OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 02:28:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox cartoons?  (Read 349 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »

I remember when I was young there was 2 animes that were funded by Evangelicals in Asia which showed the stories of the Bible for children.  One was called Superbook (maybe a reference to the Bible) where a boy, a girl and their wind-up toy robot would be transported to biblical times and experience the story.  This series encompasses the Old and New Testaments.

The other one is Flying House, basically a mad scientist creates a time machine and hooks it up to his house.  3 kids get lost in the forest and ended up inside the house where the scientist's robot assistant accidentally triggers the time machine with help from a lightning strike.  The are transported back to the time of Christ and so while the professor tries to fix the time machine, the kids wander around and live through the events of the life of Christ.  Then at the end of each episode they would try the time machine to get back to their time but they only jump a short period every time (corresponding to the events in the NT Bible).

Anyway, my main question here is, is there such a thing from any Orthodox group?  I loved watching these shows when I was young and I was hoping I can find something to have my kids watch.  I'm trying to get them more interested but my son doesn't want the religious children's books I have bought so far (I have quite a number, both Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox).  He would look at them, he knows who Jesus is, but that is it.
Nathanael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »

my son doesn't want the religious children's books I have bought so far
I saw a book for children about the saintly and ascetic Elder Joseph the Hesychast. Very interesting and 'crazy', because to let the children read about the terrible ascetic battles against the demons and passions of a saint it's a bit shocking; but maybe a boy could find it cool! There's another book for children about Saint Silouan. Imagine to let children read "Keep thy mind in hell and despair not"?!! wow. But these books are in greek language...and I don't know what sort of effect could such books have on a child (perhaps they'll start to have strong spiritual zeal, praying daily five hours, fasting,..).m.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:46:02 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »

I know of some, but they're all in greek and russian. Some with english subtitles.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

my son doesn't want the religious children's books I have bought so far
I saw a book for children about the saintly and ascetic Elder Joseph the Hesychast. Very interesting and 'crazy', because to let the children read about the terrible ascetic battles against the demons and passions of a saint it's a bit shocking; but maybe a boy could find it cool! There's another book for children about Saint Silouan. Imagine to let children read "Keep thy mind in hell and despair not"?!! wow. But these books are in greek language...

Okay, my books are just Bible stories and the Great Feasts  Grin

Maybe if Jesus was riding a train or a truck, my son would be more interested.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: