OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:56:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 531 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: March 16, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »

What is the purpose of marriage? Why should we choose to marry?  Why have I not seen threads here about people discerning marriage vs. being monks and nuns?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »

Tax deductions. Lips Sealed
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »

Monasticism is a calling, and the called ones are few. The rest of us have to decide how to live in the world. You don't have to marry - unless you want a companion and a family, of course.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »

Tax deductions. Lips Sealed
Having been raised to be a good Protestant, I would have put sex before tax deductions. Married filing jointly gets a higher deduction than married filing separately. Wink
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:02:45 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »

Monasticism is a calling, and the called ones are few. The rest of us have to decide how to live in the world. You don't have to marry - unless you want a companion and a family, of course.
I think it's more accurate to say celibacy is a calling.  Monasticism is just a way of living out that celibacy, but certainly not the sole way.

But I would say, marriage is just as much a calling, no?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:07:31 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

Why have I not seen threads here about people discerning marriage vs. being monks and nuns?

Because, I hope, people have more sense than to make such a life decision via Internet forum.

I'd just as much hope to not see people starting threads asking if we think this or that person is "the one" for them.  Roll Eyes

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

Why have I not seen threads here about people discerning marriage vs. being monks and nuns?

Because, I hope, people have more sense than to make such a life decision via Internet forum.

I'd just as much hope to not see people starting threads asking if we think this or that person is "the one" for them.  Roll Eyes
Hey now, why can't a bunch of people who only know a person through one narrow aspect of their lives such as a few emails and comments offer profoundly insightful advice about someone they don't even know???

I've seen people discussing their decision making process on a Catholic site I used to post on. According to those predominantly Roman Catholics, you are supposed to discern the "religious life" before getting serious about who you will marry.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:24:23 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »

What is the purpose of marriage?

To establish the church in one's household just as God created Adam & Eve.

Why should we choose to marry?

Because we were not meant to live alone except for monastics who devote themselves to God.

People have discussed marriage and monasticism on this board.  As for discerning, you're still responsible for your own life without needing an Internet forum to tell you which direction to go (or not to go).  Plus, a lot of people don't like talking about themselves on an Internet forum whether they're interested in marriage or monasticism....
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: