom.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/orthodox-marriage-its-misunderstanding-by-bishop-hilarion-alfeyev/#comment-1641
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

jah777, on further reflection, I don't think any of the fathers you have quoted are at odds with what St. John Chrysostom is saying….  This is especially true since most of the fathers you have quoted were really talking about sexual relations in general, including those outside of marriage, and their audience was monastics (the "Philokalia" texts in particular).  St. John is talking about sexual relations exclusively within marriage.

Yes, you are right to point out the importance of the audience and overall context of these quotes from the Fathers, and to point out that there is a difference between speaking of sexual relations in a general way as to the overall purpose of such relations, and speaking specifically about what is proper regarding sexual relations within marriage.  While some of the quotes I provided were from the Philokalia, some of these quotes were addressed to laity specifically on the subject of sexual relations within marriage.  For instance:

St. Clement of Rome
The Recognitions, Book VI, Chapter XII – Importance of Chastity

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf08.vi.iii.viii.xii.html
But this kind of chastity is also to be observed, that sexual intercourse must not take place heedlessly and for the sake of mere pleasure, but for the sake of begetting children.  And since this observance is found even amongst some of the lower animals, it were a shame if it be not observed by men, reasonable, and worshipping God.

St. Leo the Great
The Book of Pastoral Rule

Chapter XXVII
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf212.iii.iv.iv.xxviii.html
Husbands and wives are to be admonished to remember that they are joined together for the sake of producing offspring; and, when, giving themselves to immoderate intercourse, they transfer the occasion of procreation to the service of pleasure, to consider that, though they go not outside wedlock yet in wedlock itself they exceed the just dues of wedlock.  Whence it is needful that by frequent supplications they do away their having fouled with the admixture of pleasure the fair form of conjugal union.

Lactantius (AD 260 – 330)
Book V, Chapter VIII

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf07.iii.ii.v.viii.html
There would be no adulteries, and debaucheries, and prostitution of women, if it were known to all, that whatever is sought beyond the desire of procreation is condemned by God.

I provide these quotes just by way of example.  I think several other quotes I provided also address the subject of sexual relations within marriage and are not written or spoken for a monastic audience.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:53 PM »

I'm referring to the ones that, once touched, most easily cause sexual excitement or a sensation of abuse if the touch was not permitted.

Although some people feel sexual excitement in non erotic parts of the body, I doubt any judge would consider touching a shoulder with a hand without permission a kind of sexual abuse.

Let's not expand so much the meaning of things to the point they loose all meaning.

Hello everyone,

Just correcting:

I would say that kissing and hugging, and just being cozy is not a problem. Touching erotic parts of the body or near them is not ok
Fabio,

Can you tell me some non-erotic parts of the human body?

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

Met Hilarion makes a few assertions that are problematic from a patristic perspective.  See the short comments to this article by "Jason" at this link:

http://theinnerkingdom.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/orthodox-marriage-its-misunderstanding-by-bishop-hilarion-alfeyev/#comment-1641
Is it a bunch of snippets of patristic quotes with disjointed commentary?

Edit: Yep.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:16:21 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have two somewhat separate, but related questions. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the Orthodox Church's teachings on (1) the purpose of marriage and (2) the place that romance and sexual relations have in the lives of married couples, and engaged couples. I would appreciate any and all references to specific quotes  by the Church Fathers, etc.

Met Hilarion makes a few assertions that are problematic from a patristic perspective.  See the short comments to this article by "Jason" at this link:

Is it a bunch of snippets of patristic quotes with disjointed commentary?

Edit: Yep.

And?  Do these "snippets" of patristic quotes, or any other patristic quotes (aside from a few by St. John Chrysostom that have been presented in this thread) support Met Hilarion's assertions?  He directly contradicts St. John of Damascus, St. Leo the Great, and others.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:03:29 AM by jah777 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: