OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Are you Catholic or Christian?"  (Read 1225 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 20, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »

Where exactly in Protestantism did this question originate, and what exactly is the purpose of it? This is something I've observed among many "non-denominationals" in my life, and I've met some of them who've even got angry when I corrected them about it. In my experience, it seems like a rather derogatory dichotomy rooted in anti-Catholicism (which would also apply to the Orthodox if they knew who we were), yet, at the same time, I've met many people who ask this question without any malicious intent at all.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »

Where exactly in Protestantism did this question originate, and what exactly is the purpose of it? This is something I've observed among many "non-denominationals" in my life, and I've met some of them who've even got angry when I corrected them about it. In my experience, it seems like a rather derogatory dichotomy rooted in anti-Catholicism (which would also apply to the Orthodox if they knew who we were), yet, at the same time, I've met many people who ask this question without any malicious intent at all.
I usually just say: No, I am not a Christian. I am a Catholic.
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:29:47 AM »

Don't give the question more value than it deserves. Around my parts it's "Catholic, Christian, or Mormon?" It's not malice, it's ignorance. The youth is extremely ignorant. I know a girl who professes to be "Catholic Christian." I told her that being Catholic implies being Christian. She promptly informed me that on some Sundays she goes to Mass and on others she goes to her local Christian "Cowboy Church." Sigh. Pray for our generation!

I generally answer "Orthodox Catholic," as they are too uninformed to know what Orthodoxy is and at least it will give them some idea of my background, as they'll likely just assume "Catholic" and know that I venerate the saints, etc.

Hopefully.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:30:40 AM by Antonis » Logged

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »

Don't give the question more value than it deserves. Around my parts it's "Catholic, Christian, or Mormon?" It's not malice, it's ignorance. The youth is extremely ignorant. I know a girl who professes to be "Catholic Christian." I told her that being Catholic implies being Christian. She promptly informed me that on some Sundays she goes to Mass and on others she goes to her local Christian "Cowboy Church." Sigh. Pray for our generation!

I generally answer "Orthodox Catholic," as they are too uninformed to know what Orthodoxy is and at least it will give them some idea of my background, as they'll likely just assume "Catholic" and know that I venerate the saints, etc.

Hopefully.

When I was at a UPS office, a customer ahead of me asked me if I were a Christian.

I answered, "Yes, I am a Greek Orthodox Christian."

He responded, "I know exactly what kind of Christian you are. You are a works-based Catholic without a Pope."

Turns out that he was a Masters University seminarian in his last semester of studies.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:35:19 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:38:24 AM »

Turns out that he was a Masters University seminarian in his last semester of studies.

Do they actually teach anything at those Universities anymore??

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:08 AM »

Have you ever been to one?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »

I visited Stanford and San Jose State a few times

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:08:01 AM »

Well, at first I was impressed that he had studied a semester unit about Greek Orthodox.
Then my enthusiasm turned to grief when I realized that they had Greeks labeled as works-based Catholics sans Pope. Little knowledge is dangerous.

Then there was the Greek Orthodox Priest (GOARCH) who went to the airport to pick up the bishop. The Greek Priest was wearing his riassa, so a man approached him and asked if he were a rabbi.
The priest replied, "No I am Greek Orthodox."
The man stated, "I have never met any Greek Orthodox Jews."
The priest responded, "No, I am a Greek Orthodox Christian Priest."
The man said, "Oh, do you still worship Zeus?"

The priest did not have time to finish this conversation, shook his head, and went to greet the Bishop.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:10:18 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »

I visited Stanford and San Jose State a few times
Well, I suppose they don't teach anything at Stanford then, do they? Wink
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »

Well, at first I was impressed that he had studied a semester unit about Greek Orthodox.
Then my enthusiasm turned to grief when I realized that they had Greeks labeled as works-based Catholics sans Pope. Little knowledge is dangerous.

Then there was the Greek Orthodox Priest (GOARCH) who went to the airport to pick up the bishop. The Greek Priest was wearing his riassa, so a man approached him and asked if he were a rabbi.
The man said, "Oh, do you still worship Zeus."

The priest did not have time to finish this conversation, shook his head, and went to greet the Bishop.

That reminds me of when my lapsed-Catholic grandmother found out about my conversion and questioned me about it.

"What type of Church do you go to again?"
"Eastern Orthodox"
"Orthodox? So you're a Jew now? How come?"
"It's not Jewish, it's Christian"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes grandma, I'm pretty sure that I'm not a Jew"

Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:12:11 AM »

I have a feeling it was due protestants just calling themselves and wanting to dissasociate with "roman" catholics. Thus Catholics vs Christian, its a false dichotomy but then again thats what fundamentalism thrives on.

Thank you.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:43:02 AM »

Well, everyone knows that Catholics worship Mary and a bunch of idols, so they're not proper Christians. Roll Eyes

Yahoo Answers. Bottom-feeding Central.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

The man said, "Oh, do you still worship Zeus?"

A Greek Orthodox man once approached me (in typical Orthodox Jewish garb) in an airport. We had a nice conversation.

Today, he's my priest.  Huh

When I was at a UPS office, a customer ahead of me asked me if I were a Christian.

I answered, "Yes, I am a Greek Orthodox Christian."

He responded, "I know exactly what kind of Christian you are. You are a works-based Catholic without a Pope."

I don't care what his credentials are, that's just rude. Angry
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »

I say, "Both. Mic drop." <walks away>

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »

I live in a community with many Catholics.  As a world history teacher I cover events like the Reformation briefly . . . It is my experience that they refer to Protestants as "Christians" and themselves as "Catholics."
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:07 PM »

I live in a community with many Catholics.  As a world history teacher I cover events like the Reformation briefly . . . It is my experience that they refer to Protestants as "Christians" and themselves as "Catholics."

But I would think that in doing that, they're not implying that they're not Christians, but rather using a blanket term to describe other Christian groups.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:46 PM »

But I would think that in doing that, they're not implying that they're not Christians, but rather using a blanket term to describe other Christian groups.

Exactly, and the OP noted that this question is sometimes posed "without any malicious intent at all."  To clarify, perhaps the common American simply doesn't have the word "Protestant" in their vocabulary and uses the word "Christian" without intending to insinuate that Catholics don't follow Christ.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »

Q: Are you Catholic or Christian?

A: Yes

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Gebre Egziabeher

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »

The hundreds of different types of titles all of the separated churches of Christianity have adopted is truly shameful to observe & it deeply saddens me to have to put such manufactured words of transgression before the denominator Christian. But due to all of the differences I am always forced to answer that I am a "Non-Chalcedonian/Oriental Miaphysite Orthodox Christian". More easily describing my jurisdiction is the title "Ancient Orthodox Christian" which many of the West have begun to recognize as a name for the Oriental Churches due to our conservative perseverance of the Christianity that was worldwide until 451 A.D.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:50:44 AM by Gebre Egziabeher » Logged
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »

Q: Are you Catholic or Christian?

A: Yes

Both!  Oh, yeah! Grin
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »

They are indoctrination centers..
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

This question is one of the reasons I am now Orthodox. I heard all of these foolish, derogatory things said about Catholics and said to myself "this cant all be true..."

It wasnt.

I was just as ignorant though. I didnt really know anything about Catholicism, or Orthodoxy for that matter. I just somehow had enough sense to know that these things (worshipping Mary, worshipping Pope, work-based salvation, etc.) couldnt be as accurate as my protestant friends claimed. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »

I don't have much contact with protestants these days, but I did until about 9 years ago. Anyhow, one thing I remember is that my pov was "Why don't you guys call us (Catholics) 'Christians'?" while their pov was "Why don't you guys (Catholics) call yourselves 'Christians'?"

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

I don't have much contact with protestants these days, but I did until about 9 years ago. Anyhow, one thing I remember is that my pov was "Why don't you guys call us (Catholics) 'Christians'?" while their pov was "Why don't you guys (Catholics) call yourselves 'Christians'?"

My relations with my Protestant friends is that Catholics (and Orthodox) strayed away from the early church during the time of Constantine.  And that this ancient church had to be reborn, so to speak, in the form of the Reformation and later on with the more modern forms of Protestantism.
There 'beef' is that the church was corrupted by being legitimized by governments and that the church became too Liturgical and too self absorbing in the form of earthly positions of power.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »

I've decided to start asking a similar question to them. I'm going to start asking "Are you Protestant or Christian?" and see how they react  Cheesy

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »

I've decided to start asking a similar question to them. I'm going to start asking "Are you Protestant or Christian?" and see how they react  Cheesy

LOL

I witnessed a Mennonite asked the question "are you a Catholic or Christian".  The answer was, "I am a Christian but neither Catholic or Protestant".   The man got a really funky look on his face, and there was not much more to discuss.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: