OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:18:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Orthodox marriage  (Read 479 times) Average Rating: 0
adampjr
Karamazov

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »

Hey,

I was wondering if this is something that happens:
If married people convert to the Orthodox Church, do they often (or ever) undergo matrimony again but this time within the Church?
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »

It epends on your jurisdiction whether they require an Orthodox "Re-marriage"---Antiochian "No", Greek "yes within 1 year of conversion" and ROCOR "Yes". The Antiochians do not require it but encourage it, they also have a blessing service that can be used instead of the crowning that is horter than a full crowning. Quotes above are from various priests I have spoken with about the matter. I do not have an OCA response yet.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »

Our parish just had a two families chrismated.  The first I did not see any "marriage", the second had a super short ceremony immediately after Liturgy.  It was probably about 5 minutes long.  Fastest "wedding" ever.  Cheesy

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »

If married people convert to the Orthodox Church, do they often (or ever) undergo matrimony again but this time within the Church?

Nowadays, yes -- sometimes. Historically, no. There is a lot of variety within jurisdictions even, so it really depends on your local bishop and priest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:09:17 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

Just my own experience and observation, but the OCA will perform and encourages a brief marriage blessing. Ours was after Liturgy one Sunday. The Greeks apparently do the whole thing: paperwork, ceremony and often a reception.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »

It epends on your jurisdiction whether they require an Orthodox "Re-marriage"---Antiochian "No", Greek "yes within 1 year of conversion" and ROCOR "Yes". The Antiochians do not require it but encourage it, they also have a blessing service that can be used instead of the crowning that is horter than a full crowning. Quotes above are from various priests I have spoken with about the matter. I do not have an OCA response yet.

Thomas

Finnish: AFAIK yes.

Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

Would this 'blessing' be similar to what the Roman Catholics call 'validation'. If so, do you consider marriages performed outside the orthodox church 'invalid' as do the Roman Catholics?

Edited to add, what if only one spouse ends up converting to orthodoxy, what about the marriage then? What is the status of the convert then?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:44:55 PM by Martyr Eugenia » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »

Would this 'blessing' be similar to what the Roman Catholics call 'validation'. If so, do you consider marriages performed outside the orthodox church 'invalid' as do the Roman Catholics?
No, it's a blessing. There's nothing mentioned about being invalid. I would imagine that the blessing (similar to chrismation) supplies whatever was lacking in the non-Orthodox marriage.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

My wife and I were baptized into ROCOR.  We were asked prior to the baptism if were wanted to remain married.  So, we were "blessed" or married or whatever after baptism.  My wife was also "Churched" since she had never had this ceremony performed prior.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: