Ecumenical Patriarch +Bartholomew to attend Pope Francis' First Mass

<< < (2/45) > >>

choy:
Quote from: ialmisry on March 15, 2013, 11:54:06 AM

How many times did the EP attend the enthronement/inaugural Mass of the bishop of Rome before 1054?

But Constantinople to Rome back then was a few days, if not week, journey, not a few hours.  I would guess by the time a new Pope of Rome is chosen and by the time word got to Constantinople and the EP makes his travel plans, the new Pope of Rome would have already celebrated a dozen Liturgies.

choy:
Quote from: username! on March 15, 2013, 12:09:25 PM

Believe it or not but St. Peter's in Vatican City is actually the Patriarch of Constantinople's representation cathedral in Rome.  Or at least it was up until the 1000's or whenever someone with more history knowledge will tell us.  The pope's cathedral is St. John Lateran in Rome.

Ooohhhh.... is there any source of this?

choy:
Quote from: James2 on March 15, 2013, 12:12:10 PM

I wonder if the Pope Emeritus will be there.  Probably not - he might be more dressed up than the Pope.

Maybe he can go, he can take the Pope Mobile since Pope Francis is taking the bus anyway.

TheMathematician:
http://www.asianews.it/news-en/For-the-first-time-since-the-Great-Schism,-ecumenical-patriarch-to-attend-pope's-inaugural-Mass-27408.html

Istanbul (AsiaNews) - The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend Pope Francis's inaugural Mass. The Ecumenical Patriarchate Press Office informed AsiaNews about the decision, noting that this is the first time such an event occurs since the Catholic-Orthodox split in 1054, an important sign for Christian unity.

The ecumenical patriarch will be accompanied by Ioannis Zizioulas, metropolitan of Pergamon and co-president of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Church, as well as Tarassios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Argentina, and Gennadios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Italy.

Deep Roots:
awesome. love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page