OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conclave and a New Pope  (Read 13110 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »

That doesn't sound like Peter the Roman to me.

Tongue

Maybe because his name isn't Peter and he's not from Rome?

He's about as un-Peter* and un-Roman as you can get while still being a Catholic.

*=And by that I mean his names are George and Francis, and he was from an order started by a guy named Ignatius.

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Maybe that reference to some St Malaky (or Malarky?) prophesy about the last pope to be called Peter the Roman?

Your guess is as good as mine. 

It's from the prophecy of St. Malachi which states that the last pope will be called Peter the Roman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »

I think I'm starting to like the new Pope.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »

Tongue

He's about as un-Peter* and un-Roman as you can get while still being a Catholic.

*=And by that I mean his names are George and Francis, and he was from an order started by a guy named Ignatius.

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Maybe that reference to some St Malaky (or Malarky?) prophesy about the last pope to be called Peter the Roman?

It's from the prophecy of St. Malachi which states that the last pope will be called Peter the Roman.

Thanks!  Have you studied cryptography or something?  Or am I just dense?  (No need to answer the second question  Grin Grin.)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »

Tongue

Thanks!  Have you studied cryptography or something?  Or am I just dense?  (No need to answer the second question  Grin Grin.)

It's been mentioned a number of times on here in the past week.  You're just not paying attention (and I don't blame you!) Tongue

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

I think I'm starting to like the new Pope.

I'm a sort of disappointed that they didn't re-elect Pope Benedict.

I already warned you just a few days ago to use proper titles when referring to clergy, both Roman Catholic and Orthodox. That means NOT calling the retired Pope Benedict "Ratzinger". For your continued failure to use proper clergy titles even after my very recent warning, you are receiving this formal warning to last for the next two weeks. If you think this action wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:05:34 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

Tongue

It's been mentioned a number of times on here in the past week.  You're just not paying attention (and I don't blame you!) Tongue

Yeah, that's why I made the reference to Malarky.  It's really a bunch of Malarky, but some people really believe it.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »

Tongue

Yeah, that's why I made the reference to Malarky.  It's really a bunch of Malarky, but some people really believe it.

Which is probably why I wasn't paying attention  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »

No Orthodox Patriarch is spiritual father of 1 billion +.  If the Pope had the flock of a single nation or a few million souls I doubt there would be much fanfare.

Irrelevant. Orthodoxy isn't about being popular or mighty. It's about defending and proclaiming the truth.

Come on kids, cut it out. My point was simple. Patriarchal selection and deposition has historically been as flawed as that of the Roman popes. For example, look up Emperor Romanus I and his choice of his fourth son, 16 year old Theophylact, for the Patriarchal throne to succeed the aged once deposed and  twice enthroned Nicholas Mysticus. Poor Theophylact was castrated first so that he would not be unduly distracted from his churchly duties - something that perhaps should have been considered for Alexander Sixtus by the Curia.

This isn't a criticism of the current Patriarch, but come on, as an example, the current Patriarch of the "Third Rome" certainly projects a sense of power, fancy vestiture and media savvy as well as any Pope could hope for.

The one in Second Rome does too, if he can get the media to pay attention...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »

Which is probably why I wasn't paying attention  Grin.

Probably a good idea....  Instead of focusing on such nonsense, keep your eye on the prize, keep watch and make sure your lamp doesn't go out.....  angel
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, elegido Papa y que será conocido como Francisco I, es un reconocido aficionado al fútbol y declarado seguidor del club San Lorenzo de Almagro.

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, elected Pope and already knowns as Francis I, is a reknown fan of football and confessed supporter of the San Lorenzo de Almagro team.
http://www.intereconomia.com/noticias-/punto-pelota/papa-francisco-i-hincha-san-lorenzo-almagro-20130313

And also

The report said the comments (from then Cardinal Bergoglio) came during presentation of the Aparecida Document, a statement from the bishops of Latin America.

At that time, he (Cardinal Bergoglio)  even warned those who only support abortion.

“We should commit ourselves to ‘eucharistic coherence,’ that is, we should be conscious that people cannot receive holy communion and at the same time act or speak against the commandments, in particular when abortion, euthanasia, and other serious crimes against life and family are facilitated. The responsibility applies particularly to legislators, governors and health professionals.”
http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/new-pope-active-in-blasting-abortion-gay-marriage/

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »

The Orthodox do recognize this election, right? Even though we arent in communion, don't we still recognize him officially as the Bishop of Rome?

well some might pretend to, but technically no he is not recognized...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:11:15 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

I was watching Fox News this afternoon (which interestingly enough featured both a radically right-wing Zionist commercial and a commercial calling for acceptance of homosexual marriage) and they called it an "ancient ritual." I'm not sure if that came from ignorance of the election rite's age or ignorance of what period "ancient" refers to.

Are you talking about that commercial asking for aid for the jewish familys in israel or in former soviet countries with the crying old lady?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

http://noticias.uol.com.br/internacional/ultimas-noticias/2013/03/13/novo-papa-escolhe-o-nome-francisco-1.htm

He used to wear the overcoat even when in the Vatican to hide the cardinalean robes and not impose on people. He lives as monastically as possible, waking up 4:30 to start his prayers and taking a bus to his office (remembering me of Patriarch Pavle of Serbia, of eternal memory). He moved away from the Theology of Liberation early in his life and and opposes both the liberal social-cultural agenda and the free market ideology with a focus on Christian support for the poor. He opposes kirchnerism back home.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:28:43 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »

will take the name Pope Francis..... he is a Jesuit....  The first Jesuit pope, first Latin American Pope....

Also the first non-European pope in a thousand years.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

will take the name Pope Francis..... he is a Jesuit....  The first Jesuit pope, first Latin American Pope....

CNN said he was the first since Saint Peter  Roll Eyes

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

So the first Latin American Pope huh? Not bad. Maybe next time it'll be a Mexican.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »

How old is he?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »

How old is he?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »

So the first Latin American Pope huh? Not bad. Maybe next time it'll be a Mexican.

Actually the next two should be Brazilian. We will not forget this easily. Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »

Ouch

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

The local (Brazil) RC TV said he was the first Latin....  Roll Eyes

Ouch

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »

The local (Brazil) RC TV said he was the first Latin....  Roll Eyes

LOL.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »

He is of Italian descent BTW.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

Actually the next two should be Brazilian. We will not forget this easily. Smiley

I was kind of hoping for a Brazilian, too.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »

On hindsight, maybe it's fair. We got the Olympic Games and the World Cup in a row. Now the Argentinians get a Pope. Still 2X1 for us. Smiley
(and yes, I'm just kidding, I do know it's not a competition... Smiley )

I was kind of hoping for a Brazilian, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:56:52 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »

Congratulation to all Roman Catholics! I really like (St.)* Francis of Assissi and I see it as a good sign that the new Pope of Rome chose that name. May Christ give him strength.

*no idea what's the forum policy about non-Orthodox sanctity titles, someone please enlighten me
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »

HABEMUS PAPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just had to do it.  Grin

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »

So what are the immediate challenges the new Pope faces?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

Some more info about Pope Francis I.

As Cardinal Begoglio, he had a long and friendly relation with the Russian Orthodox Church in Argentina. He was present in the Divine Liturgy celebrated by Metropolitan Platon on September 23rd, 2012. His favorite author is Dostoievsky. He is the main political opposer of Cristina Kirchner (someone will have troubles in the next years Smiley ). Argentinian leftist congresmen define him as "the worst enemy, because he is a very intelligent enemy". Also he has expressed himself in unequivocal terms for the "redistribution of wealth", "social justice", and against neoliberalism. A pope to raise the discontent of both the left and the right in some of their most cherished flags. Some pundits are already suggesting he will be for the Latin-American Left what Pope John Paul II was for Communism in Eastern Europe (God hear them!).

He has always cooked his own food, despite the fact he could have a cook for him alone. His main food is vegetables and boiled chicken. He refused to live in the Cardinelean Palace to live in a flat. We may expect his enemies to slander him with accusations of collaborating with the previous Argentinian dictatorship (these accusations are already ongoing - and welcome to our world, RCs. Smiley )
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:25:41 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »

So what are the immediate challenges the new Pope faces?

Reformation of the Curia
Scandals, both financial and sexual
RC image
Bringing back lapsed RC and those who converted to other Christian faiths and religions
Restauration of more traditional forms of the Mass
Show the RC cares about the poor and destituted without letting the RC be used by Marxists or Frankfurtians of the Liberation Theology for their own revolutionary agenda (and yes, far too many "intellectuals" and people with power in Latin-America still believe in a communist revolution, and choosing him shows the RC is aware of that)

These are the immediate ones. Later he may have time for further reconstruction of the RC, such as getting rid of Papal Infalibility and Supremacy. Smiley

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »

Interesting. The Wikipedia article on him says he was "Bishop of the Ordinariate for the Eastern Rites in Argentina" which means he is at least familiar with Catholicism's "Eastern Rite".

I asked an EC Facebook friend what that meant. His reply was that there being no"ordinary" bishop for the EC eparchy in Argentina that he oversees their parishes, vocations etc... It doesn't necessarily really mean he has or doesn't have any eastern insight.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »

Interesting. The Wikipedia article on him says he was "Bishop of the Ordinariate for the Eastern Rites in Argentina" which means he is at least familiar with Catholicism's "Eastern Rite".

I asked an EC Facebook friend what that meant. His reply was that there being no"ordinary" bishop for the EC eparchy in Argentina that he oversees their parishes, vocations etc... It doesn't necessarily really mean he has or doesn't have any eastern insight.

There was at least one (Bp. Shevchuk, does it ring a bell? Wink) however he supposedly was responsible only for the Ukrainian rite, and this one for the rest.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

He was accused of denouncing priests and monks to Videla's forces.

They keep saying that that tradition goes all the way back almost 2000 years, to the time of St. Peter. Is that really true? The smoke and all?  

AFAIR, most of the procedures are from XVIIth or XVIIIth century
Try the XIX and XXth.

The smoke, for instance, only dates from about a century ago.  The balcony blessing they just said dates only from 1939. Secular powers were first barred in 1914.  It has been in the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican only since 1878, which was also the first time non-European cardinals participated. The conclave dates only from 1274, and the college of cardinals only from 1061. WAY after St. Peter.

Still, old enough.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

CNN, as nearly always, is wrong: for one thing the first Latin bishop of Rome was St. Victor c. 188, from Africa.

When Pope Gregory X was elected in 1271, he was in Palestine, though he was a Crusader and therefore European.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Congratulation to all Roman Catholics! I really like (St.)* Francis of Assissi and I see it as a good sign that the new Pope of Rome chose that name. May Christ give him strength.

*no idea what's the forum policy about non-Orthodox sanctity titles, someone please enlighten me
on EWTN (you guys get that in Europe? It's the conservative channel of the Vatican's followers) they say it was Francis Xavier, the Jesuit who instituted the Inquisition in Asia.

Francis Xavier requested the foundation of the Goa Inquisition, but he never saw it happen; it commenced eight years after his death. On 16 May 1545, Xavier wrote to the King of Portugal to establish the Inquisition in Goa: "The second necessity for the Christians is that Your Majesty establish the Holy Inquisition in Goa because there are many who live according to the Jewish Law and according to the Mohammedan Sect, without any fear of God or shame of the World. And since there are many Hindus who are spread all over the fortresses, there is the need of the Holy Inquisition, and of many preachers. Your Majesty should provide such necessary things for your loyal and faithful subjects in the Indies."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Xavier#Proselytism_and_Goa_Inquisition

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Here's hoping and praying that he continues Pope Benedict's restoration of the liturgy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Did any one else notice that in his address, His Holiness kept referring to himself as "a bishop" and "the Bishop of Rome" ?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

As Cardinal Begoglio, he had a long and friendly relation with the Russian Orthodox Church in Argentina. He was present in the Divine Liturgy celebrated by Metropolitan Platon on September 23rd, 2012. His favorite author is Dostoievsky. He is the main political opposer of Cristina Kirchner (someone will have troubles in the next years Smiley ). Argentinian leftist congresmen define him as "the wors enemy, because he is a very intelligent enemy". Also he has expressed himself in unequivocal terms for the "redistribution of wealth", "social justice", and against neoliberalism. A pope to raise the discontent of both the left and the right in some of their most cherished flags. Some pundits are already suggesting he will be for the Latin-American Left what Pope John Paul II was for Communism in Eastern Europe (God hear them!).

He has always cooked his own food, despite the fact he could have a cook for him alone. His main food is vegetables and boiled chicken.
Great stuff! The only thing that concerns me is that I heard some ugly rumors that he suppressed the TLM in his diocese. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

These are the immediate ones. Later he may have time for further reconstruction of the RC, such as getting rid of Papal Infalibility and Supremacy. Smiley
Ha ha. Ain't gonna happen. Smiley

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Oh he does!  And he can celebrate the Byzantine Liturgy!
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/catholics/ugcc/51592/

Also, there are Eastern Catholic Eparchies in Argentina: Ukrainian, Melkite, Maronite, and Armenian.  His oversight would have been for Russian and Romanians who have a few parishes and no Eparchy.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

Here's hoping and praying that he continues Pope Benedict's restoration of the liturgy.
Seems more of like mind with Blessed John Paul II.  People are already complaining because he didn't wear the mozzetta, only wore the stole for the blessing, and broke protocol several times.  I say good for him.  I am more impressed he took the bus and cooked his own meals.  Some bishops live like princes, with a staff to match.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:38:32 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »

As Cardinal Begoglio, he had a long and friendly relation with the Russian Orthodox Church in Argentina. He was present in the Divine Liturgy celebrated by Metropolitan Platon on September 23rd, 2012. His favorite author is Dostoievsky. He is the main political opposer of Cristina Kirchner (someone will have troubles in the next years Smiley ). Argentinian leftist congresmen define him as "the wors enemy, because he is a very intelligent enemy". Also he has expressed himself in unequivocal terms for the "redistribution of wealth", "social justice", and against neoliberalism. A pope to raise the discontent of both the left and the right in some of their most cherished flags. Some pundits are already suggesting he will be for the Latin-American Left what Pope John Paul II was for Communism in Eastern Europe (God hear them!).

He has always cooked his own food, despite the fact he could have a cook for him alone. His main food is vegetables and boiled chicken.
Great stuff! The only thing that concerns me is that I heard some ugly rumors that he suppressed the TLM in his diocese. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

They are rending their robes over at rorate-caeli, so he must not have been very supportive.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

Seems more of like mind with Blessed John Paul II.
Sad If that is the case, I'll be a bit disappointed. However, I pray that the Holy Father has a blessed reign.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

They are rending their robes over at rorate-caeli, so he must not have been very supportive.
Not gonna lie. That stress me out bit. I mean, I'm not sackclothe and ashes yet, but still....

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

Not gonna lie. That stress me out bit. I mean, I'm not sackclothe and ashes yet, but still....

I would have to agree. I was rather sad when Pope Benedict resigned, and was hoping for someone who would continue his work to reform the Liturgy. To hear that he may be more in the vein of JPII disappoints me.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: