OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surrogate offered $10,000 to abort baby  (Read 590 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »

Crystal Kelley ran through the calendar once again in her head.
It was August, and if she got pregnant soon, she could avoid carrying during the hot summer months -- she'd done that before and didn't want to do it again. There was no time to lose.
But there was one problem: She had no one to get her pregnant.
Kelley picked up the phone and called a familiar number. What about the nice single man who'd inquired before -- would he be interested? No, the woman told her. She hadn't heard from him in weeks.
Disappointed, Kelley asked if there was anyone else who would hire her. She'd had two miscarriages herself and wanted to help someone else with fertility problems. In return, she'd get a $22,000 fee....

Modernity proving yet it again it knows better than the tried and true principles of old fashioned morality
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/health/surrogacy-kelley-legal-battle/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »

Horrible. What more is there to say?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

Horrible both ways.

First the biological parents state they wish to play "God" and terminate the child, saving it pain and suffering.

The surrogate mom is against this, and states that nobody should play "God".....in which case what was the whole biological mom can't conceive, so let's impregnate another woman and get that child anyway.  Isn't that also playing "God" in a way?

Poor child.  Thank God that an adoptive family showed up to love and care for Baby S, for as long as she has on this earth.  Everyone should be loved.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »

Modernity proving yet it again it knows better than the tried and true principles of old fashioned morality
How are you defining modernity, Isa?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

Horrible both ways.

First the biological parents state they wish to play "God" and terminate the child, saving it pain and suffering.

The surrogate mom is against this, and states that nobody should play "God".....in which case what was the whole biological mom can't conceive, so let's impregnate another woman and get that child anyway.  Isn't that also playing "God" in a way?

Poor child.  Thank God that an adoptive family showed up to love and care for Baby S, for as long as she has on this earth.  Everyone should be loved.

Using a surrogate mom to get a child is quite natural and has been used throughout history.  Even the Bible talks about it.  Since Sarah couldn't conceive they just went with Hagar.  Albeit, they didn't do any of that new fangled invitro-whatever.

I seem to remember God getting a little ticked about that, though...

But still natural!

As for 10k to abort a baby...David arranged to have Uriah post-birth-aborted when he got inconvenient. 

Then again, I don't think God was thrilled about that either.

These people are cruisin' for a bruisin'! 
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

The fudge?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »

Horrible both ways.

Using a surrogate mom to get a child is quite natural and has been used throughout history.  Even the Bible talks about it.  Since Sarah couldn't conceive they just went with Hagar.  Albeit, they didn't do any of that new fangled invitro-whatever.

But still natural!

As for 10k to abort a baby...David arranged to have Uriah post-birth-aborted when he got inconvenient. 

Yes, but Hagar's baby wasn't deep frozen. ...and just because Abraham did it, doesn't make it right.  He was told he would be a father. He should have had faith and waited patiently.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »

I thought I saw an article recently saying they were offered $200k? Maybe I'm remembering wrongly...
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

But still natural!

Er... Hagar was not a surrogate. She was Ishmael's biological mother.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

But still natural!

Not in the modern sense, to be sure, but since Ishmael was born "on Sarah's knees", Hagar's baby was meant to be Sarah's (not Hagar's).  Unless I'm mistaken, this was the ancient version of surrogacy. 
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

Horrible both ways.

But still natural!

Yes, but Hagar's baby wasn't deep frozen. ...and just because Abraham did it, doesn't make it right.  He was told he would be a father. He should have had faith and waited patiently.

To be fair, Mother Sarah, not Father Abraham, was not the one who lost her patience.  He just repeated Adam's mistake of listening to the wife. Tongue

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

But still natural!

Yes, she was a surrogate: "And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing: I pray you, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai." Gen. 16:2.  Such surrogacy was an established practice in the Near East at the time, attested by documents outside of the Bible.  Jacob would repeat the same with both of his wives' slaves.

Of course, like all legal fictions, it crashed when it came upon reality. Notice how God's advice wasn't sought before they went with Sarai's idea.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »

I saw this on the news. 

The "pro life" mother of the child actually signed a contract saying that she had to abort if the fetus was found to be flawed, and she went against the contract she signed.  Such a "pro lifer" should never sign a contract where abortion has anything to do with an abnormal fetus.

The people bribing her to abort her child are rediculous.

This is just utterly rediculous.  The poor child.  Thank God that someone came along to care for her.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »

But still natural!

Yes, she was a surrogate: "And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing: I pray you, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai." Gen. 16:2.  Such surrogacy was an established practice in the Near East at the time, attested by documents outside of the Bible.  Jacob would repeat the same with both of his wives' slaves.

Of course, like all legal fictions, it crashed when it came upon reality. Notice how God's advice wasn't sought before they went with Sarai's idea.

That is a great point!!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »

But still natural!

In that case, one would think Sarah would keep 'her' son and kick only Hagar out when things went pear-shaped.

At least Jacob seems to have fared remarkably better in that respect.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »

But still natural!

In that case, one would think Sarah would keep 'her' son and kick only Hagar out when things went pear-shaped.

At least Jacob seems to have fared remarkably better in that respect.

Trying to second guess Scripture is pretty futile, don't you think?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »

Can't believe it took this long for this nonsensical story to make it here.

I had the over / under on it being here a week before I heard about it while walking by a TV doing trash news.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »

I saw this on the news.  

The "pro life" mother of the child actually signed a contract saying that she had to abort if the fetus was found to be flawed, and she went against the contract she signed.  Such a "pro lifer" should never sign a contract where abortion has anything to do with an abnormal fetus.

The people bribing her to abort her child are rediculous.

This is just utterly rediculous.  The poor child.  Thank God that someone came along to care for her.

She bargained with the family for more money for the abortion and when the family held out, she went all Hell Fire & Hard Copy.

Sorry folks, the kid is just a way to make a buck. This is a sad story all around. You would think some here would see that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:37:47 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »

Horrible both ways.

But still natural!

To be fair, Mother Sarah, not Father Abraham, was not the one who lost her patience.  He just repeated Adam's mistake of listening to the wife. Tongue
Is this an unintended contradiction?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: