OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:34:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarter-sized Mean Biting Machines Hatching in Florida  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: March 11, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/03/11/mosquitoes-florida-gallinippers/1978281/

With high humidity, mold, sharks, hurricanes, phythons, gators, and sink holes, Florida sounds very inhospitable.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »

Florida has been an ecological trainwreck ever since the illegal pet trade introduced Burmese pythons into the environment. Don't worry about it though; it'll all end entirely once we humans keep extending in the state and overrun the animals' natural habitats.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:22:42 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »

Florida has been an ecological trainwreck ever since the illegal pet trade introduced Burmese pythons into the environment. Don't worry about it though; it'll all end entirely once we humans keep extending in the state and overrun the animals' natural habitats.

What birds besides geese like to eat these large tasty morsels known as mosquitoes?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

What birds besides geese like to eat these large tasty morsels known as mosquitoes?

I dunno. But on the other hand, they seem to be a favorite with bullfrogs. At least my pet bullfrog loves them--then again, he'll eat anything that can fit into his mouth Smiley Do bullfrogs inhabit Florida?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »

I dunno. But on the other hand, they seem to be a favorite with bullfrogs. At least my pet bullfrog loves them--then again, he'll eat anything that can fit into his mouth Smiley Do bullfrogs inhabit Florida?

I suppose so.

When I was a biology major in college, we used to use bullfrogs for experiments. When one shipment arrived with 50 large bullfrogs, only about 36 arrived intact. Some were weird looking as there were feet sticking out of their mouths. They became hungry and began eating each other whole.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »

I suppose so.

When I was a biology major in college, we used to use bullfrogs for experiments. When one shipment arrived with 50 large bullfrogs, only about 36 arrived intact. Some were weird looking as there were feet sticking out of their mouths. They became hungry and began eating each other whole.

Everytime I think of frogs, this cute little guy immediately comes to mind  Cheesy

I stumbled upon my bullfrog purely by accident. I was fishing with my cousin at a local lake and I actually hooked a bullfrog, just as I was about to throw him back, I fell in love with him so I took him home and he now lives in my grandmother's backyard pond Smiley He eats the insects in her yard  Wink

LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »

I'm not familiar with what birdlife exists in Florida, but swallows, wrens, sparrows and robins eat the critters. So do bats, but they have their hazards as well.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »

I suppose so.

Everytime I think of frogs, this cute little guy immediately comes to mind  Cheesy

I stumbled upon my bullfrog purely by accident. I was fishing with my cousin at a local lake and I actually hooked a bullfrog, just as I was about to throw him back, I fell in love with him so I took him home and he now lives in my grandmother's backyard pond Smiley He eats the insects in her yard  Wink

Ah, you got to find him a wifey so that they can produce little tadpoles.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

Have you even been there to see these areas directly?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »

I'm not familiar with what birdlife exists in Florida, but swallows, wrens, sparrows and robins eat the critters. So do bats, but they have their hazards as well.

We have a healthy population of bats where I live.
Just before sunset, we can see them flying around.
I am entertaining the idea of building a bat house.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

I suppose so.

<snip>

Ms. Piggy is Kermit the Frog's inter-species partner..
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »

I suppose so.

<snip>

Lord have mercy. The bullfrog could end up being the pig's dinner.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »

Anathema!!!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »

Anathema!!!

Indeed, unclean too. Environmentally unsound too.
If the pig ate the frog, then who would eat those gigantic quarter-sized mosquitoes?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:54:15 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »

With Florida's prolific abortion rate, I think the pythons will be safe.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »

Anathema!!!

Have you or Maria ever heard of the Muppets?

http://www.muppetcentral.com/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »

Selam

Good to see you post. Smiley

It the pythons are safe, then the local mice and rats will be threatened.
Mice and rats are known to eat a lot of insects, including those giant mosquitoes.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »

Anathema!!!

Of course, we were just teasing you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »

Anathema!!!

Of course, we were just teasing you.

laugh OK, I thought both of you were being hyperdox.   laugh
choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 12:11:30 AM »

Anathema!!!

Of course I do.  But tell me of a Church Father that taught inter-species muppet marriage?  NONE!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »

Anathema!!!

Of course I do.  But tell me of a Church Father that taught inter-species muppet marriage?  NONE!

Was there inter-species muppet marriages in Russia during the 18th century? Is outrage!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 12:53:32 AM »

Anathema!!!

Was there inter-species muppet marriages in Russia during the 18th century? Is outrage!

Was there even MUPPET in Russia in 18th century? Is more outrage!!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »

I dunno. But on the other hand, they seem to be a favorite with bullfrogs. At least my pet bullfrog loves them--then again, he'll eat anything that can fit into his mouth Smiley
Sounds like a bullfrog. You don't want to even put two bullfrogs in the same aquarium. If there's a size difference between the two, you'll very soon have only one, with the smaller one inside the larger. Bullfrogs are known cannibals. Hell! A bullfrog will even eat a mouse or a duckling if he can catch one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:21:46 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »

I suppose so.

<snip>

I'm sorry, but I never miss a chance to post this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=peJhJMciSXE

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »

If Jim Henson were alive today, he'd have founded the most extra-ultra-wow megachurch possible. Services around 11am, with fluffy PJs as vestments and a communion of cocoa puffs. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »

I loved it. Is there a second part to it?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »

That article led me to another article about Brittney Spears going to soccer practice with no underwear on. Ahh, the miracle of the internet!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

I loved it. Is there a second part to it?

I'm affraid not.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »

I dunno. But on the other hand, they seem to be a favorite with bullfrogs. At least my pet bullfrog loves them--then again, he'll eat anything that can fit into his mouth Smiley
Sounds like a bullfrog. You don't want to even put two bullfrogs in the same aquarium. If there's a size difference between the two, you'll very soon have only one, with the smaller one inside the larger. Bullfrogs are known cannibals. Hell! A bullfrog will even eat a mouse or a duckling if he can catch one.

Yes, and science teachers know this fact. That is why they order extra and still come up short, so that students need to share a bullfrog.

They will eat a mouse or a duckling? Wow! Mice can be fast, but if one should fall into the water, they can be history rather quickly with fish and frogs biting.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »

Yes, and science teachers know this fact. That is why they order extra and still come up short, so that students need to share a bullfrog.

They will eat a mouse or a duckling? Wow! Mice can be fast,
Bullfrogs can be even faster. They stalk their prey and strike with an amazingly quick, strong jump. I've seen videos of a bullfrog jumping several feet into the air to snag a bird from a low hanging branch.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »

yes, like humans , some of the frogs put their foot in their mouth. This behavior did not save them from shipment.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/03/11/mosquitoes-florida-gallinippers/1978281/

With high humidity, mold, sharks, hurricanes, phythons, gators, and sink holes, Florida sounds very inhospitable.

It is what happens when you take a forsaken swamp and try to make a buck on it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Selam

Are you making a play on words here? I really hope so. Can you find a subject where abortion doesn't fit in? That should be a game in another thread.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »

Selam

Are you making a play on words here? I really hope so. Can you find a subject where abortion doesn't fit in? That should be a game in another thread.

You would think that the Florida state entomologists would have released a bunch of mutated sterilized males so that the female mosquitoes could not breed successfully. Or perhaps that attempt backfired.

Does not bacterial warfare used against the common mosquitoes work? Do these super-sized mosquitoes breed in water or in the water-filled leaves of the canopies in the forest swamps.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »

Can the males of this particular species BITE?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »

Selam

You would think that the Florida state entomologists would have released a bunch of mutated sterilized males so that the female mosquitoes could not breed successfully. Or perhaps that attempt backfired.

Does not bacterial warfare used against the common mosquitoes work? Do these super-sized mosquitoes breed in water or in the water-filled leaves of the canopies in the forest swamps.

First they came for the mosquitos. And I did nothing . . . 

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »

Selam

First they came for the mosquitos. And I did nothing . . . 

And then the mosquitos hitchhiked to California, and I swatted them.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:37 AM »

Bullfrogs can be even faster. They stalk their prey and strike with an amazingly quick, strong jump. I've seen videos of a bullfrog jumping several feet into the air to snag a bird from a low hanging branch.

I was wondering about this. Now it is well known that feeding lizards certain insects can be dangerous to the lizard, as certain beetle larvae can eat their way out as the lizard will often swallow their prey whole.

The frog also swallows his prey whole, so if he were to swallow a mouse or rat, then that mouse or rat could gnaw away at the frog's insides and escape leaving the frog to die a slow death. That would be the last time a certain frog would try that trick.

Birds have nasty beaks. I can only imagine the damage that beak could inflict.

Now mosquitoes are another matter. Unless this particular mosquito is blessed with a dagger for a mouthpiece, they do not have deadly appendages that could inflict a mortal wound inside the belly of a frog, lizard, fish, or bird.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:35:50 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »

I was wondering about this. Now it is well known that feeding lizards certain insects can be dangerous to the lizard, as certain beetle larvae can eat their way out as the lizard will often swallow their prey whole.

The frog also swallows his prey whole, so if he were to swallow a mouse or rat, then that mouse or rat could gnaw away at the frog's insides and escape leaving the frog to die a slow death. That would be the last time a certain frog would try that trick.

Birds have nasty beaks. I can only imagine the damage that beak could inflict.
I think you may be forgetting that a bird or mouse will likely suffocate, especially if the frog pulls it under water. The only video I've ever seen of an animal escaping the belly of a bullfrog was some kind of newt that, when swallowed whole, emits a deadly poison. The frog very quickly died, leaving the newt to crawl out of his dead captor's mouth.

Here's a short video showing that bullfrogs do indeed eat just about anything, including rodents and birds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXqK5QulbJ8

And one of the newt escaping the belly of a bullfrog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvBi5Wv8-qg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:54:37 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: