OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 11:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis be shaking up my street!  (Read 269 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: March 20, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »

This is where I've mentioned before I can find dozens of hookers all times a day:

Pope Francis has already made it clear that his papacy will focus on the poor and destitute. It's a mission the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor have lived out for years. The order of nuns started a ministry in 2010 to help prostitutes in Over-the-Rhine.

. . . .

Driving down McMicken Avenue in Over the Rhine, it's common to see women like Sarah standing at the corner. Today she's crossing the street to meet someone you might not expect. "Sister Grace, she has helped a lot of us out. And if it wasn't for her, there's times we would be freezing outside, starving, no clean clothes."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Local-Nun-Helps-Over-the-Rhine-Prostitutes/XkdpuvCJRE-4ElnG14ZYlQ.cspx

Just saw two girls get pickup yesterday within as many minutes as I walked by on my way home. It's weird every time. Watching men check out the woman they want and negotiate always strikes me very oddly no matter how many times I've seen it.

RC women have been helping in this neighborhood for forever. Sad the way many Orders have gotten treated over the years.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:45:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. I pray that one day we will also have similar services.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. I pray that one day we will also have similar services.

That is a great story.  Nuns (especially) and male religious do similar things all over the world, and may God bless them for it.

As to the Orthodox, lay and/or religious, performing similar works...what's stopping you?

I'm certainly no historian of religious orders, but it seems to me that with reference to orthonorm's comment, "Sad the way many Orders have gotten treated over the years.", that much of the reason for that may have something to do with their theological and political "liberalism" which brings them into conflict with the teachings and authority of the Church.  But that's a whole other discussion.  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: