OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do We have to Wear Clothes?  (Read 1709 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

Serious question--from a purely religious standpoint, why do we have to wear clothing? If humans prior to the fall of Adam were naked and it was good, and clothing and shame came after the Fall, why do we still have to wear them? If Christ redeemed us as the "New Adam" then doesn't it follow that the same and guilt from the first Adam has been canceled out and we could go back to being nude? I mean, sure, there are times when--given the weather and obeying civil law--we'd have to wear clothes. But what about in Church? If the Liturgy transcends reality as we know it and is where Heaven and Earth meet--in the presence of God under the new Covenant, why do we still have to wear clothing--which only signifies the shame from the first Adam? Christ is risen and is the new Adam, there's no need for clothing anymore if we've been redeemed.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

Interestingly, I recently watched a TV documentary about the Doukhobors in British Colombia in the 1950s and 60s. They believed that we should be free and open before God. That was one of the points that led to serious clashes (that according to the documentary were poorly handled by the RCMP and other authorities).

We've been redeemed, OK - but have we achieved theosis in its fullness?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

1. Weather. Christ did not stop us dying of cold or getting sunburn.

2. We are still subject to the passions and have to struggle against them. The world in which we live is still a fallen one.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »

2. We are still subject to the passions and have to struggle against them. The world in which we live is still a fallen one.

And

3. For esthetic reasons.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

And

3. For esthetic reasons.

THIS!! The sight of me in the altogether is Not A Good Thing.   Tongue  Wink laugh laugh
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:59:31 PM by LBK » Logged
valgeronk

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »

Being the practical person that I am - not wearing clothes in Estonia autumn, winter, spring and most of the summer will result in either death or severe hypothermia.  Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

Best thread's title in a while.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »

Anybody else notice James has a one-track mind?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »

Serious question--from a purely religious standpoint, why do we have to wear clothing?

Exposing one's own shortcomings is never a smart idea. angel

http://haldolongwidget.wordpress.com/2009/08/22/public-nudity/

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »

Serious question--from a purely religious standpoint, why do we have to wear clothing?

Exposing one's own shortcomings is never a smart idea. angel

http://haldolongwidget.wordpress.com/2009/08/22/public-nudity/

Thanks for posting this spectacular and welcome dose of grumpiness, Arachne.  laugh laugh laugh
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

Best thread's title in a while.

"Why Are Roman Catholics Always Trying to Jack Our Swag?" is still the frontrunner.  I laugh every time I think about it.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

If we did not wear clothes, would you really want to sit in the same chair in which some one else just sat?

Side note: At the beginning of every school year, when discussing the dress code with my students, I always make the following announcement:

"To all of the gentle men who like to "sag" their pants, and to all of the ladies who like to wear short shorts, I would like to remind you that the chairs in this classroom are never washed. Consider that before selecting your outfit every morning."

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »

If we did not wear clothes, would you really want to sit in the same chair in which some one else just sat?

Side note: At the beginning of every school year, when discussing the dress code with my students, I always make the following announcement:

"To all of the gentle men who like to "sag" their pants, and to all of the ladies who like to wear short shorts, I would like to remind you that the chairs in this classroom are never washed. Consider that before selecting your outfit every morning."

Wasn't that point made in a Seinfeld episode?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »

Serious question--from a purely religious standpoint, why do we have to wear clothing? If humans prior to the fall of Adam were naked and it was good, and clothing and shame came after the Fall, why do we still have to wear them? If Christ redeemed us as the "New Adam" then doesn't it follow that the same and guilt from the first Adam has been canceled out and we could go back to being nude? I mean, sure, there are times when--given the weather and obeying civil law--we'd have to wear clothes. But what about in Church? If the Liturgy transcends reality as we know it and is where Heaven and Earth meet--in the presence of God under the new Covenant, why do we still have to wear clothing--which only signifies the shame from the first Adam? Christ is risen and is the new Adam, there's no need for clothing anymore if we've been redeemed.

For the same reason we don't eat meat sacrificed to idols--for the same of our brethren.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »

St. Gabriel of Mtskheta said the followers of Antichrist will walk around naked.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »

Guess again, Papist! We Orthodox stand in Church! Check and mate  Cool

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »

LMBO!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

I imagine the girls would have enough "ewwwww" factor to heed this advice. The lads, I'm not so sure about.  Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:03 PM »

From middle school to high school the outfits on the girls were more revealing every year. There used to be one area in the school where a certain ethnic group hung out and you could have sworn you were at a prostitute's street corner.

The principal at the time didn't care too much and allowed us to wear hats in school.

Oh and sagging was allowed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »

You go naked in 20F weather and tell me how long you can stand it.  I can't stand it most of the time when I'm dressed like a marshmallow.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

You go naked in 20F weather and tell me how long you can stand it.  I can't stand it most of the time when I'm dressed like a marshmallow.

Indeed. You go naked in 105F weather and see how long you'll last.  Wink
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

Indeed, studies done in the military show that fully clothed soldiers could handle the heat better than men who went around bare-backed while wearing shorts.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »

I imagine the girls would have enough "ewwwww" factor to heed this advice. The lads, I'm not so sure about.  Wink

For them, then, there is caning.

choy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:30:33 PM »

Come to Canada and you'll know why.  There is still a week of winter left Wink
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »

Indeed, studies done in the military show that fully clothed soldiers could handle the heat better than men who went around bare-backed while wearing shorts.

Anyone who lives in places where it gets seriously hot can tell you the same thing. If heatstroke doesn't get you, sunburn will. To the point of blisters and burns of all three degrees. One's delicate bits would be particularly vulnerable. Shocked Shocked

And then there's the long term risk of skin cancer. Not all of them are deadly, but why tempt fate?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »

caning?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »

Okay then, try prostrating behind someone.
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »

If we did not wear clothes, it would put a lot more factory workers out of work and depress the economy even more.  Keep wearing clothes.  Smiley
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

Caning in schools was abolished in my neck of the woods about 40 years ago, so there goes that option.  Sad

God only knows how I've managed to restrain myself over the years from sneaking up behind a lad with saggy pants, and yanking them down to the ankles.  Shocked Shocked laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

If we did not have clothes, the existence of James would necessitate their creation.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »

Perish the thought and scent.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »

I imagine the girls would have enough "ewwwww" factor to heed this advice. The lads, I'm not so sure about.  Wink

Caning in schools was abolished in my neck of the woods about 40 years ago, so there goes that option.  Sad

God only knows how I've managed to restrain myself over the years from sneaking up behind a lad with saggy pants, and yanking them down to the ankles.  Shocked Shocked laugh

So, caning as in paddling or belting? Yes, those forms of corporeal punishment are rarely seen today.

Yanking pants .... logismoi confession time?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:45:11 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »

If we did not have clothes, the existence of James would necessitate their creation.

Oooo, you horrible, horrible, man, you. Shocked Shocked laugh laugh laugh laugh
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

I imagine the girls would have enough "ewwwww" factor to heed this advice. The lads, I'm not so sure about.  Wink

logismoi confession time?

No, just proving that grumpy old farts like me are capable of reining in their impulses. Though, in such cases, I often wish I hadn't.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:46:34 PM by LBK » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

Lips Sealed

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »

Oooo, you horrible, horrible, man, you. Shocked Shocked laugh laugh laugh laugh

No, the presence of us older sagging adults would necessitate clothes.
Gravity pulls everything down. Longer earlobes, longer noses, ... you get the point.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 02:42:42 AM »

According to St. Augustine's de haeresibus there were schismatic heretics in the early Church who went to church naked.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:48:22 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

So you are saying you want to walk around naked at church?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

Still trying to find where Christ made us the "New Adam", but he did redeem our sins.

But we keep sinning.  We know of sin, and innocence lost.

I think a good question is, with our sins redeemed, why do we keep sinning?
If everybody went without clothes would people be sinning in lust, judgment, etc.?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 03:15:19 AM »

Come to Canada and you'll know why.  There is still a week of winter left Wink

Which doesn't say much, as the four seasons in Canada are really called Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:19 AM »

According to St. Augustine's de haeresibus there were schismatic heretics in the early Church who went to church naked.

Bet that sect didn't last long, the yiayia (I don't know what it is in Arabic or Latin) squad would've soon sorted them out. (Babushki were still several centuries away) Roll Eyes laugh laugh

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 05:09:51 AM »

For starters, most people don't want to see you naked.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 05:34:27 AM »

So you are saying you want to walk around naked at church?

The only thing I want to see swinging in church is the censer.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »

Bet that sect didn't last long, the yiayia (I don't know what it is in Arabic or Latin) squad would've soon sorted them out. (Babushki were still several centuries away) Roll Eyes laugh laugh

The Berber is apparently 'henna'.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »

Asteriktos wins this thread.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: