OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 11:24:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The purpose of life  (Read 352 times) Average Rating: 0
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« on: March 28, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »

What is the purpose of life? I mean does this life have a purpose on itself? Does the life you have here on Earth, in this Universe, really matters or is just a "test" for the afterlife, for eternity? A given test where your choices are accounted, where you will be judged based on your actions? Is this life just a purgatory,a place of propitiation, a test for eternity? Does this earthly life have any value in itself? Does it have any worth, blessing and purpose power in itself?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »

I personally don't get these questions. They can't be answered logically, nor can they be observed, so what's the point of discussing them? I'm a scholastic.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »

What is the purpose of life? I mean does this life have a purpose on itself? Does the life you have here on Earth, in this Universe, really matters or is just a "test" for the afterlife, for eternity? A given test where your choices are accounted, where you will be judged based on your actions? Is this life just a purgatory,a place of propitiation, a test for eternity? Does this earthly life have any value in itself? Does it have any worth, blessing and purpose power in itself?

The answer is 42.  Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:40:20 AM »

I take it you haven't read The Purpose Driven Life then?   I just watched a 3+ hour long refutation of it on youtube that was pretty entertaining. But maybe it's your thing. Check it out.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:13:52 AM »

I take it you haven't read The Purpose Driven Life then?   I just watched a 3+ hour long refutation of it on youtube that was pretty entertaining. But maybe it's your thing. Check it out.

* brilliance.

You are something else, buddy. LOL!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »

What is the purpose of life?

God.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »

Does this earthly life have any value in itself?

If it didn't, God wouldn't have created us.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »

The answer is 42.  Wink

Hasn't inflation got to that yet?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27:09 PM »

I would recommend reading The Meaning of Life by S.L. Frank. Suffice it to say, the meaning of life (or purpose) is unification with God. We all unwittingly seek this out, we seek out a better way of life. This is why the atheist existentialists were correct in noting the absurdity of life, that we seek meaning in a universe that we must give meaning to (according to their worldview). Life in and of itself is pointless and has no meaning. After all, when the next asteroid or comet crashes into our planet and wipes out human existence, what will our legacies matter? What about when the earth finally dies or is eviscerated billion of years from now by the expanding sun? Our legacies simply wander off into empty space and fall upon stars that do not acknowledge us.

Thus, life only has meaning when it comes in contact with Life, with the Eternal.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »

I would recommend reading The Meaning of Life by S.L. Frank. Suffice it to say, the meaning of life (or purpose) is unification with God. We all unwittingly seek this out, we seek out a better way of life. This is why the atheist existentialists were correct in noting the absurdity of life, that we seek meaning in a universe that we must give meaning to (according to their worldview). Life in and of itself is pointless and has no meaning. After all, when the next asteroid or comet crashes into our planet and wipes out human existence, what will our legacies matter? What about when the earth finally dies or is eviscerated billion of years from now by the expanding sun? Our legacies simply wander off into empty space and fall upon stars that do not acknowledge us.

Thus, life only has meaning when it comes in contact with Life, with the Eternal.
How you been doing man? Did you get your Master's? Or was it doctorates...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »

How you been doing man? Did you get your Master's? Or was it doctorates...

MA. And I had to put it on hold due to finances, but thankfully will start back up in the Fall.

Life has been pretty good though, I can't complain.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: