OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:44:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Reforms" for the Curia?  (Read 997 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »

What are these reforms for the Curia the media keeps mentioning?  What is needed?  How did Pope Benedict feel about the issues?  What did he do about them?  (I have no idea what the media is talking about.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »

If its the media, then they want a Congregation of Same Sex Marriage and a Congregation of Married (not a bad thing) and Women Priests.

But also there are talks about reforming the Curia which has become the ruling body of the Church in recent times.  I think Rome really needs to get back to traditional ecclesiology.  Restore the national synods, restore the national primates, do away with the Curia.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:51:26 AM »

Restore the national synods, restore the national primates

That's not traditional ecclesiology. The Church of Rome has never been national but international.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:46 AM »

Thank you.  I have no interest whatsoever in what the media wants; I'm interested in what believers and clergy feel are the needs of the Roman Catholic Church, in the context of this Curia issue.  Are there functional problems with the Curia, an entrenched bureaucracy not necessarily responsive to the Pope, for instance?  Are there matters of corruption, patronage, or incompetence--padding of the payrolls, that have not been addressed?  I've heard priests on EWTN, which tends to be traditional, speaking of reforming the Curia---I doubt they were referring to the cultural issues of the day, or in changing age old teachings.

Thank you both, for what you have advised.

What is this issue of national synods about?  What has changed about Roman Catholic Church governance?  What existed before, and when?  What is in its place?

Remember, I am Orthodox and not familiar with governance matters in Roman Catholicism.

By the way, I am rather inspired by the traditions related the the announcement of the Papal election and observing the new Pope establishing his papacy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:16:47 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:56 AM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »

Reforms? How about all of the cardinals they have now and the fact that they are continually diversifying the geographical locales of said cardinals?  I wasn't until the middle of last century that cardinals and popes were really represented outside of Europe.  I'd say they've come a long way in acknowledging and including the global sphere of their people. 
Reforms may be on how the bishops are to handle big messes that arise in their dioceses and accountability. 
It's hard to see whenever the local RC bishop's installment shut down most of the city and had cops, dignitaries and politicians, etc.. present.  All of the elevation of his importance should not carry weight when it comes to the protection of the people under his spiritual protection.  After all it has been many years since the RCC were nobility and rulers of politics in 99% of the areas they are represented in.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

I believe that the reforms referred to with the Curia have to do with management policies and practices.  Remember, the Curia is the administrative apparatus of the Vatican.  There are also issues with the Vatican Bank.  More than that, I don't really know.  I'm not an inveterate "Vatican watcher".  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

That's not traditional ecclesiology. The Church of Rome has never been national but international.

Is that true? From my brief readings on the Western Church in the Medieval/Renaissance eras, it seems like the individual national churches were much more sovereign than they are today. IIRC, a couple of the Reformation state churches were originally Catholic state churches that were changed rather than new establishments altogether; their national sovereignty facilitating the change. This is just my impression; do correct me if I'm wrong.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »

I mean each country has its own national synod.  The Philippines used to have its own Primate, for example.  Now that is gone.  Even the RC Primates in Canada and the US are more honorific titles than "First Among Equals" in the national synod.
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

I believe that the reforms referred to with the Curia have to do with management policies and practices.  Remember, the Curia is the administrative apparatus of the Vatican.  There are also issues with the Vatican Bank.  More than that, I don't really know.  I'm not an inveterate "Vatican watcher".  Wink

Ah, the Vatican Bank.  I love their catchphrase, "Because Jesus saves"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

Ah, the Vatican Bank.  I love their catchphrase, "Because Jesus saves"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, they're in vestments and investments. Cheesy
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »

Well, I remember a year or two ago the vatican took out most of the prayers and ceremonies for elevating cardinals. there was also a unique ceremony which was abandoned

I thought it was very sad, to take out so many prayers. It is almost as if prayers are seen as useless

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »

The funny part is, the RCC already has the structures in place. They have primates in most countries, and the same with bishops conferences effectively serving as synods.

They just need to restore power to them, the groundwork is there.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »

The funny part is, the RCC already has the structures in place. They have primates in most countries, and the same with bishops conferences effectively serving as synods.

Quite true and why the tea leaf watchers in the East are following Pope Francis with interest. From his opening comments on the loggia , to being seated at the same height as other bishops to the creation of what appears to be a super-synod of cardinals, he is interesting. However, actions speak louder than words or symbolic acts. We shall see.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »

This is where the reforms are needed.  One wonders how much of what these cardinals know actually gets passed on to the Pope. 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »

Well, I remember a year or two ago the vatican took out most of the prayers and ceremonies for elevating cardinals. there was also a unique ceremony which was abandoned

I thought it was very sad, to take out so many prayers. It is almost as if prayers are seen as useless

Its really starting to seem like a lot of people that claim to believe in God really do think that... People always want shorter services, less obligations, etc etc. So they can do what, go watch football or watch tv more. They turn away from the greatest thing they can do with their life for things that are meaningless, pointless and a waste of their life.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »

It's debatable how well that would go over. Don't forget the reactions when the Vatican published the 2006 Annuario Pontificio -- the first time since 1863 that it didn't contain the title "Patriarch of the West".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »

Its really starting to seem like a lot of people that claim to believe in God really do think that... People always want shorter services, less obligations, etc etc. So they can do what, go watch football or watch tv more. They turn away from the greatest thing they can do with their life for things that are meaningless, pointless and a waste of their life.

As I recall, a lot of what was reformed or "taken out" of the service for elevating new Cardinals was really only added since the Second Vatican Council.  It wasn't some immemorial rite that got changed, like many other liturgical changes since VII, but was itself changed within living memory and brought back to something more closely resembling what it was like before the Council...still not what it used to be, but closer.   

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

As I recall, a lot of what was reformed or "taken out" of the service for elevating new Cardinals was really only added since the Second Vatican Council.  It wasn't some immemorial rite that got changed, like many other liturgical changes since VII, but was itself changed within living memory and brought back to something more closely resembling what it was like before the Council...still not what it used to be, but closer.    

a b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:42:33 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

The changes were made to emphasize that the cardinalate is an office not a sacrament.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »

a b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z.

A, E, A, E, I, O, U, U, and sometimes Y...?

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »

His Holiness' recent comments about the "gay [homosexual] lobby" within the curia, may be part of the needed reforms that hierarchs were referring to in the media during the most recent conclave and the related activities immediately thereafter.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: