OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:47:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In the Beginning  (Read 655 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: March 21, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »

I receive daily readings regarding fast days and saints that are celebrated. And this week due to the start of the Great Lent, the readings are from the Book of Genesis and how God made the Heavens, the Earth, breathed life into man and so on.

What I want to know is - I've never asked about this, nor have I been told - but how do we have testimonials to how God created Man in the beginning? Who kept records or passed along the information?

Also, dinosaurs - how are they explained in Christianity?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »

Dinosaurs lived tens to hundreds of millions of years ago, so that woukd be for scientists to explain, and religion would just give an overview and context for the explanations. Regarding creation narratives and other 'beginnings' type stories, it's possible that they were revealed by God, inspired, and people at a later date began writing them down. It is also possible that someone wrote the narratives for other reasons or using other inspiration. These two possibilities are not mutually exclusive, and some might argue are not only complementary, but also very likely to have been combined.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

Dinousaurs went extinct thousands of years ago .. It may also give credit to the OEC Old Earth Creationist view. The OEC Old Earth Creationist view purports an earth that is actually billions of years old instead of the YEC Young Earth which is only 6,000 years old. The alternative side is Science and Evolution which is the supporting theory of how animals and life forms evolved over time ... Natural selection, Common Ancestor, etc. Really is the stuff you find in History & Science Museum.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:31:40 PM by WPM » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »

Simple. God did itWink

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Godspell
Arch-layman

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »

I receive daily readings regarding fast days and saints that are celebrated. And this week due to the start of the Great Lent, the readings are from the Book of Genesis and how God made the Heavens, the Earth, breathed life into man and so on.

What I want to know is - I've never asked about this, nor have I been told - but how do we have testimonials to how God created Man in the beginning? Who kept records or passed along the information?

Also, dinosaurs - how are they explained in Christianity?
It is my position that God designed the natural laws and through them brought creation into existence. It is my belief that without the natural world to represent our norm, we would not have an appreciation for the supernatural existence of God. If miracles were so common, how would we see how awesome our Lord was when He became man?

I generally distrust the literal interpretation of the seven day creation account, because we now know that the passage of time is completely relative. It would make more sense that the account uses God as the anchor of time in which case the time that passed from our perspective could have been any number of days.

At the end of the day, though, none of us were there so we don't know. But I think the important thing to take from Genesis is that we come from God and we need a savior.

I say let the scientists not medal into morality and let the theologians not medal into science. Neither case seems to ever turn out well. I think we need synergy between the two not competition.

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »

If understanding Genesis is a fun topic for you, here is plenty of reading material. Although, you might end up banging your head against your keyboard by page 50. Tongue

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4959.5625.html

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
tcolon90

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Revert (Technically)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

The genesis account was revealed to moses on the mountain where he met god. How and what he saw is a mystery but he recorded it through a scribe.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 01:57:07 AM »

The genesis account was revealed to moses on the mountain where he met god. How and what he saw is a mystery but he recorded it through a scribe.

Source?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: