OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Response to SNL Djesus  (Read 2511 times) Average Rating: 0
Ava

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »

I'm divided on the appropriate response to this and others like it. Minasoliman seems to be taking the best approach, on the other hand Christ also drove the money changers out of the Temple, and St. Paul had no shortage of rebukes for those who threatened to corrupt society.

SNL is not "in the Temple." However, many of the outrage-mongers are.

Didn't Christ make all people Temples?

Does that mean we need to roam through commercial districts at random knocking over tables and breaking windows?

I don't know, to be honest with you. I would say no but there have been many saints in the Orthodox Church who used force to promote the faith, and who can speak against a saint?

Stop kidding yourself. Nobody is actually promoting the faith here with these thin-skinned "OMG I'm offended" antics. On the contrary, it just corroborates the general perception of Christians as an entrenched group which adds nothing to the surrounding culture except occasional fits of whining over movies or elephant-dung madonnas. Nobody is overturning any tables here. SNL is not in the least disrupted by these protests- quite the contrary, the manufactured outrage over the skit has simply given more attention and oxygen to a mediocre show that should have closed its doors years ago. Thanks "Christians" for lending continued relevance to crap and bolstering the national cult of stupidity.

I was hoping to discuss the larger topic at hand, i.e. the best Christian response to anti-Christian expressions in the modern age. But I see you'd rather stay fixated on this particular instance.

No, my comments are quite generally applicable. Last Temptation of Christ, The Golden Compass, some "artist" putting a cross in a jar of urine, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The best response to anti-Christian expressions in the modern age is to stop making them look like they have a point.

You are absolutely correct.  Those "artists" feed off Christian outrage, they get a kick out of it and try to make it worse each time.  I shamefully grew up around that stuff as a former athiest.  They use the outrage to marginalize the faith, and actually become very succesful at it.  I remember the embarrassing news reports of people crying and making fools of themselves over The Last Tempation of Christ.
Demmanding an apology is not so extreme here but it's filed away in their sick little world as a victory to ticking the Christians off.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »

You are absolutely correct.  Those "artists" feed off Christian outrage, they get a kick out of it and try to make it worse each time.  I shamefully grew up around that stuff as a former athiest.  They use the outrage to marginalize the faith, and actually become very succesful at it.  I remember the embarrassing news reports of people crying and making fools of themselves over The Last Tempation of Christ.
Demmanding an apology is not so extreme here but it's filed away in their sick little world as a victory to ticking the Christians off.

I would agree that those who create this type of thing feed off the outrage, but the executives of the networks are concerned about one things - advertising dollars. I do not know if this will make a difference, but it has a greater chance of bringing awareness to someone rather then silence.

Joseph
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

If they had the guts to do it to islam I wouldnt mind, but SNL is too scared and instead goes after easy targets constantly, be it christians or conservatives.

Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 04:18:58 PM »

If they had the guts to do it to islam I wouldnt mind, but SNL is too scared and instead goes after easy targets constantly, be it christians or conservatives.

EDITED

EDITED

EDITED

EDIT--Post edited due to this not being in the politics section.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ava

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

I would agree that those who create this type of thing feed off the outrage, but the executives of the networks are concerned about one things - advertising dollars. I do not know if this will make a difference, but it has a greater chance of bringing awareness to someone rather then silence.

I understand what you're saying.  Networks like NBC have their demographics nailed down though.  They know who's watching.  They are catering to an established audience who eats that stuff up.
There will always be nasty stuff said about Christianity.  It's a matter of picking battles, and I think the PR battle is a losing one for Christianity in this instance. Undecided
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »

Minasoliman-

Who said anything about confronting this with a "cantankerous tongue?" How about confronting public blasphemy with a public defense of our Lord/Faith? How about a public recitation of the Canon of Repentance by a group of Orthodox Christians in front of the NBC studios?

Nobody, at least not myself, am calling for some loud angry protest. But I certainly think a public, prayerful defense is appropriate.

Two things:

1.  You may not have a cantankerous tongue, but are you sure the people who come with you will also be "prayerful"?  Let's be realistic here.  One thing will turn into another.  A protest always results in anger.  You mingle yourself with Protestants who are quite militant about this stuff, and won't pray the same prayers you want to pray.

2.  Assuming we have a peaceful crowd, what benefit does it bring that we do a "prayerful" defense or protest?  What exactly are you defending?  Christ?  Since when does He need your defense?  We would be the ones doing the insulting God if we would go and defend Christ from others' insults.  Are we actually going to say, "Christ never had guns?"  That's already well-known.  Are we going to say, "Christ never sought revenge"?  Ya, they know that too.  What exactly are you going to tell them?  Are going to threaten them?  Are you going to boycott them?  There's a lot more people in this country who are not "really Christian" than there are devout Christians.  What then are you going to do?  Unless you're violently affective as Muslims, you will waste your time, and rather than going and doing charitable works, you do this.  Someone in the street needs bread for the day, and instead, you send people to "prayerfully defend" the One who needs no defense.

Actually, I'm going to argue quite the opposite though.  While SNL was being silly, and they do know Christ literally did not do the things that were depicted, and they do know that they were being sacrilegious, nevertheless, there is a lot of accuracy here.  How many people in this world call themselves Christians wield their guns in vengeance towards others, or worse, forcing others to convert in history?  How many people in this world call themselves Christians, and regularly cuss?  How many people in this world who call themselves Christians, do the things done in this video?  If we are the body of Christ, then there is a lot of truth in this depiction, and we deserve the depiction.  If you have an itch of "prayerful" defense, do it against those who call themselves Christians that allows SNL to make such a political cartoonish satire, not SNL itself, which would enjoy profitably by those "prayerful" defenses.

When St. Paul or the Church fathers had to make defenses for the faith, it was because people of the Church were going astray from those beliefs.  Who in the Church is going to go astray from this silly video?  Who are you helping in this "defense"?  I see no one being helped by our reaction, no matter how peaceful our reaction is, and thus, we become like the man who buries his one talent and does not double it.

Again, we're wasting our time.

One more thing:

Well, wouldn't that be a compliment for the type of people we are?  That would even give us more of a reason and opportunity to double our talents in this world.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:42:00 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »

on Hannity

Pretty good discussion. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »

Embarrassing. For whoever put that video together.

News: Christians out of touch yet again with satire.

Extra News: We want to sell you some outrage. Let's look at what we don't want to see!

Yep, pretty embarrassing.  And I like the pithless response.  Bleh to these silly efforts.  Leave that to TBN or some other pseudo-Christian charlatans.

I agree that weakness in the face of evil is not a virtue, but all I see in this response is whining.  At least give us some shouting, bearded folk or something.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: