OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:46:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conclave and a New Pope  (Read 15720 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »

LOL.  They elected a Jesuit.
Yeah I got a laugh out of that as well. Maybe that's what the Curia needs.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »

As much as we "blame" the EP for not granting autocephally to the OCA to fix the jurisdictional mess in North America,

Would it be that simple? I was under the impression that some of the non-OCA Orthodox would feel slighted if that happened.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »

And Maduro, president of Venezuela, made a pronouncement saying that the new pope was elected because Hugo Chavez influenced Jesus in Heaven to choose a South-American. Said that with a serious, plain face, no shame at all.

"We know that our commander ascended to Heaven and is face-to-face with Christ", said Maduro in a literary fair in Caracas. "Something influenced the choice of a south-american, someone new arrived at Christ's side and told him: 'Well, it seems to us it's time for South-America".

"He (Chávez) can summon a Constituent Assembly in heaven at any time to change the Church on Earth, so that only people of Christ can govern the world", added Maduro.

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/internacional,maduro-diz-que-chavez-pode-ter-influenciado-eleicao-de-papa,1008320,0.htm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:25:58 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
choy
Archon

« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

As much as we "blame" the EP for not granting autocephally to the OCA to fix the jurisdictional mess in North America,

Would it be that simple? I was under the impression that some of the non-OCA Orthodox would feel slighted if that happened.

Why should they?  The jurisdiction of America should be under a Church in America, not one on another continent.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »

Lord spare us.

From what?  Its not our communion.  I just want my old friends in the UGCC to be happy.

It's not so simple. Granting the UGCC Patriarchal status would infuriate the Russian Orthodox and the Russian nationalists and cause turmoil within the already splintered Orthodox groups in Ukraine. Pressure to grant autocephaly or a simple declaration of autocephaly would place great pressure upon and exacerbate tensions within Orthodoxy and its national churches. Realpolitik dictates against Papal action and the likelihood of Rome abandoning realpolitik seems remote at best.

I know that Wink

As much as we "blame" the EP for not granting autocephally to the OCA to fix the jurisdictional mess in North America, why does Russia want to keep control of the Church in Ukraine?  It is a separate country now, they should just grant them autocephally.  The other Orthodox Churches there in schism will fall in line quickly if they are allowed to govern themselves.

I agree, Moscow seems to want it both ways regarding Ukraine but this is a volatile subject which can really inflame any thread quickly.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

May God grant His Holiness Pope Francis I many years!
choy
Archon

« Reply #366 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »

I agree, Moscow seems to want it both ways regarding Ukraine but this is a volatile subject which can really inflame any thread quickly.

And why should any Orthodox care about what the Roman Catholic Church does with her communion of Churches?  Do we want the Vatican to meddle with the North American jurisdictional issue?
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #367 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »

(I don't know - its basically just whatever happens alongside and parallel to the event) ...
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #368 on: March 13, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Pope Francis I to resign

Well, that was quick.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »

Good luck!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »

Pope Francis I to resign

Well, that was quick.
She's pretty.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »

Datable. What digits she use?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »

And why should any Orthodox care about what the Roman Catholic Church does with her communion of Churches?  Do we want the Vatican to meddle with the North American jurisdictional issue?

We care because the issue of  the treatment of the Eastern Catholic Churches by the Church of Rome and the very nature of their relationship with Rome, Rome hashas been more than troublesome to the Orthodox. The issues go back to the very heart of the root causes of the Great Schism, the failures of Florence, and the impacts of the various Unia - most particularly the presence of a "sui juris" eastern Church united with Rome (the UGCC) (I want to use the academic term to denote them but it can not be used here.)  within historically Orthodox territory. (Herein the successor to the Russian Empire).

It is difficult to fathom from the perspective of the modern west, but to us these issues are real and always in the front of any mutual discussions among Rome and the Orthodox.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

Lord spare us.

From what?  Its not our communion.  I just want my old friends in the UGCC to be happy.
unfortunately the UGCC springs from that strain of Ukrainianism (Українство) which will never be happy, unless the whole world swallows their mythology, based as much (if not more) on hate of Russia as love of Ukraine.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

And Maduro, president of Venezuela, made a pronouncement saying that the new pope was elected because Hugo Chavez influenced Jesus in Heaven to choose a South-American. Said that with a serious, plain face, no shame at all.
http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/internacional,maduro-diz-que-chavez-pode-ter-influenciado-eleicao-de-papa,1008320,0.htm

Maybe it was a LOOOOOOONG distance call. Cheesy

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #375 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

Wow. Mauduro is more infalliblle than the Pope.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #376 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

Pope Francis I to resign

Well, that was quick.
Haha I love The Onion.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #377 on: March 13, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »

The Pope, then Cardinal, taking public transportation for pastoral visits.

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #378 on: March 13, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »

This is too good not to post...

"Simply by taking a new name — one no pope has ever used — Bergoglio might also be sending a message that change is on the way for the church. There is a strong tradition in the church of taking names of previous popes. John Paul I, in 1978, broke with tradition when he combined the names of men who preceded him as bishop of Rome. Before that, one has to go back more than a thousand years, to Pope Lando of the early 10th century, to find a pope who took an entirely new name." http://m.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/pope-francis-his-name-reflects-his-ministry-for-the-poor/2013/03/13/4a2cc8ce-8c27-11e2-9f54-f3fdd70acad2_story.html

Really? Pope Lando? .....

choy
Archon

« Reply #379 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

This is too good not to post...

"Simply by taking a new name — one no pope has ever used — Bergoglio might also be sending a message that change is on the way for the church. There is a strong tradition in the church of taking names of previous popes. John Paul I, in 1978, broke with tradition when he combined the names of men who preceded him as bishop of Rome. Before that, one has to go back more than a thousand years, to Pope Lando of the early 10th century, to find a pope who took an entirely new name." http://m.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/pope-francis-his-name-reflects-his-ministry-for-the-poor/2013/03/13/4a2cc8ce-8c27-11e2-9f54-f3fdd70acad2_story.html

I have been advocating for Pope Lando II.  My cries went unheard  Cry
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #380 on: March 13, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

http://www.anglicanink.com/article/francis-i-friend-argentine-anglicans

Apparently not so keen on Anglicans swimming the Tiber.

Anglican Archbishop Gregory Venables:

Many are asking me what Jorge Bergoglio is really like. He is much more of a Christian, Christ centered and Spirit filled, than a mere churchman. He believes the Bible as it is written. I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as Cardinal should have done. He is consistently humble and wise, outstandingly gifted yet a common man. He is no fool and speaks out very quietly yet clearly when necessary. He called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the church needs us as Anglicans. I consider this to be an inspired appointment not because he is a close and personal friend but because of who he is In Christ. Pray for him.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #381 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:11 PM »

Sure, he was the Archbishop of Bespin in Anoat before election.  He was infamous for his promotion of scoundrels and scruffy looking nerf-herders to the cardinalate. Cheesy

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #382 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »

Mass under Pope Francis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3RJK0yULkCY#!

I guess I won't be tempted into going back anytime soon...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:06:44 AM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #383 on: March 14, 2013, 01:15:17 AM »

Mass under Pope Francis:

LOL.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #384 on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »

Mass under Pope Francis:

Ah, I see you've been hanging out around the SSPX circles.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:39 AM »

Mass under Pope Francis:

Misa de Ninos... children's mass?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #386 on: March 14, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »

Congratulations to my Catholic brothers and sisters on the election of their new Pope. This is a joyous day for Catholics and a proud day for Latin America. My prayers are with Pope Francis and the Catholic Church. St. Fancis of Assissi is one of my spiritual heroes! So I rejoice to see that this new Pope is committed to following the example of St. Francis, prioritizing the poor and urging us to seek God with humility, love, and compassion for all people. As an Orthodox Christian, I certainly recognize that there are some serious doctrinal differences between Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Protestantism. But I truly believe that where Christ is preeminent, where the gospel is preached, and where the Nicene Creed is professed, there is indeed a Christian brotherhood – even though that brotherhood is imperfect and yet fully realized. But as I observe the joy and optimism of my Catholic brethren today, I rejoice with them and share their hope that Pope Francis will be a force for good and a stalwart defender of those ancient Christian values upon which true compassion, authentic justice, and real humanity are predicated.

May God grant Pope Francis many years!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
choy
Archon

« Reply #387 on: March 14, 2013, 02:01:53 AM »

The funniest takeaway I have for this day is that the reaction of the rabid ultra-traditionalist Roman Catholic crowd makes Isa look like a papist  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Seriously, they call themselves Roman Catholics and talk that way?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #388 on: March 14, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »

The funniest takeaway I have for this day is that the reaction of the rabid ultra-traditionalist Roman Catholic crowd makes Isa look like a papist  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Can you please link to these reactions?

The YouTube comments are disgusting as usual

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #389 on: March 14, 2013, 02:09:11 AM »

Can you please link to these reactions?

The YouTube comments are disgusting as usual

Here's the premiere traddie blog: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #390 on: March 14, 2013, 02:14:56 AM »

That doesn't sound like Peter the Roman to me.

Tongue

Maybe because his name isn't Peter and he's not from Rome?

He's about as un-Peter* and un-Roman as you can get while still being a Catholic.

*=And by that I mean his names are George and Francis, and he was from an order started by a guy named Ignatius.

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Maybe that reference to some St Malaky (or Malarky?) prophesy about the last pope to be called Peter the Roman?

Your guess is as good as mine.  

Sorry for the late response, but that's exactly what I meant. I was making a joke about the prophecy of Malaky (which I believe to be bunk). I didn't realize my joke would flop like this. My apologies.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:18:39 AM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »

I imagine the newly elected Pope, Francis I, has a relationship with His Eminence Metropolitan Tarasios of Buenos Aries, the Holy Metropolis of South America, a see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople----Metropolitan Tarasios is a former Deacon to Patriarch Bartholomew, and an American from the State of Texas.  I'll guess he will be part of the Eastern Orthodox delegation to the enthronement of Pope Francis I.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #392 on: March 14, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »

Does anybody know anything about Pope Francis´relationship with the military junta? I don't entirely trust the newspapers.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #393 on: March 14, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »

I imagine the newly elected Pope, Francis I, has a relationship with His Eminence Metropolitan Tarasios of Buenos Aries, the Holy Metropolis of South America, a see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople-

I know he has good relations with Russians - Bishop John and Metropolitan Plato.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #394 on: March 14, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »

Hum, that's important to know; His Holiness is close friends with the Ukrainian Catholic Patriarch too--I wonder how these two relationships affect his attitude toward the Orthodox Church.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #395 on: March 14, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »

"We know that our commander ascended to Heaven and is face-to-face with Christ", said Maduro in a literary fair in Caracas. "Something influenced the choice of a south-american, someone new arrived at Christ's side and told him: 'Well, it seems to us it's time for South-America".

"He (Chávez) can summon a Constituent Assembly in heaven at any time to change the Church on Earth, so that only people of Christ can govern the world", added Maduro.

I wonder what the late Hugo's Iranian pals think about that comment?  Lol!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #396 on: March 14, 2013, 08:15:47 AM »

Sure, he was the Archbishop of Bespin in Anoat before election.  He was infamous for his promotion of scoundrels and scruffy looking nerf-herders to the cardinalate. Cheesy

In the end a good guy though!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #397 on: March 14, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »

Lord spare us.

unfortunately the UGCC springs from that strain of Ukrainianism (Українство) which will never be happy, unless the whole world swallows their mythology, based as much (if not more) on hate of Russia as love of Ukraine.

Because we all know that no Russians ever hate Ukraine.

[/sarcasm]

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #398 on: March 14, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »

Now Choy, you know someone doesn't have to have an Italian accent to be a Roman Catholic. :wag finger:

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #399 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »

Does anybody know anything about Pope Francis´relationship with the military junta? I don't entirely trust the newspapers.

There have been many accusations.  There has been no actual proof offered that I know of. Note, it's not that "proof" has been discredited.  There's just been nothing offered more than, "Well, he could have been complicit."

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #400 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

We are taking care of an eight year old girl this week while her parents are out of town. At breakfast this morning I asked her:

"What do you think of the new Pope?"

Silence...silence...silence

"What's a Pope?"

"Oh he is in charge of the Roman Catholic Church, the one your grandparents belong to"

"Why is there a new one?"

"The Pope before him retired, he was getting too old"

"I see. Maybe he wanted to do something else with his life"

Silence...silence....silence

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:04:52 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #401 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

I imagine the newly elected Pope, Francis I, has a relationship with His Eminence Metropolitan Tarasios of Buenos Aries, the Holy Metropolis of South America, a see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople----Metropolitan Tarasios is a former Deacon to Patriarch Bartholomew, and an American from the State of Texas.  I'll guess he will be part of the Eastern Orthodox delegation to the enthronement of Pope Francis I.

Remembering how important it is here that we refer to clergy with their proper title, etc. I'd just like to note that the new Pope is Pope FRANCIS.  He is not Francis I, although he is, to date the first Pope with the name of Francis.  In order for him to be Francis I, there must first be a Francis II--and there isn't yet.  So...Pope Francis...........please  Wink.  (Apologies if this has already been stated previously on this thread, but if it has it obviously bears repeating  Grin.)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #402 on: March 14, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

Remembering how important it is here that we refer to clergy with their proper title, etc. I'd just like to note that the new Pope is Pope FRANCIS.  He is not Francis I, although he is, to date the first Pope with the name of Francis.  In order for him to be Francis I, there must first be a Francis II--and there isn't yet.  So...Pope Francis...........please  Wink.  (Apologies if this has already been stated previously on this thread, but if it has it obviously bears repeating  Grin.)

The adding of "I" at the end of his name is driving me crazy, too.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #403 on: March 14, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »

I just want to thank all of the Orthodox Christians on this forum for their kind and congratulatory words concerning our new Pope. You have all shown great grace and understanding about what a special time this is for Catholics.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #404 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

I just want to thank all of the Orthodox Christians on this forum for their kind and congratulatory words concerning our new Pope. You have all shown great grace and understanding about what a special time this is for Catholics.

I'll second that!  Smiley

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: