OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conclave and a New Pope  (Read 13933 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

Not that its happening, but would a Byzantine/Eastern Catholic Pope help or hurt the overall East/West relations?
Depends on which "sui juris" he came from, ranging from Melchite (the best) to the UGCC (worst).

Care to elaborate?
Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox have the best relations of all the Vatican caused schisms.  Many Antiochians don't look at the Melkites as different, will (unofficially) allow intercommunion (almost officially), etc.  The Melkites insist on many the same conditions we do for reunion, and would work not only for that but for the Orthodox in general, in Antioch and elsewhere, as well.

The UGCC has horrible relations with the canonical Orthodox Church in its jurisdiction, revels in provocative moves not only to the Orthodox but to the Vatican as well, considers the Orthodox in its homeland as interlopers-although the UGCC is the interloppers, as elsewhere, excels as second to none in sanctimony on Orthodox-Vatican relations, etc.  It's focus would be solely on finishing the work of Brest, not even of Florence.

LOL.  They elected a Jesuit.
The sound principles of Catholicism, however, were maintained and propagated by the Jesuits who, suppressed by the Holy See and exiled from the Catholic nations, found an asylum and the centre of their future revival in Russia. In 1779 Catharine II invited the Jesuits to exercise their ministry in White Russia, and in 1786 they had in Russia six colleges and 178 members. Their number increased so much that Pius VII re-established their order for Russia, where it returned to life under Father Gruber. In 1801 the society had 262 members, and 347 in 1811. The Jesuits retained a lively gratitude for the hospitality that they had received in Russia, and worked with zeal to convert it to Catholicism.
Nihil Obstat. February 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, D.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13253a.htm

Congratulations Papist on your fellow Latino.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

The Orthodox do recognize this election, right? Even though we arent in communion, don't we still recognize him officially as the Bishop of Rome?
Bishop of Rome for the Vatican.  Like the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Anglicans.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

Probably he is a place holder given his age. I was hoping for Cardinal O'Malley....he has a beard!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »

Being Catholic is so awesome.

Yes, indeed, it is!!!!! Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

Probably he is a place holder given his age. I was hoping for Cardinal O'Malley....he has a beard!

You may get your wish...just not now.  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

Not that its happening, but would a Byzantine/Eastern Catholic Pope help or hurt the overall East/West relations?
Depends on which "sui juris" he came from, ranging from Melchite (the best) to the UGCC (worst).

Care to elaborate?
Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox have the best relations of all the Vatican caused schisms.  Many Antiochians don't look at the Melkites as different, will (unofficially) allow intercommunion (almost officially), etc.  The Melkites insist on many the same conditions we do for reunion, and would work not only for that but for the Orthodox in general, in Antioch and elsewhere, as well.

The UGCC has horrible relations with the canonical Orthodox Church in its jurisdiction, revels in provocative moves not only to the Orthodox but to the Vatican as well, considers the Orthodox in its homeland as interlopers-although the UGCC is the interloppers, as elsewhere, excels as second to none in sanctimony on Orthodox-Vatican relations, etc.  It's focus would be solely on finishing the work of Brest, not even of Florence.

The sound principles of Catholicism, however, were maintained and propagated by the Jesuits who, suppressed by the Holy See and exiled from the Catholic nations, found an asylum and the centre of their future revival in Russia. In 1779 Catharine II invited the Jesuits to exercise their ministry in White Russia, and in 1786 they had in Russia six colleges and 178 members. Their number increased so much that Pius VII re-established their order for Russia, where it returned to life under Father Gruber. In 1801 the society had 262 members, and 347 in 1811. The Jesuits retained a lively gratitude for the hospitality that they had received in Russia, and worked with zeal to convert it to Catholicism.
Nihil Obstat. February 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, D.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.

Being Pope is likely transformative. We shall see if he values continuing the years of warm relations with the EP and Pope Benedict's slow, but steady building of relationships with the MP over the UGCC. I suspect the Greek Catholics of Muchachevo are concerned for their relative independence from L'vov.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »

So, this will be interesting.

Apparently Pope Francis is good friends with  Patriarch Svyatoslav of UGCC.

Now, I see why Russia might have an issue.  Wink
Your piece starts:
The Union of Brest (1596) was an answer to Christ's legacy that there will be only "One flock and and shepherd" (Jn. 10:16). This was the main reason why the Ukrainian and Belorussian bishops of the Kievan Metropolitanate decided to become united with the Apostolic See of Rome...
and ends
Today the modern Moscow hierarchs, just as their predecessors in czarist Russia, officially proclaim that "in Soviet Union the Ukrainian Uniate Church does not and cannot exist!" The fear of the Church union in Russian circles is still great even to this day. This only demonstrates that the union with Rome must be and in fact is of great importance to the promotion of the Ukrainian cause. And the recent developments in Western Ukraine eloquently support this proposition*.
* Editor's Note: The Greek Catholic Church in Ukraine regained its freedom after the fall of Comunism and the subsequent independence of Ukraine, in 1990-1991.
The only link between starting with ultramontanist theology and ending with Ukrainian nationalism is the propoganda of the UGCC. Reminds me of a Ukrainian who recounted being told in US school (public, IIRC) by her teacher (UGCC member) "No, there are no Orthodox in Ukraine. The Russians were Orthodox but they are all atheist now (this was pre1989), the Ukrainians are all catholic."  If the bishops who signed Brest did so because of some epiphany they had about the supreme pontif in the Vatican, the opening sentence might have something to it.  Alas, even reading between the lines in the article one sees such was not the case: other concerns impelled their signatures (including, but not limited to, state sponsered violence and force). The meandering, tortured exegeisis employed to make Matthew 16 the basis of the "Ukrainian cause raises questions throughout on accuracy.

As I first noted, the use of the name "Ukrainians/Ukraine/Ukrainian (language)" throughout (as in the opening) dates his conclusions throughout as anachronisms. And anachronism make poor history.

I could swear that story was recounted here somewhere.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

Hey look, an american pope.

SCREW BON JOVI!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »

Hey look, an american pope.

Wink

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »

A very interesting and admirable man. May the Lord grant him many years. Congratulations to all our RC brethren. Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Being Pope is likely transformative. We shall see if he values continuing the years of warm relations with the EP and Pope Benedict's slow, but steady building of relationships with the MP over the UGCC. I suspect the Greek Catholics of Muchachevo are concerned for their relative independence from L'vov.
for any particular reason now?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Yes, indeed, it is!!!!! Wink
Yes, indeed, it is!!!!  Cheesy

Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »

Do we know if he is traditional? I see some Jesuit-liberal links when reading a bit about them.

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »

I have been searching for info about the be we Pope and the Orthodox.

This from an interview with His Grace Bishop John of Caracas (ROCOR):

"What kind of relationship do you have with other Christian confessions, especially Catholics?

- I would characterize these relations as neighborly. I met the Catholic Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio. This is a very humble, kind person. (During the most recent conclave, he was one of the legitimate candidates for the papal throne.) When we began to have problems with the schismatics (the breakaway from ROCOR faction), Cardinal Bergoglio, on his own initiative, wrote a letter in our support to the government."  

http://www.synod.com/synod/engdocuments/enart_bpjohnsadiocese.html
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

Do we know if he is traditional? I see some Jesuit-liberal links when reading a bit about them.

Pundits say yes, he is.  Traditional, conservative, humble, prayerful, with a lot of administrative experience (not just bishop for his own people, but also looking after EC's, dean of seminary, Cardinal Priest before election as bishop, etc.).  Time will tell if this will translate into a "conservative" and/or "traditional" papacy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:48:12 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »

So, this will be interesting.

Apparently Pope Francis is good friends with  Patriarch Svyatoslav of UGCC.

Now, I see why Russia might have an issue.  Wink
Your piece starts:
The Union of Brest (1596) was an answer to Christ's legacy that there will be only "One flock and and shepherd" (Jn. 10:16). This was the main reason why the Ukrainian and Belorussian bishops of the Kievan Metropolitanate decided to become united with the Apostolic See of Rome...
and ends
Today the modern Moscow hierarchs, just as their predecessors in czarist Russia, officially proclaim that "in Soviet Union the Ukrainian Uniate Church does not and cannot exist!" The fear of the Church union in Russian circles is still great even to this day. This only demonstrates that the union with Rome must be and in fact is of great importance to the promotion of the Ukrainian cause. And the recent developments in Western Ukraine eloquently support this proposition*.
* Editor's Note: The Greek Catholic Church in Ukraine regained its freedom after the fall of Comunism and the subsequent independence of Ukraine, in 1990-1991.
The only link between starting with ultramontanist theology and ending with Ukrainian nationalism is the propoganda of the UGCC. Reminds me of a Ukrainian who recounted being told in US school (public, IIRC) by her teacher (UGCC member) "No, there are no Orthodox in Ukraine. The Russians were Orthodox but they are all atheist now (this was pre1989), the Ukrainians are all catholic."  If the bishops who signed Brest did so because of some epiphany they had about the supreme pontif in the Vatican, the opening sentence might have something to it.  Alas, even reading between the lines in the article one sees such was not the case: other concerns impelled their signatures (including, but not limited to, state sponsered violence and force). The meandering, tortured exegeisis employed to make Matthew 16 the basis of the "Ukrainian cause raises questions throughout on accuracy.

As I first noted, the use of the name "Ukrainians/Ukraine/Ukrainian (language)" throughout (as in the opening) dates his conclusions throughout as anachronisms. And anachronism make poor history.

I could swear that story was recounted here somewhere.

Sorry...I hadn't read the previous pages.

This may turn out to be rather interesting.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

Pundits say yes, he is.  Traditional, conservative, humble, prayerful, with a lot of administrative experience (not just bishop for his own people, but also looking after EC's, dean of seminary, Cardinal Priest before election as bishop, etc.).  Time will tell if this will translate into a "conservative" and/or "traditional" papacy.
Thank you, good to read. Congratulations!

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »

Care to elaborate?

They might fear the UGCC faction having his ear although the second in command at the Orientale Congregation is a Slovak/Rusyn eastern rite Jesuit Archbishop.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/13/174201655/a-pope-is-chosen

The world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics have a new spiritual leader.

As afternoon turned to evening in Vatican City on Wednesday, a little after 7 p.m. local time, white smoke rose from a chimney above the Sistine Chapel and bells rang through St. Peter's Square — the traditional signals that the church's cardinals have chosen a new pope.

A little more than an hour later, his identity was announced. It is 76-year-old Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina. He comes from a region of the world with 483 million Catholics — about 40 percent of all the church's faithful.

------------------------------

I thought this deserved its own thread
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:51:43 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »

I am truly happy for you. You have been a loyal Roman Catholic through thick and thin, and I respect that.

That said, I would like wish many years to HH Francis I, who seems to be very simpatico. (BTW, I never truly understood the meaning of simpatico until I realized that it was present in each of the following: nice, decent, sympathetic, likeable, pleasant, agreeable, delightful, amiable and congenial.)

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »

From the Rorate Caeli archives:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/05/habemus-something.html

This doesn't anger me at all. On the contrary, such a petty and sick gesture points to the impotence of Cardinal Bergoglio, the runner-up in the last conclave and therefore the very exemplar of failures. He was the liberals' choice. He governs one of the chief sees in the Church. As a result, there is not even one approved Traditional Latin Mass in Buenos Aires. Not even one for millions of souls...

Bergoglio, on the other hand, is old. He is 74½. Tick, tock.

And for the Koran-kissing crowd:
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2006/06/receive-what.html
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

They keep saying that that tradition goes all the way back almost 2000 years, to the time of St. Peter. Is that really true? The smoke and all?  Is their election process similar to ours?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »

They keep saying that that tradition goes all the way back almost 2000 years, to the time of St. Peter. Is that really true? The smoke and all?  Is their election process similar to ours?

The smoke is a novelty.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

Enjoy this.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

He was accused of denouncing priests and monks to Videla's forces.

They keep saying that that tradition goes all the way back almost 2000 years, to the time of St. Peter. Is that really true? The smoke and all?  

AFAIR, most of the procedures are from XVIIth or XVIIIth century

Is their election process similar to ours?

What do you mean by "ours"?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

I mean the way we (Orthodox) elect Bishops.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Deacon Lance
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

From what we know of Pope Francisco I:  He lives a simple, monastic-like life, a Jesuit, and who used public transportation in Argentina. Axios!  Multos Annos!  Muchos años!  Don't know about him and the east.
He was ordinary for Eastern Catholics without their own bishop in Argentina.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »

Each jurisdiction has different procedures. It also varies depending on the rank.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

He was accused of denouncing priests and monks to Videla's forces.

They keep saying that that tradition goes all the way back almost 2000 years, to the time of St. Peter. Is that really true? The smoke and all?  

AFAIR, most of the procedures are from XVIIth or XVIIIth century

Of which no such proof was, to my knowledge, ever offered.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Care to elaborate?

They might fear the UGCC faction having his ear although the second in command at the Orientale Congregation is a Slovak/Rusyn eastern rite Jesuit Archbishop.
You mean the Oriental rite Jesuits have a history? LOL

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »

Each jurisdiction has different procedures. It also varies depending on the rank.

Gotcha. Excuse my ignorance. Still new to the Church and wasnt aware.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »

I want to post a number of views on the new Pope. This article from National Review may be a good start.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/342896/jesuit-named-francis-michael-potemra

Here is the author's conclusion: "The story here is that he is an outsider who is the consensus choice to fix what’s wrong with the church administration, but all in a Franciscan spirit of love and humility, to wipe the face of the church so that its inner beauty can radiate."

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »

That doesn't sound like Peter the Roman to me.

Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

Interesting. The Wikipedia article on him says he was "Bishop of the Ordinariate for the Eastern Rites in Argentina" which means he is at least familiar with Catholicism's "Eastern Rite".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:25:48 PM by Eugenio » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »

Tongue

Maybe because his name isn't Peter and he's not from Rome?

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »

What if Hillary Clinton walked out on that balcony....
Then she would be la Papa. (Yes, I speak Spanish  Wink)
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »

Tongue

He's about as un-Peter* and un-Roman as you can get while still being a Catholic.

*=And by that I mean his names are George and Francis, and he was from an order started by a guy named Ignatius.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

As afternoon turned to evening in Vatican City on Wednesday, a little after 7 p.m. local time, white smoke rose from a chimney above the Sistine Chapel and bells rang through St. Peter's Square — the traditional signals that the church's cardinals have chosen a new pope.

A little more than an hour later, his identity was announced. It is 76-year-old Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina. He comes from a region of the world with 483 million Catholics — about 40 percent of all the church's faithful.

WHOOPS!!! Embarrassed
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »

Tongue

He's about as un-Peter* and un-Roman as you can get while still being a Catholic.

*=And by that I mean his names are George and Francis, and he was from an order started by a guy named Ignatius.

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

I wonder if he has ever celebrated TLM after the Summorum Pontificum?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »

WHOOPS!!! Embarrassed

laugh laugh laugh

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »

Tongue

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Maybe that reference to some st Malaky (or Malarky?) prophesy about the last pope to be called Peter the Roman?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:41:33 PM by Adela » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

Tongue

Hundreds of millions of Catholics do not have the name Peter, and are from a multitude of places other than Rome.  And yes, he's a Jesuit, many of whom are extremely "liberal" and many of whom are quite "conservative".  What, pray tell, is your point?

Maybe that reference to some St Malaky (or Malarky?) prophesy about the last pope to be called Peter the Roman?

Your guess is as good as mine. 

Taxiarches

« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »

Here is a profile on the new Pope that was written 10 days ago by John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/papabile-day-men-who-could-be-pope-13

Here are some tidbits from the above article to whet your curiosity further:

"(Cardinal) Bergoglio's reputation for personal simplicity also exercised an undeniable appeal – a Prince of the Church who chose to live in a simple apartment rather than the archbishop's palace, who gave up his chauffeured limousine in favor of taking the bus to work, and who cooked his own meals."

"(Cardinal) Bergoglio has supported the social justice ethos of Latin American Catholicism, including a robust defense of the poor.

At the same time, he has generally tended to accent growth in personal holiness over efforts for structural reform.

(Cardinal) Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality, staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children, earning a public rebuke from Argentina's President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner." (My edits IAW Forum policy)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:51:13 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: