OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:31:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You Microsoft  (Read 2378 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: March 14, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

I just want to thank Microsoft for forcing me to update my computer, slightly changing the visual presentation of the internet whether I wanted it or not, logging me out of all the sites I visit (multiple times in some cases), making my computer freeze on me/crashing my computer (thereby forcing a hard boot), and just generally being an annoyance. Your track record shows a consistency that few companies could dream of matching!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

Microsoft is just showing that they can be just as annoying as Adobe and Apple Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

Thanks for moving this. I really wanted some technical help.

Wait, wat?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

Microsoft, proof that you don't need a good product to make lots of money.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

No that's SimCity 2013. police

Edited to specify which version.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:30:24 PM by sheenj » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.

Nah. I'd take BASIC trained baboons over the MS dev team any day of the week.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »

No that's SimCity. police

Hey, SimCity 4 and its predecessors were good.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

You mean the UI/UX team. The improvements under the hood in Windows 8 were pretty noticeable when I upgraded. It's the UI change that has everyone PO'd.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:31:20 PM by sheenj » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »

No that's SimCity. police

Hey, SimCity 4 and its predecessors were good.

Good point, I edited my post to reflect which version I was talking about.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.

You mean the UI/UX team. The improvements under the hood in windows 8 was pretty noticeable when I upgraded. It's the UI change that has everyone PO'd.
I just want to thank Microsoft for forcing me to update my computer, slightly changing the visual presentation of the internet whether I wanted it or not, logging me out of all the sites I visit (multiple times in some cases), making my computer freeze on me/crashing my computer (thereby forcing a hard boot), and just generally being an annoyance. Your track record shows a consistency that few companies could dream of matching!

If the UI is causing a need for hard reboot, there is something seriously wrong.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

You mean the UI/UX team. The improvements under the hood in windows 8 was pretty noticeable when I upgraded. It's the UI change that has everyone PO'd.

If the UI is causing a need for hard reboot, there is something seriously wrong.

I don't recall Asteriktos specifying which version of Windows he was on. Besides, we were responding to something Vamrat said.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:35:29 PM by sheenj » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.

UI? User interface?  I'm using windoze 7, btw.  Also, the original SimCity still owns all.

Also, I wish my browser would stop autocorrecting things for me.  I'm gonna have to figure out how to turn that off.

Though I will say that my browser seems to be working less sluggishly today.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »

I just want to thank Microsoft for forcing me to update my computer, slightly changing the visual presentation of the internet whether I wanted it or not

I hope that you're not using IE....

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »

I just want to thank Microsoft for forcing me to update my computer, slightly changing the visual presentation of the internet whether I wanted it or not

Meh, IE 9+ isn't too bad actually.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »

I don't recall Asteriktos specifying which version of Windows he was on. Besides, we were responding to something Vamrat said.

I must have been confused by Asteriktos' reference to "changing the visual presentation of the internet" to an OS upgrade. I haven't launched IE in forever, let alone upgrade it to 9.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »

Internet exploder is the only browser I use!

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »

I'm disappointed.

labuntur anni"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

Firefox, dawg.  Firefox.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Firefox, dawg.  Firefox.

Indeed. That's what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:12:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

Or anything generally EA.  Which is funny, I've been a long devoted fan of NBA Live, even when NBA 2K has become the undisputed king of video game basketball.  They actually came up with a decent product with NBA Live 2010, then decided to start from the ground up and introduce a groundbreaking new way to play NBA basketball video games.  They haven't released a product since.  Elite 11 was shelved, 2012 was a development year, then Live 13 also did not make it to store shelves.  It boggles my mind how they actually came up with a good product that they can build on, and then shelve it completely in favor of some concept that they cannot implement.

The difference here of course is Microsoft has cornered the market, while EA has been knocked off its perch a long time ago.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Or anything generally EA.  Which is funny, I've been a long devoted fan of NBA Live, even when NBA 2K has become the undisputed king of video game basketball.  They actually came up with a decent product with NBA Live 2010, then decided to start from the ground up and introduce a groundbreaking new way to play NBA basketball video games.  They haven't released a product since.  Elite 11 was shelved, 2012 was a development year, then Live 13 also did not make it to store shelves.  It boggles my mind how they actually came up with a good product that they can build on, and then shelve it completely in favor of some concept that they cannot implement.

The difference here of course is Microsoft has cornered the market, while EA has been knocked off its perch a long time ago.

the NHL series is pretty good, but in most other sports, why change anything if you dont have competition *coughMadden*

SCREW BON JOVI!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

Windows sucks.

Period.

Always has. Always will.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »

the NHL series is pretty good, but in most other sports, why change anything if you dont have competition *coughMadden*

Because its made by Canadians  Cheesy

But EA seems to have been very successful at killing off every beloved franchise IP they acquire.  And usually its not by shelving the franchise, but by coming up with a new game.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »

But EA seems to have been very successful at killing off every beloved franchise IP they acquire.  And usually its not by shelving the franchise, but by coming up with a new game.

*starts praying: please don't kill dragon age, please don't kill dragon age, please don't kill dragon age... *

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »

*starts praying: please don't kill dragon age, please don't kill dragon age, please don't kill dragon age... *

+1
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »

^Massive contributor to Planned Parenthood.  His dad was the president of Planned Parenthood for some time.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

^Massive contributor to Planned Parenthood.  His dad was the president of Planned Parenthood for some time.
Would society have been better off his dad had contributed more in another way...?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 04:25:35 AM »

Would society have been better off his dad had contributed more in another way...?

Dunno.... But he wouldn't have the blood of murdered children on his hands.  His son made an OS that without doubt changed computers, but even his son contributes to Planned Parenthood now.... Can't wait for linux to fully take the market.  It is definitely growing.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

I just want to thank Microsoft again for all the fine work they do. In this particular post I want to give a shot out to the excellent Internet Explorer. I love how it's 2013, but they have still kept a certain quaint feature with IE, where I will close one browser and it will refresh and just generally screw up every other browser I have open.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »

Oxymoron
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in creation science, Apple tech support, adult male, or
Microsoft Works.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:06:19 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »

Cheesy I started out with DOS, and am not that my skills have progressed much beyond that. Still Apple seems to have met my undemanding needs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:08:08 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Why are you using IE?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »

IE would not work for me with a certain website (a Google-owned website...  Huh ), so I had to use Chrome. Maybe I still have other browsers on here, I don't recall, but that's the first one I saw. I was quickly reminded of some of the reasons I abandoned them and went back to IE.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »

It's personal preference.

I prefer Chrome. Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

Netscape Navigator FTW.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Mamizous
What the heck is a Mamizou?

Woaw.

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »

I always found the general order of preference for me out of the 'main' browsers was Chome > IE > Firefox.
Firefox is just so... clunky.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »

Netscape Navigator FTW.

PP

Please see Pic of the Day thread  Wink

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »

LOL love it Smiley

Gregory the Great

Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »

Now in the same boat. My windows XP Pro corrupted, can't use File Explorer properly. Tried to restore Backup Image to drive but this doesn't boot up past login. At least all my data stored on separate drive, and backed up to external drive.

Now just ordered Windows 8.1 from Amazon.
I hate Microsoft.
I hate Bill Gates.

What's the difference between MS Windows and a Trabant?
Answer: A Trabant doesn't need as many restarts!

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »

^ Is your computer modern enough to run Windows 8.1?

If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driv

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »

Microsoft is just showing that they can be just as annoying as Adobe and Apple Smiley

How is Apple annoying? I mean, outside of branding and prices of it's products. I've never had any Apple products but the ones that I've used have worked rather nicely. A lot more so than various Windows products.

Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »

Lord have mercy xD

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »

^ Is your computer modern enough to run Windows 8.1?

If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driv

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

Good point - I didn't actually check this.
The PC is  Dual Core Pentium, 4 GB ram, 250 GB Hard Disk, Direct X 9 compatible Graphics Card - I self-built it a few years ago - I am hoping it will be ok.

What's the difference between Windows 8.1 and Edward Snowden?
Answer: One works for the NSA, and the other used to!

What's the difference between Granny's Quilt and Microsoft Windows?
Answer: Granny's Quilt has less patches!

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: