Author Topic: The Cosmos?  (Read 36917 times)

Offline Ikonguru

• Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner
  • Faith: Orthodox catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Greek - Thyateira
Re: The Cosmos?
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
....he does argue quite well for the uniqueness of The Earth, and the compelling conclusion that we must be here for a reason.
Does he argue that other planets, like Jupiter, are therefore not here for a reason?

According to his arguments, the other planets in our Solar System are there for the Earth's benefit. I can't remember all the details from the video but Jupiter helps to protect The Earth.

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/reasons/jupiter.html
It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »
....he does argue quite well for the uniqueness of The Earth, and the compelling conclusion that we must be here for a reason.
Does he argue that other planets, like Jupiter, are therefore not here for a reason?

According to his arguments, the other planets in our Solar System are there for the Earth's benefit. I can't remember all the details from the video but Jupiter helps to protect The Earth.

Well, there are millions of planets orbiting other stars, outside our solar system, outside our galaxy, even. It seems a stretch to say those extra-solar planets are there to help Earth.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:48:39 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »

Jupiter helps pull some of the dangerous comets, meterors, and asteroids away from earth.

Offline Ikonguru

• Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner
  • Faith: Orthodox catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Greek - Thyateira
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Well, there are millions of planets orbiting other stars, outside our solar system, outside our galaxy, even. It seems a stretch to say those extra-solar planets are there to help Earth.

I don't believe Hugh Ross was claiming every planet in the Universe was beneficial to Earth, but the ones in our solar system maybe, i.e as far as Pluto
It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »
I wonder whether or how Papist and xariskai have modified their views since the LIGO experiments detected gravitational waves starting a couple of years ago (I say this as someone who knows nothing about physics).
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.