OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 05:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the magical thinking of papal infallibility no longer makes any sense to me  (Read 10447 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »

It is not wild, its fact.  You refuse to submit yourselves to the supreme infallible Roman Pontiff, therefore you are not Catholic. You have no authority to declare the Pope as a heretic because the Popes all the way from the 1100s have declared themselves to be above judgement of any mortal.  Only God can judge them.  Of course we Orthodox do not believe that, but we also do not claim to be Roman Catholics, so no problems there.  As a Roman Catholic, you must believe that, and if you believe that then you have to accept the current Pope.  To declare the Pope heretic is to deny a 900 year old teaching of the Roman Catholic Church (you only reject Vatican II so you cannot reject this teaching) that the Pope is above judgement by any mere human being.  And if you deny that teaching, you are not Roman Catholic.

For those of us who has 33 years of Roman Catholic catechism in our heads, we just don't want to put such information to waste  Grin

I'm trying to fnd some consistency in your posts. But I fail.

First you, using the phrase "we Orthodox" (could you remind me when were you received into the Church? I missed that) infallibly proclaim what "we Orthodox" believe or not believe. Then you defend the Roman Catholic Church from some other Roman Catholics who do not agree with it.

Can you decide what are you? Catholic? Orthodox? Orthodox catechuman? What do you believe?

I for one think Choy has consistently put forth these views not as his own, but as what he has been taught in the Orthodox and Catholic Catechism classes respectively.
I don't think that's what Mike is addressing. If choy is really an Orthodox catechumen as he says he is, then why does he continue to insert himself into arguments internal to the Roman Catholic Church that he left? Such internecine RC squabbles should no longer be his concern, since he left them behind.
While I think Choy is just a great guy, you know very well that ex-Catholics can't help themselves.  Cheesy
I can tell. Roll Eyes Wink
choy
Archon

« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

Choy is no longer Catholic, but is not yet Orthodox.

This makes me feel like Britney Spears.
choy
Archon

« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »

"Us"? He attends an OCA parish, you are a true-genuine-patristic-something type.

I wasn't aware that Orthodoxy is like Theosis, where some are just more Orthodox than others.
choy
Archon

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »

First you, using the phrase "we Orthodox" (could you remind me when were you received into the Church? I missed that) infallibly proclaim what "we Orthodox" believe or not believe. Then you defend the Roman Catholic Church from some other Roman Catholics who do not agree with it.

Can you decide what are you? Catholic? Orthodox? Orthodox catechuman? What do you believe?

If you have a problem to the times I use "we" as I relate teachings that were given to me, you can write to my bishop and ask him why my priest told me that those are what the Orthodox believe.

I am Orthodox and I believe what the Orthodox believe.  But again, am I supposed to just develop amnesia for the 36 years I was Catholic?  Am I supposed to forget what the Roman Catholic Church says what makes a Catholic or not?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:18:16 PM by choy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

But again, am I supposed to just develop amnesia for the 36 years I was Catholic?  Am I supposed to forget what the Roman Catholic Church says what makes a Catholic or not?

"Should I stop being Roman Catholic when I join the Orthodox Church?"

Yeah, pretty much.
choy
Archon

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

I don't think that's what Mike is addressing. If choy is really an Orthodox catechumen as he says he is, then why does he continue to insert himself into arguments internal to the Roman Catholic Church that he left? Such internecine RC squabbles should no longer be his concern, since he left them behind.

Should I pretend that I do not know what makes a Roman Catholic or not per Roman Catholic teaching?
choy
Archon

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »

But again, am I supposed to just develop amnesia for the 36 years I was Catholic?  Am I supposed to forget what the Roman Catholic Church says what makes a Catholic or not?

Yeah, pretty much.

Oh, so you have a right to speak for me and I don't have a right to speak for you?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »

Yeah, pretty much.

Which is totally different from erasing from his memory and thought processes 30+ years of Catholic teaching.  And I think you probably know that.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

LOL

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »

LOL

Whoops, I apostatized and converted again!

J/K Wink

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »

Should I pretend that I do not know what makes a Roman Catholic or not per Roman Catholic teaching?
No, just stop pretending that you know. What does it matter to you what makes a Roman Catholic or not per Roman Catholic teaching, anyway? You left all that behind, remember?
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »

Yeah, pretty much.

Oh, so you have a right to speak for me and I don't have a right to speak for you?
I noticed that too.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »

No, just stop pretending that you know. What does it matter to you what makes a Roman Catholic or not per Roman Catholic teaching, anyway? You left all that behind, remember?
Maybe it matters to him. A person can have knowledge about a group without belonging to it. Why are you so concerned about what Choy says and does?

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

There is no love of the Code of Canon Law in the Melkite Church

... which, of course, you aren't a part of.

Why should they care about it? They follow the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches instead.
When did you become a Melkite Catholic?

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

I am Orthodox

You can't assert that, yet.

and I believe what the Orthodox believe.

What do the Orthodox believe and how is that different from Roman/Greek Catholicism?

When you receive the Holy Oil of Chrismation, you become a new man having put the old man in the past.  If you're still lured by Roman/Greek Catholicism, perhaps you need to discuss that with your Priest who's supervising your catechism.  You're not smarter than your Priest.   Shocked
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

But again, am I supposed to just develop amnesia for the 36 years I was Catholic?  Am I supposed to forget what the Roman Catholic Church says what makes a Catholic or not?

Yeah, pretty much.

Which is totally different from erasing from his memory and thought processes 30+ years of Catholic teaching.  And I think you probably know that.

I also have 30+ years of Catholic teaching, including time spent at a Catholic university and in a convent.
And yes, if we continue to treat catechumens with disrespect, and fail to pray for them, they might not persevere. And the fault will be ours because of our lack of patience and love.

Could we return to the original topic?
If the original topic has been fully discussed, I would like make a suggestion: Please lock this thread permanently.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:12:25 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

If you're still lured by Roman/Greek Catholicism . . .
I didn't know that Choy was still attracted to the Roman Catholic Church, in the sense of wanting to be Catholic, where did he indicate that he is?

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

Could we return to the original topic?
If the original topic has been fully discussed, I would like make a suggestion: Please lock this thread permanently.
That might be a good idea, since the thread seems to have devolved into a "let's be rude to Choy" thread for some posters.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »

I am Orthodox and I believe what the Orthodox believe.  But again, am I supposed to just develop amnesia for the 36 years I was Catholic?  Am I supposed to forget what the Roman Catholic Church says what makes a Catholic or not?

You should not renounce anything, but bring all that is best in RCC with you and enrich with it the Orthodox Church. You should not judge other people and tell what makes a catholic a catholic - just as you shouldn't have when being catholic.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »

If you're still lured by Roman/Greek Catholicism . . .
I didn't know that Choy was still attracted to the Roman Catholic Church, in the sense of wanting to be Catholic, where did he indicate that he is?

I was making a friendly suggestion because he is a cathecumen and he has expressed strong feelings for both Orthodoxy and Catholicism throughout his posting history here. . . .
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

I was making a friendly suggestion because he is a cathecumen and he has expressed strong feelings for both Orthodoxy and Catholicism throughout his posting history here. . . .
I see. I was looking at this thread, and taking into account the posts he has made since his conversion to Orthodoxy, but if I had also taken into account his posts while he was a Catholic, I suppose - like you - I would be confused on the matter. But why take into account his posts from his time as a Catholic? In this thread I have not seen Choy say that he wants to be Catholic again; instead, all I have seen him do is apply the knowledge (30 some years worth) he has about the Catholic Church. Certainly there is nothing wrong with doing that is there (i.e. , applying the knowledge he possesses)? I used to be a High Church Anglican, and when I became Catholic I did not lose all the knowledge and experience I had of being a member of that ecclesial body.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:45:54 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

Since he is an Orthodox catechumen, he is part of us.

"Us"? He attends an OCA parish, you are a true-genuine-patristic-something type.

Oh, I forgot. You also can't decide whether you left your previous Church or not.

Hmmm ... I wasn't aware of that. (I mean, I was aware that Maria is used to be Catholic, but not that she has doubts about whether she left.)

I guess that throws a new light on her recent proclamation that the Maronite Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »

Oh, I forgot. You also can't decide whether you left your previous Church or not.

Hmmm ... I wasn't aware of that. (I mean, I was aware that Maria is used to be Catholic, but not that she has doubts about whether she left.)

I guess that throws a new light on her recent proclamation that the Maronite Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal.

I was a Melkite, then I was chrismated into World Orthodoxy.
Now I am a member of the Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece under Kallinikos.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:51:43 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »

I see. I was looking at this thread, and taking into account the posts he has made since his conversion to Orthodoxy,

He hasn't converted.  I don't see being a cathecumen as equaling a full conversion.

but if I had also taken into account his posts while he was a Catholic I - like you - would be confused on the matter. But why take into account his posts from his time as a Catholic? In this thread I have not seen Choy say that he wants to be Catholic again; instead, all I have seen him do is apply the knowledge (30 some years worth) he has about the Catholic Church. Certainly there is nothing wrong with doing that is there (i.e. , applying the knowledge he possesses)? I used to be a High Church Anglican, and when I became Catholic I did not lose all the knowledge and experience I had of being a member of that ecclesial body.

This forum has a history of cathecumens who become Orthodox, hyperdox and subsequently burn out.  Others and myself are responding to that trend.  I really hope Choy becomes and remains Orthodox.   Smiley
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »

What kind of light? Anybody who wants to (Catholic or non-Catholic, Roman or Eastern) can have an opinion on whether or not Eastern Catholic Patriarchs should be cardinals.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

This forum has a history of cathecumens who become Orthodox, hyperdox and subsequently burn out.  Others and myself are responding to that trend.  I really hope Choy becomes and remains Orthodox.   Smiley
Well, you can't really judge Choy by the histories of others. He is an individual. Whether he completes his conversion or not will be determined by his own choices and God's, and not by the history of what has happened on this forum. God bless.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »

Well, you can't really judge Choy by the histories of others. He is an individual. Whether he completes his conversion or not will be determined by his own choices and God's, and not by the history of what has happened on this forum. God bless.

Where is the Christian love?

This thread has devolved into a free for all.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

I must say that I am surprised by the degree of rudeness that has been directed towards Choy by some posters in this thread. He is castigated by some people for taking it upon himself to "speak for the Orthodox" and yet some of the very same posters who scold him take it upon themselves to speak for the Orthodox in other threads. It is sad to witness. Thankfully I know several Orthodox Christians in real life (not in the pseudo-reality of the internet) and they do not exhibit this rude and hypocritical attitude, and I praise God for that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:02:52 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »

It is not wild, its fact.  You refuse to submit yourselves to the supreme infallible Roman Pontiff, therefore you are not Catholic. You have no authority to declare the Pope as a heretic because the Popes all the way from the 1100s have declared themselves to be above judgement of any mortal.  Only God can judge them.  Of course we Orthodox do not believe that, but we also do not claim to be Roman Catholics, so no problems there.  As a Roman Catholic, you must believe that, and if you believe that then you have to accept the current Pope.  To declare the Pope heretic is to deny a 900 year old teaching of the Roman Catholic Church (you only reject Vatican II so you cannot reject this teaching) that the Pope is above judgement by any mere human being.  And if you deny that teaching, you are not Roman Catholic.

For those of us who has 33 years of Roman Catholic catechism in our heads, we just don't want to put such information to waste  Grin

I for one think Choy has consistently put forth these views not as his own, but as what he has been taught in the Orthodox and Catholic Catechism classes respectively.

I still do this occasionally (eg "insert myself into arguments internal to the RCC") on here.  Why?  Because I still have family who are RC.  My wife is still (nominally) RC.  If I see someone posting some really confused or outright wrong statements re: RC belief, I feel compelled to correct them, not because I think the beliefs themselves are true, but because one should accept or reject a teaching based on what the teaching actually is.  I don't do it as often as I used to because people like Papist, J Michael, and others are usually quick to the punch and my input is totally unnecessary.  When I do, I try to do it as clinically as possible, so to speak.

Telling choy to just forget what he knows is ridiculous and counter-productive to this strengths as a catechumen.  Should he do it all the time?  Probably not and I would counsel him, as an ex-RC myself, to pick his battles wisely.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

I still do this occasionally (eg "insert myself into arguments internal to the RCC") on here.  Why?  Because I still have family who are RC.  My wife is still (nominally) RC.  If I see someone posting some really confused or outright wrong statements re: RC belief, I feel compelled to correct them, not because I think the beliefs themselves are true, but because one should accept or reject a teaching based on what the teaching actually is.  I don't do it as often as I used to because people like Papist, J Michael, and others are usually quick to the punch and my input is totally unnecessary.  When I do, I try to do it as clinically as possible, so to speak.

Telling choy to just forget what he knows is ridiculous and counter-productive to this strengths as a catechumen.  Should he do it all the time?  Probably not and I would counsel him, as an ex-RC myself, to pick his battles wisely.  

A voice of reason! I wish you were still a mod here.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »

Whenever anything has to tell you it's first, genuine, etc., especially in its brand name, take the odds and bet against that claim.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Whenever anything has to tell you it's first, genuine, etc., especially in its brand name, take the odds and bet against that claim.
Well that works too.

Now don't get me started on what I actually think about that group.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

A voice of reason! I wish you were still a mod here.
I agree. Thanks for the excellent post Schultz.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »

The exception is the name of my new scooter, produced the Genuine Scooter Company.  A Genuine Stella actually is a genuine Stella. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »

Why is everyone so concerned with Choy, and asking him to "prove" his Faith?

Has anyone asked you to prove yours?

Besides, why are "known" Orthodox so concerned about what he says about Roman Catholicism?  Seriously, folks....relax a bit.  If he claimed to be Orthodox and was preaching anti-Orthodox dogma in the Faith Issues Forum, then you can question his Orthodox knowledge, but, as that's not the case, I suggest everyone back down a bit.

I've had a number of jobs in my life.  I've been trained thoroughly for each one.  As it is, "jobs" don't last forever anymore, and I find myself having to learn something new almost every few years.  That doesn't mean I have forgotten what I did before....and if a topic concerning my previous job came up in a conversation, I would feel qualified to add my two cents.  This is what's going on with Choy.  He knows about the RC, and has every right to discuss it.

Isn't this supposed to be a discussion?  Not everyone will always agree....but, we should hear everyone out.  

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »

I must say that I am surprised by the degree of rudeness that has been directed towards Choy by some posters in this thread. He is castigated by some people for taking it upon himself to "speak for the Orthodox" and yet some of the very same posters who scold him take it upon themselves to speak for the Orthodox in other threads. It is sad to witness. Thankfully I know several Orthodox Christians in real life (not in the pseudo-reality of the internet) and they do not exhibit this rude and hypocritical attitude, and I praise God for that.

If I were to base my conversion to Orthodoxy based on the general attitude on this forum (and of course there are a bunch of people who are wonderful and have been great examples of what an Orthodox Christian is based on what they show on this forum), I would not have converted.  Thankfully the people in my parish never treated me in such a way, even the time I wasn't sure I was converting or not.  And my priest especially, always showed me love and care and never pressured me to be anything I am not or do something I do not want to do.
choy
Archon

« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

LOL

J/K Wink

Heheheh, I was talking about her other song, "Not a girl, not yet a woman"  Cheesy Grin Tongue
choy
Archon

« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »

The thing is, I do know.

And what does it matter to me?  I want people to be honest about it.  When I converted to Orthodoxy my priest was honest to me about what is Orthodox and what is not, including squashing any notion I have of me being "Orthodox in communion with Rome" being Eastern Catholic.  Being honest about one's situation is important.  Actually, being honest about everything is important.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:45:24 PM by choy » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »

The thing is, I do know.

Exactly, how can one stop pretending when they are not pretending?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:00:32 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »

LOL

J/K Wink

Heheheh, I was talking about her other song, "Not a girl, not yet a woman"  Cheesy Grin Tongue

If only you hadn't explained it . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

So noted, although that's actually rather incidental to the point of my post ...

I guess that throws a new light on her [your] recent proclamation that the Maronite Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal.

What kind of light? Anybody who wants to (Catholic or non-Catholic, Roman or Eastern) can have an opinion on whether or not Eastern Catholic Patriarchs should be cardinals.

I don't really have a precise thesis here, but it seems a little strange to me when Orthodox (or any non-Catholics for that matter) decide that the Maronite Catholic Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal. (I would even feel a little strange saying that myself since I'm Melkite Catholic and not Maronite Catholic.)

Just saying.

choy
Archon

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »

I am Orthodox

You can't assert that, yet.

and I believe what the Orthodox believe.

What do the Orthodox believe and how is that different from Roman/Greek Catholicism?

When you receive the Holy Oil of Chrismation, you become a new man having put the old man in the past.  If you're still lured by Roman/Greek Catholicism, perhaps you need to discuss that with your Priest who's supervising your catechism.  You're not smarter than your Priest.   Shocked

If there's a question I can answer, why shouldn't I answer it?  It's not about being lured.  I know these things, should I pretend I don't?  Just to give a false impression about being Orthodox and not caring about my former Church?  Of course I care, just not in the way you think.
choy
Archon

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »

LOL

J/K Wink

If only you hadn't explained it . . .

I'd like to see who the Britney fans are out here  Cheesy
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

So noted, although that's actually rather incidental to the point of my post ...

I guess that throws a new light on her [your] recent proclamation that the Maronite Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal.

I don't really have a precise thesis here, but it seems a little strange to me when Orthodox (or any non-Catholics for that matter) decide that the Maronite Catholic Patriarch shouldn't be a cardinal. (I would even feel a little strange saying that myself since I'm Melkite Catholic and not Maronite Catholic.)

Just saying.

My ancestry is Maronite, but I knew quite a few Maronites who were upset that their church has been so latinized. They joined the Melkite Church.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:03:28 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »

My ancestry is Maronite,

Not really the same as being Maronite. (Not that I'm trying to turn this into a discussion about Maronites.  Lips Sealed  Smiley )

Tags: That Irenaeus quote 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: