OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An abundance of solar magnetic filaments may lead to possible Hyder flares  (Read 136 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

Today, the solar surface has an abundance of magnetic filaments, which may develop into bright Hyder flares.

The sight of these solar magnetic filaments reminded me of those long meal worms we raised in one of my biology classes. Creepy crawlers.

The longest one, in the sun's southern hemisphere stretches, more than 400,000 km from end to end. "It's one of the longest filamentary structures I have ever seen," says veteran observer Bob Runyan of Shelton, Nebraska.

If any of the filaments collapses, it could hit the stellar surface and explode, producing a Hyder flare. Filaments can also become unstable and erupt outward, hurling pieces of themselves into space. Either way, astronomers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

For more information, please visit: www.spaceweather.com

Most flares occur around active regions associated with sunspot groups. However, occasionally a flare (sudden brightening) is observed well away from an active region or sunspot group. These flares are invariably associated with the sudden disappearance of a large (thick, long, 'bushy') dark solar filament, and are termed Hyder flares. ...
The bottom line is that at this stage in solar physics we do not really know what produces a flare nor what produces a CME.

For more information, please visit: http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/2/4/1
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:48:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

Hey, my dad was a astrophysicist so he was always talking about our wonderful universe including Hyder flares, CMEs, and super novas.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: