OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:20:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conclave and a New Pope  (Read 13292 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.

Link.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »

Videos of his Masses look like reverent Ordinary form Masses.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »

No Orthodox Patriarch is spiritual father of 1 billion +.  If the Pope had the flock of a single nation or a few million souls I doubt there would be much fanfare.

Irrelevant. Orthodoxy isn't about being popular or mighty. It's about defending and proclaiming the truth.

Come on kids, cut it out. My point was simple. Patriarchal selection and deposition has historically been as flawed as that of the Roman popes. For example, look up Emperor Romanus I and his choice of his fourth son, 16 year old Theophylact, for the Patriarchal throne to succeed the aged once deposed and  twice enthroned Nicholas Mysticus. Poor Theophylact was castrated first so that he would not be unduly distracted from his churchly duties - something that perhaps should have been considered for Alexander Sixtus by the Curia.

This isn't a criticism of the current Patriarch, but come on, as an example, the current Patriarch of the "Third Rome" certainly projects a sense of power, fancy vestiture and media savvy as well as any Pope could hope for.

The one in Second Rome does too, if he can get the media to pay attention...

Agreed and I would argue that those attributes are a positive in today's world.
AntonI

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Of the Bulgarian variety

OC.net

« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

Lord Almighty - reading a particular forum one would think that the Anti-Christ has taken over the Papacy and we are soon to be getting wummin priests, dancing masses, no fancy tat and persecution of all faithful priests celebrating the traditional mass.

Also he apparently destroyed the Argentinian Church.

THE WORLD IS DOOMED!  DOOMED I SAY!

Some of us must be sacrificed if all are to be saved

- Ambassador Kosh Naranek
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »

Did any one else notice that in his address, His Holiness kept referring to himself as "a bishop" and "the Bishop of Rome" ?

Yes and his comment on the conclave was translated as being its mission to "appoint" a Bishop of Rome rather than "elect" a Pope. I don't read tea leaves but I pray it signals a return to more collegiality among the Bishops and less "imperium" from the Bishop of Rome. That would be welcomed by the Orthodox.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »

The new Pope Francis I showed his approval of things charismatic when he asked the people at St. Peter's to pray for him, and he bowed his head for that moment of silence. That was a first.

Note how he also bowed his head and knelt down to accept prayers from both Protestant Pentecostals and Catholic Priests alike at this Catholic and Evangelical Renewal convention of the "III Encuentro Fraterno organizado por la fundación CRECES (Comunión Renovada de Evangélicos y Católicos en el Espíritu Santo)." Scroll down to view this photo.

http://ceirberea.blogdiario.com/1154140980/

That Catholic Charismatics have met and prayed at the Vatican is not new, but this was the first Pope to ask the laity to pray for him at his first appearance immediately following his election.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

Lord Almighty - reading a particular forum one would think that the Anti-Christ has taken over the Papacy and we are soon to be getting wummin priests, dancing masses, no fancy tat and persecution of all faithful priests celebrating the traditional mass.

Fisheaters?
choy
Archon

« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »

My ultra-traddie SSPXer "friend" on FB blew his top when he found out who the new Pope is.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »

Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox have the best relations of all the Vatican caused schisms.  Many Antiochians don't look at the Melkites as different, will (unofficially) allow intercommunion (almost officially), etc.  The Melkites insist on many the same conditions we do for reunion, and would work not only for that but for the Orthodox in general, in Antioch and elsewhere, as well.

Incidentally, 0.71% of Argentina is Melkite (300000).

Granted that's not a huge percentage, but compared with the fact that only 0.01% of the USA is Melkite ...

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
AntonI

OC.net

« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »

Fisheaters?

I expect the Papal Installation ceremony to be changed with Pope Francis ("call me Francie") sitting down having a tete-a-tete with Rev Nicky Gumble and having an Alpha-Course ceremony.  Whilst lighting is striking down St Peters.  And clown mass in the background.  

Hopefully a nice public burning of a traditionalist or two.  Apparently they make good fuel.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:38:57 PM by AntonI » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »

That Catholic Charismatics have met and prayed at the Vatican is not new, but this was the first Pope to ask the laity to pray for him at his first appearance immediately following his election.

And what's wrong with that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

Did any one else notice that in his address, His Holiness kept referring to himself as "a bishop" and "the Bishop of Rome" ?

Yes and his comment on the conclave was translated as being its mission to "appoint" a Bishop of Rome rather than "elect" a Pope. I don't read tea leaves but I pray it signals a return to more collegiality among the Bishops and less "imperium" from the Bishop of Rome. That would be welcomed by the Orthodox.
I think it was deliberate, as he didn't mention the word "Pope" once.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

The new Pope Francis I showed his approval of things charismatic when he asked the people at St. Peter's to pray for him, and he bowed his head for that moment of silence. That was a first.

Note how he also bowed his head and knelt down to accept prayers from both Protestant Pentecostals and Catholic Priests alike at this Catholic and Evangelical Renewal convention of the "III Encuentro Fraterno organizado por la fundación CRECES (Comunión Renovada de Evangélicos y Católicos en el Espíritu Santo)." Scroll down to view this photo.

http://ceirberea.blogdiario.com/1154140980/

Yes, traditionalists are all perspiring heavily right now. We will have to wait and see.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

My ultra-traddie SSPXer "friend" on FB blew his top when he found out who the new Pope is.
We traddies are just a bit worried about his joint prayer meetings with protestants, and his apparent ambivalence to the TLM. That being said, God may raise him up and make the Holy Father into a saintly pope.

choy
Archon

« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »

Fisheaters?

I expect the Papal Installation ceremony to be changed with Pope Francis ("call me Francie") sitting down having a tete-a-tete with Rev Nicky Gumble and having an Alpha-Course ceremony.  Whilst lighting is striking down St Peters.  And clown mass in the background.  

Hopefully a nice public burning of a traditionalist or two.  Apparently they make good fuel.

Don't they self-ignite at the sight of things they consider "modernist"?
choy
Archon

« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »

We traddies are just a bit worried about his joint prayer meetings with protestants, and his apparent ambivalence to the TLM. That being said, God may raise him up and make the Holy Father into a saintly pope.

Oh no, this guy is beyond worried.

From what I can tell, this guy is the worst modernist to be elected pope since Vatican II..I knew a chastisement was coming, I didn't expect this.
AntonI

OC.net

« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »

And what's wrong with that?

It shows he is a *look around* L-I-B-E-R-A-L.  Bent on destroying traditional.  Ruining the See of St Peter.  Bringing himself down to the same level as the masses.

EVIL!  EVIL!  *makes sign of the cross, throws salt over shoulder and whip ones back*

Don't be silly.  That's an Orthodox schismatic heresy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:44:04 PM by AntonI » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »

Bringing himself down to the same level as the masses.

Yes, because Christ called on our bishops to be kings and emperors, rulers of all.

*INFALLIBLE SARCASM*
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »

Fisheaters?

Well, their Orthodox counterparts have been known to do so.   Wink Wink
choy
Archon

« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »

Fisheaters?

Well, their Orthodox counterparts have been known to do so.   Wink Wink

No, we just OUTRAGE!  Grin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

Machine translation from Ukrainian:

Head of the UGCC MAbp Sviatoslav Shevchuk: "The newly elected Pope Francisco and is a disciple of our priest Stephen Chmil, now buried in the Basilica of St. Sophia in Rome. Current Pope, then a student of the Salesian school every morning were all his colleagues were still asleep, served to Fr. Chmil during the Divine Liturgy. He knows our rite and even remembers our Liturgy. Last time I visited him when I was departing Argentina, upon leaving for Ukraine, and asked that he give his testimony for beatification process of Fr. Chmil, to which he readily agreed. Therefore, the Holy Father knows very well our Church, and our Liturgy and rites, and our spirituality. "

https://www.facebook.com/r.andrusyak/posts/439443279475007

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »

Wise choice of a south american.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
choy
Archon

« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:20 PM »

Head of the UGCC MAbp Sviatoslav Shevchuk: "The newly elected Pope Francisco and is a disciple of our priest Stephen Chmil, now buried in the Basilica of St. Sophia in Rome. Current Pope, then a student of the Salesian school every morning were all his colleagues were still asleep, served to Fr. Chmil during the Divine Liturgy. He knows our rite and even remembers our Liturgy. Last time I visited him when I was departing Argentina, upon leaving for Ukraine, and asked that he give his testimony for beatification process of Fr. Chmil, to which he readily agreed. Therefore, the Holy Father knows very well our Church, and our Liturgy and rites, and our spirituality. "

I hope he railroads the granting of Patriarchal status to the UGCC.
AntonI

OC.net

« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »

Well, their Orthodox counterparts have been known to do so.   

No, we just OUTRAGE! 

Well, yes.  

I am still waiting for the Divine Liturgy - Clown Style.  

Clothes prepared by RuPaul.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:52:36 PM by AntonI » Logged

AGGreen

« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »

***The pope IS the Bishop of Rome. That's his See.

tags editted - MK
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:02:22 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Orthodox Church and Bible Study Links
http://aggreen.net/orth_links/orthlink.html
choy
Archon

« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »

No, we just OUTRAGE! 

Well, yes.  

That will never happen.  The Yaiyas and the Babas will see to that.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #341 on: March 13, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

***The pope IS the Bishop of Rome. That's his See.

tags editted - MK

I think we both know that - I was commenting on what seemed to be his emphasis on the See of Rome rather than the institutional papacy.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:02:49 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:14 PM »

Fisheaters?
You have to understand that we are all just a little frustrated. I mean, proper liturgy should not depend on if we happen to have the right Pope in Rome.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:14 PM »

Oh no, this guy is beyond worried.

From what I can tell, this guy is the worst modernist to be elected pope since Vatican II..I knew a chastisement was coming, I didn't expect this.
Haha. Fair enough. I see what you mean. Though I have my concerns as well.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:14 PM »

Ok, now I see the crazies. There is some rad-trad saying that he wants to see the "apostates bleed to death" when Rome is restored. Clearly this guy is a crazy person.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

That's probably some what of a good thing. The Church does not have to be as centralized as it is in order to remain faithful our beliefs about the Papacy.

AntonI

OC.net

« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »

Oh dear Lord no.  

That's a part-time job.  Every other Thursday except the third week of the month when he goes to play bingo.  Mrs Goggins runs it the rest of the time, in between running the Post Office.

*taps nose* Supreme Pontiff.  That's where the moolah is, you mark my words.  Also, INQUISITION!  We all love the INQUISITION!

http://youtu.be/jbcyiFt5VEs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:01:43 PM by AntonI » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »

Fisheaters?
You have to understand that we are all just a little frustrated. I mean, proper liturgy should not depend on if we happen to have the right Pope in Rome.

How about going out there and actually doing something?  I mean, there are problems with Liturgy with the Orthodox as well, but we don't complain about it as much as traddies would.  And to think the Orthodox outnumber the traddies.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

That's probably some what of a good thing. The Church does not have to be as centralized as it is in order to remain faithful our beliefs about the Papacy.

We would argue the contrary. Rome's claims to universality and supremacy following Vatican I in particular, require intense centralization and the transfer of proper authority from regional ruling diocesan bishops to a central clearing house. We welcome the the strengthening of National Bishop Conferences, collegial decision making and consensus.
choy
Archon

« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

We would argue the contrary. Rome's claims to universality and supremacy following Vatican I in particular, require intense centralization and the transfer of proper authority from regional ruling diocesan bishops to a central clearing house. We welcome the the strengthening of National Bishop Conferences, collegial decision making and consensus.

Meh, the national episcopal conferences are part of the problem.  They replaced the national synods that used to exist.  Reinstate the Primates and the National Synods if you really want to de-centralize the Roman Church.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »

Fisheaters?

How about going out there and actually doing something?  I mean, there are problems with Liturgy with the Orthodox as well, but we don't complain about it as much as traddies would.  And to think the Orthodox outnumber the traddies.
Many traddies are doing something: writing letters to and speaking with their bishops, supporting the FSSP, attending reverent liturgies, etc.

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »

No, we just OUTRAGE! 

Well, yes.  

That will never happen.  The Yaiyas and the Babas will see to that.

Yup. We should all be grateful for these devout, no-nonsense and indomitable ladies.  Cheesy
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »

Congrats to the Roman Catholics amongst us, and those elsewhere Smiley. Hopefully he'll be a really great Pope and help the Church through this time of its history...

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »

Meh, the national episcopal conferences are part of the problem.  They replaced the national synods that used to exist.  Reinstate the Primates and the National Synods if you really want to de-centralize the Roman Church.

The journey of a thousand miles (or years) begins with a single step.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »

I hope he railroads the granting of Patriarchal status to the UGCC.
Lord spare us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »

I did. I suppose it's just out of habit and because he certainly was a bit nervous and did not have a prepared speech.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
choy
Archon

« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »

Lord spare us.

From what?  Its not our communion.  I just want my old friends in the UGCC to be happy.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »

"As expected, Pope excomunicates all Brazilians. Maradona is new Secretary of State of Vatican."
The original title was "Pele is proclaimed a heresiarch".

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »

Lord spare us.

From what?  Its not our communion.  I just want my old friends in the UGCC to be happy.

It's not so simple. Granting the UGCC Patriarchal status would infuriate the Russian Orthodox and the Russian nationalists and cause turmoil within the already splintered Orthodox groups in Ukraine. Pressure to grant autocephaly or a simple declaration of autocephaly would place great pressure upon and exacerbate tensions within Orthodoxy and its national churches. Realpolitik dictates against Papal action and the likelihood of Rome abandoning realpolitik seems remote at best.
choy
Archon

« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »

Lord spare us.

It's not so simple. Granting the UGCC Patriarchal status would infuriate the Russian Orthodox and the Russian nationalists and cause turmoil within the already splintered Orthodox groups in Ukraine. Pressure to grant autocephaly or a simple declaration of autocephaly would place great pressure upon and exacerbate tensions within Orthodoxy and its national churches. Realpolitik dictates against Papal action and the likelihood of Rome abandoning realpolitik seems remote at best.

I know that Wink

As much as we "blame" the EP for not granting autocephally to the OCA to fix the jurisdictional mess in North America, why does Russia want to keep control of the Church in Ukraine?  It is a separate country now, they should just grant them autocephally.  The other Orthodox Churches there in schism will fall in line quickly if they are allowed to govern themselves.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: