OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:18:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conclave and a New Pope  (Read 12562 times) Average Rating: 0
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #405 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

I was just thinking that all the popes in the 21st century are 20th century men, of course. I wonder how the popes in the end of the century, who will be the kids around us today, will make their announcements.

@urbietorbi Habms #Papum ! Li Yang now #Pope YOLO! LOL kidding... Francis IV really.

and all the kids with neuroimplants connected to the EtherealNet will roll their eyes on how old-fashioned and traditionalist that is.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »

LOL.  They elected a Jesuit.
Yeah I got a laugh out of that as well. Maybe that's what the Curia needs.

When I pointed this out, my wife told me to shut up because I wasn't RC anymore and was not allowed to go on one of my patented rants.  I've long been no fan of the Jesuits (even as an RC) and the mere mention of them tends to get me going.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #407 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

Lord Almighty - reading a particular forum one would think that the Anti-Christ has taken over the Papacy and we are soon to be getting wummin priests, dancing masses, no fancy tat and persecution of all faithful priests celebrating the traditional mass.

Also he apparently destroyed the Argentinian Church.

THE WORLD IS DOOMED!  DOOMED I SAY!

Fisheaters?
You have to understand that we are all just a little frustrated. I mean, proper liturgy should not depend on if we happen to have the right Pope in Rome.

How about going out there and actually doing something?  I mean, there are problems with Liturgy with the Orthodox as well, but we don't complain about it as much as traddies would.  And to think the Orthodox outnumber the traddies.

While it's nice to think that we have only as many problems with our liturgy as the Orthodox do, sadly it isn't true.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #408 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »

When I pointed this out, my wife told me to shut up because I wasn't RC anymore and was not allowed to go on one of my patented rants.  I've long been no fan of the Jesuits (even as an RC) and the mere mention of them tends to get me going.

I've got to admit that as gracious as people have been here about our (Catholic) new Pope, it does get a little irksome sometimes to read those comments from some people who, as Orthodox, think they know what the Catholic Church needs to do, how it should reform itself, etc. more so and better than the Catholic Church and its members and hierarchs do.  It's a little bit like me, officious jerk that I can be at times, telling my sister, who doesn't live with me and whom I love dearly, how to run her house and her life.  She has every right to tell me, "You know, thanks for your concern, but it's really none of your business  Wink."  (Usually though, she's a little more patient with me, and just chooses to ignore me  Grin Grin.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:03:15 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #409 on: March 14, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

Not that its happening, but would a Byzantine/Eastern Catholic Pope help or hurt the overall East/West relations?
Depends on which "sui juris" he came from, ranging from Melchite (the best) to the UGCC (worst).

Care to elaborate?
Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox have the best relations of all the Vatican caused schisms.  

I'd like to nominate this for "Oversimplification of the Month".

choy
Archon

« Reply #410 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »

While it's nice to think that we have only as many problems with our liturgy as the Orthodox do, sadly it isn't true.

Oh there are those out there.  Not every Orthodox parish is a hyperdox community like my parish.  One EC priest was telling me of the story of 10-minute funerals and such.  He said despite Latinizations, EC parishes in that area look more Orthodox than the Orthodox.  And I believe him.
choy
Archon

« Reply #411 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

I was just thinking that all the popes in the 21st century are 20th century men, of course. I wonder how the popes in the end of the century, who will be the kids around us today, will make their announcements.

@urbietorbi Habms #Papum ! Li Yang now #Pope YOLO! LOL kidding... Francis IV really.

and all the kids with neuroimplants connected to the EtherealNet will roll their eyes on how old-fashioned and traditionalist that is.

There will no longer be a conclave then.  Cardinals from wherever they are around the world will just tweet their votes to @conclave.  The white smoke and black smoke will then be just a 3D image of a smoke displaying on people's holo-projectors from wherever they are.
choy
Archon

« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

I just want to thank all of the Orthodox Christians on this forum for their kind and congratulatory words concerning our new Pope. You have all shown great grace and understanding about what a special time this is for Catholics.

I really find it funny that the Orthodox has been generally more warm and welcoming of the new Pope than some Roman Catholics.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #413 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

I just want to thank all of the Orthodox Christians on this forum for their kind and congratulatory words concerning our new Pope. You have all shown great grace and understanding about what a special time this is for Catholics.

I'll second that!  Smiley

I feel the traditions surrounding the election of the announcement of the Pope's election to be most inspiring!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #414 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

In the first picture, the hierarchs of the Antiochian Church, Don Damaskinos and Don Siluan with Archbishop Jorge, now Pope Francis.

In the second picture, the Pope taking the bus with the "boys" to his first Mass.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »

The Papal Mass just ended with the choir singing "Tu Es Petrus"

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

When I pointed this out, my wife told me to shut up because I wasn't RC anymore and was not allowed to go on one of my patented rants.  I've long been no fan of the Jesuits (even as an RC) and the mere mention of them tends to get me going.

I've got to admit that as gracious as people have been here about our (Catholic) new Pope, it does get a little irksome sometimes to read those comments from some people who, as Orthodox, think they know what the Catholic Church needs to do, how it should reform itself, etc. more so and better than the Catholic Church and its members and hierarchs do.  It's a little bit like me, officious jerk that I can be at times, telling my sister, who doesn't live with me and whom I love dearly, how to run her house and her life.  She has every right to tell me, "You know, thanks for your concern, but it's really none of your business  Wink."  (Usually though, she's a little more patient with me, and just chooses to ignore me  Grin Grin.)
Yes, but as I posted above, the Jesuits have a nasty habit of moving in telling us our business.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #417 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

Maybe this is just me being a Roman Catholic, but I am starting to become impressed by what a humble and holy man Pope Francis appears to be.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

Lord spare us.

From what?  Its not our communion.  I just want my old friends in the UGCC to be happy.
unfortunately the UGCC springs from that strain of Ukrainianism (Українство) which will never be happy, unless the whole world swallows their mythology, based as much (if not more) on hate of Russia as love of Ukraine.

Because we all know that no Russians ever hate Ukraine.

[/sarcasm]
Sure. Lots.  And if the Ukrainian chauvinists want to take on the Russian chauvinists, they are free to do so.  It would be a shame if Ukraine got crushed in the process, as the Russian chavinists have shown that they are ready, willing, and able to play for keeps.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

I really find it funny that the Orthodox has been generally more warm and welcoming of the new Pope than some Roman Catholics.
Initially, some of us traddies may have overreacted a bit.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »

The fact that the Vatican needs to reform itself is all the more telling about its Catholicity.Grin

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »

Initially, some of us traddies may have overreacted a bit.

From what I read, he seems to be traditional in matters of morality and culture, but moderate liturgically, meaning he is more than willing to accept alternative masses as long as not parodical.

His attitude of treating hierarchical orders as a duty and a responsibility and not as a way of putting himself above laity and colleagues is a good example for all hierarchs. Of any church. Smiley

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #422 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »

I imagine the newly elected Pope, Francis I, has a relationship with His Eminence Metropolitan Tarasios of Buenos Aries, the Holy Metropolis of South America, a see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople----Metropolitan Tarasios is a former Deacon to Patriarch Bartholomew, and an American from the State of Texas.  I'll guess he will be part of the Eastern Orthodox delegation to the enthronement of Pope Francis I.

Remembering how important it is here that we refer to clergy with their proper title, etc. I'd just like to note that the new Pope is Pope FRANCIS.  He is not Francis I, although he is, to date the first Pope with the name of Francis.  In order for him to be Francis I, there must first be a Francis II--and there isn't yet.  So...Pope Francis...........please  Wink.  (Apologies if this has already been stated previously on this thread, but if it has it obviously bears repeating  Grin.)

The adding of "I" at the end of his name is driving me crazy, too.

The use of the "I" must be up to the pope himself to decide.  Cardinal Luciani did use it when he became John Paul I.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

I imagine the newly elected Pope, Francis I, has a relationship with His Eminence Metropolitan Tarasios of Buenos Aries, the Holy Metropolis of South America, a see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople----Metropolitan Tarasios is a former Deacon to Patriarch Bartholomew, and an American from the State of Texas.  I'll guess he will be part of the Eastern Orthodox delegation to the enthronement of Pope Francis I.

Remembering how important it is here that we refer to clergy with their proper title, etc. I'd just like to note that the new Pope is Pope FRANCIS.  He is not Francis I, although he is, to date the first Pope with the name of Francis.  In order for him to be Francis I, there must first be a Francis II--and there isn't yet.  So...Pope Francis...........please  Wink.  (Apologies if this has already been stated previously on this thread, but if it has it obviously bears repeating  Grin.)

The adding of "I" at the end of his name is driving me crazy, too.

The use of the "I" must be up to the pope himself to decide.  Cardinal Luciani did use it when he became John Paul I.

This ought to settle the matter:

From the Vatican press office (news.va):

"The choice of his name Francis, after St. Francis of Assisi, strongly recalls the saint's evangelical spirituality and radical poverty. His papal name is simply 'Francis', not 'Francis I', since he is the first pontiff to bear that name. If after him another pontiff chooses that name then he will be 'Francis I'.”
My emphases.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

His real papal name is Franciscus, btw.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:46:57 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »

And Joseph Ratzinger was Pope Benedictus XVI.  In English we call(ed) him Benedict.  In English we will call Franciscus, Francis.  Sheesh  Roll Eyes.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »

For those in Rome and Italy, for that matter, its Papa Francisco.  Francisco has a better sound than Francis or Franciscus.  In the movie "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" they called him Francisco.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:56:15 PM by Monk Vasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

And Joseph Ratzinger was Pope Benedictus XVI.  In English we call(ed) him Benedict.  In English we will call Franciscus, Francis.  Sheesh  Roll Eyes.

I was just playing with you. No need to get all upset. Sheesh  Roll Eyes

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #428 on: March 14, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

For those in Rome and Italy, for that matter, its Papa Francisco.  Francisco has a better sound than Francis or Franciscus.  In the movie "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" they called him Francisco.

Francesco.  Tongue
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #429 on: March 14, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

The fact that the Vatican needs to reform itself is all the more telling about its Catholicity.Grin

Look to repairing your own house (if indeed you are Orthodox) before commenting on any repairs mine needs.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »

Hey guys, I know we're talking very colloquially about the Pope here, but we still need to be respectful of his office & who he is, even if only because it's just plain ole' polite.  

Please refer to His Holiness with all the proper titles.  (p.s. we've had an issue with this in multiple threads recently, so please consider this a warning to all)

police
police
police
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:35:57 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

And Joseph Ratzinger was Pope Benedictus XVI.  In English we call(ed) him Benedict.  In English we will call Franciscus, Francis.  Sheesh  Roll Eyes.

I was just playing with you. No need to get all upset. Sheesh  Roll Eyes

Okay.  Sheesh  Roll Eyes
 Grin

There are some people whose mission in life on this board seems to be to take any and every shot (cheap or otherwise) they can at the Catholic Church, at any and every opportunity.  It's boorish and tiresome.  Sometimes, especially when people make jokes without using emoticons, it's difficult to tell whether they're "playing" or are dead serious.  My apologies to you if I over-reacted.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:37:24 PM by J Michael » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »

It's OK  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »

Catholics should become more ecumenical and peace-making like the Orthodox!  Grin

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »

Catholics should become more ecumenical and peace-making like the Orthodox!  Grin

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

Francesco.  Tongue

That's true. Francisco is Spanish.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
choy
Archon

« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm still wondering why they want to stay Roman Catholics.  When they call me a schismatic I always remind them that at least we Orthodox are honest about what we think about the Pope.  We don't pretend to be in communion with someone we believe holds a heretical position.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »

Abraham Lincoln

I'm still wondering why they want to stay Roman Catholics.  When they call me a schismatic I always remind them that at least we Orthodox are honest about what we think about the Pope.  We don't pretend to be in communion with someone we believe holds a heretical position.

Well, I guess maybe you ought to go over to Fisheaters or Rorate-Caeli or wherever and ask them directly.  Let us know what you find out. Wink

choy
Archon

« Reply #439 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »

Abraham Lincoln

Well, I guess maybe you ought to go over to Fisheaters or Rorate-Caeli or wherever and ask them directly.  Let us know what you find out. Wink

Nah, it's about time to move on and get this behind me.  I wasn't really thinking about them much until the rabbid traddies on my facebook started posting their thoughts on the new Pope of Rome.  I've unfriended them, thinking Lent is coming and I don't need to be provoked that way.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »

Abraham Lincoln

Nah, it's about time to move on and get this behind me. 

Praise be to God!

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

Maybe this is just me being a Roman Catholic, but I am starting to become impressed by what a humble and holy man Pope Francis appears to be.
Like Pat. Pavle of blessed memory (and obvious glorification).

Btw, Rush Limbaugh had a nice stretch on your Pope Francis.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #442 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »

Francesco.  Tongue

That's true. Francisco is Spanish.
So's he.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #443 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »

There will no longer be a conclave then.  Cardinals from wherever they are around the world will just tweet their votes to @conclave.  The white smoke and black smoke will then be just a 3D image of a smoke displaying on people's holo-projectors from wherever they are.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »

Choy, I looked at fisheaters. But I don't know any SSPXers to "hang" with irl, unfortunately.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
choy
Archon

« Reply #445 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »

Choy, I looked at fisheaters. But I don't know any SSPXers to "hang" with irl, unfortunately.

Thank God for that.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #447 on: March 14, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

Thank God for that.
Choy doesn't like SSPX?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #448 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

מזל טוב

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #449 on: March 14, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »

True.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: