OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 11:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No olive oil or no any kind of oil?  (Read 6993 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »

So I guess I now where we're going for Lent...

http://www.thecrabpotseattle.com/pdf/Crab_Pot_Seattle_Seafeasts.pdf

My toddler son can have the sausage, he's not going to eat the seafood anyway.

Wink
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 02:46:31 AM »

As one Antiochian Priest said, if it's GMO, it is not lenten as you do not know what animal genes have been added by mad scientists to produce those GMO foods.

He is a cretin.

Mushrooms can be grown in cellars. They are also very nutritious and if added to a potato, onion, and carrot soup, this can be a very hardy and nutritious soup.

Mushrooms have almost no nutritious value. They are eaten only for taste.

Boycott processed food. Eat organic non-GMO food the way God created it.

You don't eat strawberries, do you?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

Growing up in the OCA, we would fast from all meat and dairy (including eggs) during lent.   Almost anything with oil in the ingredients we avoided, but I don't think it was a rule.  II remember my mother shelving things that contained oil on several occasions.   But that was always processed stuff.   Foods that naturally contained oil eaten in whole form (nuts, olives, corn, etc.) we ate.

We were also told by our parents that we couldn't have slumber parties with friends, so that we could keep focus on God. (we'd still see friends, just no long ordeals)   Also, they unplugged TV & Video games (Atari 2600 anybody?) to allow us more time to reflect on God.   

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »

In Westernspeak, they use abstinence for avoiding foods and fasting for not eating. This is accurate and should be employed in Orthodoxy universally. For goodness sake, we have hypertechnical theological terms, we might as well have more accurate terms for our praxis.

+1
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »

Finally going to muster up the courage to ask my Priest about these fasting guidelines today.  Ive always been too scared as I have always taken a slightly less strict stance on the items in question, such as alcohol and certain oils.  At times, id have a beer during fasts since in some traditions its allowed, and if I wasnt supposed to have it I didnt want to know!  Im actually curious to see what my Priest(s) have to say now.  Although I am still a catechumen, I have declined 2 offers to be Chrismated as I am kinda/sorta waiting on my wife to come around. Since my Priest feels I am ready to be Orthodox, I should probably try to live as Orthodox as possible, even if it means not having that brewsky with my lenten salad...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

I think we need to be less hung up on the details, lest we turn fasting into a form of legalism, and not a tool of strengthening our spirituality.

Exactly, there are some very scrupulous priests who do not even want those parishioners with serious allergies looking beyond the five major ingredients in processed foods. What are they doing telling their parishioners to eat PROCESSED foods for Lent in the first place?

Most processed foods contain GMO corn and soy. As one Antiochian Priest said, if it's GMO, it is not lenten as you do not know what animal genes have been added by mad scientists to produce those GMO foods.

While I certainly agree with you on reasons of health, it can also be difficult for some to always afford such food, and others to have time to prepare a filling meal. Many working families don't always have time to fix a nice breakfast or lunch. Processed foods aren't the best for you, but it's sometimes hard to avoid.

That said, not all processed foods are things like big pastries or fatty snacks, and so I don't think they can all be considered inappropriate for Lent. They're aren't the ideal, but sometimes the ideal is beyond reach.

Monks dig up potatoes and carrots and add some greens like broccoli to make a daily Lenten soup.
Things grown in the garden can be delicious. Mushrooms can be grown in cellars. They are also very nutritious and if added to a potato, onion, and carrot soup, this can be a very hardy and nutritious soup.
A couple of sliced olives will give that soup a sensational flavor. No need to add olive oil.

Monks have that luxury.  Those of us working in powerplants 10 - 13 hours per day, six or seven days a week do not.  We either eat what we carry or eat what they serve us (we have a cafeteria there).  Funny thing is, two priests have told me to do the best that I can, but make sure that I am alert and concentrating on my job, even if it means that I do not fast.  The third insists upon keeping the fast and says that hunger is good for you and makes you dwell on the spiritual.  Does anyone want to guess which two priests actually worked as something other than a priest during sometime of their life?

In any case, Lent used to be my favorite time of the Church year.  I have come to hate it with a passion since becoming Orthodox.  How wonderful it would be to see a thread discussing increased alms during lent and which charities could use the money most.  Or, how best to go about visiting people in the hospitals or nursing homes.  Or how we can best use the money that we are supposed to save with these "fasts" to best help those in our community that need the help.  But no, we are too busy trying to out Jew the Jews in our meaningless works that benefit nobody but ourselves (if even that, since all the discussion and "look at me, I'm fasting" posts probably eliminate anything the fasting would have done).  After all, let us remember the story of Jesus at the Last Judgment:

When I was hungry, you fed me.
When I was thirsty, you gave me drink.
When I was naked, you clothed me.
When I was sick, you comforted me.
When I was in prison, you visited me.
But I saw you eat a hamburger during the fast, SO YOU CAN GO TO HELL!

said Jesus never.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

You're right about the true purpose of fasting, which is why we read that Gospel passage on the day before Lent (or Cheesefare week at any rate) begins. I think, or at least hope, that the reason most threads about Lent are about food is not because people think that's all there is to Lent, but because these are more or less objective questions. I see 'no oil' written on my calendar and don't know if that means olive oil or any oil, so I write a quick note on oc.net rather than bother my priest about it - it might not be something I intend to follow, I might just be curious as to what is meant. The rules/guidelines of the Church are discussed, who actually eats what and when is not. Things like almsgiving, charity work, abstaining from certain activities are subjective and not necessarily things people wish to discuss on an internet forum, or even among friends. Much in the same way, I might ask if it's correct to read/sing this or that during a service, but I wouldn't ask for advice about my personal prayer rule, or my spiritual life in general.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »

I think we need to be less hung up on the details, lest we turn fasting into a form of legalism, and not a tool of strengthening our spirituality.

Exactly, there are some very scrupulous priests who do not even want those parishioners with serious allergies looking beyond the five major ingredients in processed foods. What are they doing telling their parishioners to eat PROCESSED foods for Lent in the first place?

Most processed foods contain GMO corn and soy. As one Antiochian Priest said, if it's GMO, it is not lenten as you do not know what animal genes have been added by mad scientists to produce those GMO foods.

While I certainly agree with you on reasons of health, it can also be difficult for some to always afford such food, and others to have time to prepare a filling meal. Many working families don't always have time to fix a nice breakfast or lunch. Processed foods aren't the best for you, but it's sometimes hard to avoid.

That said, not all processed foods are things like big pastries or fatty snacks, and so I don't think they can all be considered inappropriate for Lent. They're aren't the ideal, but sometimes the ideal is beyond reach.

Monks dig up potatoes and carrots and add some greens like broccoli to make a daily Lenten soup.
Things grown in the garden can be delicious. Mushrooms can be grown in cellars. They are also very nutritious and if added to a potato, onion, and carrot soup, this can be a very hardy and nutritious soup.
A couple of sliced olives will give that soup a sensational flavor. No need to add olive oil.

Monks have that luxury.  Those of us working in powerplants 10 - 13 hours per day, six or seven days a week do not.  We either eat what we carry or eat what they serve us (we have a cafeteria there).  Funny thing is, two priests have told me to do the best that I can, but make sure that I am alert and concentrating on my job, even if it means that I do not fast.  The third insists upon keeping the fast and says that hunger is good for you and makes you dwell on the spiritual.  Does anyone want to guess which two priests actually worked as something other than a priest during sometime of their life?

In any case, Lent used to be my favorite time of the Church year.  I have come to hate it with a passion since becoming Orthodox.  How wonderful it would be to see a thread discussing increased alms during lent and which charities could use the money most.  Or, how best to go about visiting people in the hospitals or nursing homes.  Or how we can best use the money that we are supposed to save with these "fasts" to best help those in our community that need the help.  But no, we are too busy trying to out Jew the Jews in our meaningless works that benefit nobody but ourselves (if even that, since all the discussion and "look at me, I'm fasting" posts probably eliminate anything the fasting would have done).  After all, let us remember the story of Jesus at the Last Judgment:

said Jesus never.

Your clarity here expresses what I was taught with a precision and depth my father, a priest - full time for 65 years - would have endorsed with his characteristic smile.

Look to your plate, not your neighbor's was his rule. Of course the abstinence rules of the Church are important but excessive legalism is one reason we left the Catholic church. (Papal version that is)

Remember this when the wonderous Paschal Homily of St. John Chrysostom is proclaimed.

(Personal note- we don't always disagree! Wink )
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

You're right about the true purpose of fasting, which is why we read that Gospel passage on the day before Lent (or Cheesefare week at any rate) begins. I think, or at least hope, that the reason most threads about Lent are about food is not because people think that's all there is to Lent, but because these are more or less objective questions. I see 'no oil' written on my calendar and don't know if that means olive oil or any oil, so I write a quick note on oc.net rather than bother my priest about it - it might not be something I intend to follow, I might just be curious as to what is meant. The rules/guidelines of the Church are discussed, who actually eats what and when is not. Things like almsgiving, charity work, abstaining from certain activities are subjective and not necessarily things people wish to discuss on an internet forum, or even among friends. Much in the same way, I might ask if it's correct to read/sing this or that during a service, but I wouldn't ask for advice about my personal prayer rule, or my spiritual life in general.

True, but many equate a rigid legalism with a "pure" spiritual life.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »

I'm sure if Punch fell asleep at the power plant because of intense fasting and blew up half a city as a result, some would consider him and those who died with him martyrs who gave their lives for the sake of the canons. Legalism is a problem, of course, but I don't think we should take discussions on message boards  - which many frequent precisely because they want to ask about technical or trivial things that aren't that important - as a reflection of people's actual priorities.
Deep Roots
Elder

Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »

I'm sure if Punch fell asleep at the power plant because of intense fasting and blew up half a city as a result, some would consider him and those who died with him martyrs who gave their lives for the sake of the canons.
hahaha awesome

Peace.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

I'm sure if Punch fell asleep at the power plant because of intense fasting and blew up half a city as a result, some would consider him and those who died with him martyrs who gave their lives for the sake of the canons. Legalism is a problem, of course, but I don't think we should take discussions on message boards  - which many frequent precisely because they want to ask about technical or trivial things that aren't that important - as a reflection of people's actual priorities.

Again true, but the posters are not the only ones reading the posts and it serves an equally valid purpose to remind them that legalism is not at the core of our Lent.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »

said Jesus never.

I don't think giving more alms and fasting should be juxtaposed to each other. If you lighten up your diet and go to the services you will also find giving alms to be of benefit in cultivating the virtues.

A good idea is to get some amount of cash and then drive around looking for the beggars who stand at intersections. Pop them a 10 or 20 if you can or go around giving what you can afford.. They will probably bless you for it.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »

No one in the history of the Church has addressed fasting with the clarity expressed by St. John Chrysostom.

ON FASTING:" Fasting is the change of every part of our life, because the sacrifice of the fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins. Therefore, whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is becoming successful, do not be jealous of him! If you see a beautiful woman on the street, pass her by.

In other words, not only should the mouth fast, but the eyes and the legs and the arms and all the other parts of the body should fast as well. Let the
hands fast, remaining clean from stealing and greediness. Let the legs fast, avoiding roads which lead to sinful sights. Let the eyes fast by not fixing themselves on beautiful faces and by not observing the beauty of others. You are not eating meat, are you? You should not eat debauchery with your eyes as well. Let your hearing also fast. The fast of hearing is not to accept bad talk against others and sly defamations."   Fasting is the change of every part of our life, because the sacrifice of the fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins. Therefore, whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is becoming successful, do not be jealous of him! If you see a beautiful woman on the street, pass her by. "

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles4/ChrysostomFasting.php
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »

No one in the history of the Church has addressed fasting with the clarity expressed by St. John Chrysostom.

ON FASTING:" Fasting is the change of every part of our life, because the sacrifice of the fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins. Therefore, whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is becoming successful, do not be jealous of him! If you see a beautiful woman on the street, pass her by.

In other words, not only should the mouth fast, but the eyes and the legs and the arms and all the other parts of the body should fast as well. Let the
hands fast, remaining clean from stealing and greediness. Let the legs fast, avoiding roads which lead to sinful sights. Let the eyes fast by not fixing themselves on beautiful faces and by not observing the beauty of others. You are not eating meat, are you? You should not eat debauchery with your eyes as well. Let your hearing also fast. The fast of hearing is not to accept bad talk against others and sly defamations."   Fasting is the change of every part of our life, because the sacrifice of the fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins. Therefore, whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is becoming successful, do not be jealous of him! If you see a beautiful woman on the street, pass her by. "

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles4/ChrysostomFasting.php

No one surpasses the Golden-Mouthed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

If not surpassing St John, St John of Damascus has to be at least his equal.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:37:04 PM by LBK » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

If not surpassing St John, St John of Damascus has to be at least his equal.  Smiley

And then there is that vision of the Three Hierarchs.

Do you have an icon of the Three Hierarchs?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »

Especially since he leaves no question unanswered.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »

Do you have an icon of the Three Hierarchs?

Yes. I have about a dozen of them on file.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »

Indeed. It would have been a nightmare for anyone to take him on in a theological or doctrinal argument.  Shocked laugh
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

Indeed. It would have been a nightmare for anyone to take him on in a theological or doctrinal argument.  Shocked laugh

Yet, St. John of Damascus lived centuries after St. John of Chrysostom, and many of St. John of Chrysostom's sermons and writings are apparently lost to history.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »

Yet, St. John of Damascus lived centuries after St. John of Chrysostom, and many of St. John of Chrysostom's sermons and writings are apparently lost to history.

OK, fine. But why must everything become an issue, an argument, on OC.net of late?

What has this to do with the oil question?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

OK, fine. But why must everything become an issue, an argument, on OC.net of late?

If the food is the least important aspect of a true fast, then what oil you avoid is almost a meaningless question.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »

If the food is the least important aspect of a true fast, then what oil you avoid is almost a meaningless question.
Fine. Then explain how the dueling "fathers" debate works here, too.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »

Were they arguing or just carrying on a bit of teasing one or that would posts too far? Smiley
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

Were they arguing or just carrying on a bit of teasing one or that would posts too far? Smiley

The smileys in my posts in that series make it clear I wasn't looking for an argument.  angel Why Maria chose to post the way she did in #110 is beyond me.  Huh
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

No, I was not looking for an argument. However, I think it wrong to compare saints.
God is glorified in His Saints.

I agree that food is not the major ingredient in a fast. We fast to help us avoid sin as it is not what comes into our mouths that is unclean, but rather, what comes out.

If not using oil causes us to sin, it is better to use it.
Then avoiding all oils does not make sense.

Thus, avoiding all things that come from the sea does not make sense.
There are jurisdictions that forbid shrimp, lobster, and crabs just because they are more expensive than meat and have become the rich man's diet. However, shrimp, lobster, and crab are not vertebrates like fish. Even lampreys and sharks are also not true vertebrates. And then one must not become scrupulous and look for the vertebrate. How far can one go? Granted eating a $20.00 lobster plate and demanding butter with it totally avoids the true spirit of the fast. Likewise, eating a huge plate of spaghetti to the point where one is stuffed avoids the true spirit of the fast because one then falls into the sin of gluttony and perhaps even lust.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:06:38 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »

No, I was not looking for an argument. However, I think it wrong to compare saints.

I agree that food is not the major ingredient in a fast. We fast to help us avoid sin as it is not what comes into our mouths that is unclean, but rather, what comes out.

There are jurisdictions that forbid shrimp, lobster, and crabs just because they are more expensive than meat and have become the rich man's diet. However, shrimp, lobster, and crab are not vertebrates like fish. Even lampreys and sharks are also not true vertebrates. And then one must not become scrupulous and look for the vertebrate. How far can one go? Granted eating a $20.00 lobster plate and demanding butter with it totally avoids the true spirit of the fast. Likewise, eating a huge plate of spaghetti to the point where one is stuffed avoids the true spirit of the fast because one then falls into the sin of gluttony and perhaps even lust.

Well written post, but I must query, how would eating a huge plate of pasta make someone fall into lust? Glottony, that is easy to see, but lust, not so much.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

Well written post, but I must query, how would eating a huge plate of pasta make someone fall into lust? Glottony, that is easy to see, but lust, not so much.

The Holy Fathers talk about the necessity to avoid overeating because there is a connection between gluttony and lust. Eating and drinking to the point of being stuffed violates the virtue of Temperance. Too much food and wine can stimulate lustful passions. We are to be ever sober and watchful, for the devil like a roaring lion seeks those whom he may devour.  See: I Peter 5:8.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:35:32 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »

LOL @ oil. If I am avoiding a triple bacon cheeseburger with a milkshake two days into Lent I'm doing awesome. Olive oil is not a concern at this stage, and would be an improvement over most things.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:51:23 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2013, 02:03:35 AM »

Like this...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:04:03 AM by choy » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »

Thus, avoiding all things that come from the sea does not make sense.i

The pasta might prepare you for a grueling bicycle race, but lust? Unless you have a weird food fetish.....?

Seriously, a good post. We view crab, lobster, etc... as delicacies today. Were they detested or viewed negatively by Mediterranean peoples back in an earlier time?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:41:29 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »

Like this...

St. Augustine always feel bad, he's always the last guy picked.  Wink  (me bad)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

We view crab, lobster, etc... as delicacies today. Were they detested or viewed negatively by Mediterranean peoples back in an earlier time?

Shellfish and molluscs were considered "poor man's food" up until very recently. Historically, the most valuable part of a fisherman's catch was the fish. The other critters left in the nets once the fish had been picked out were either kept for himself, or sold, but at a lower price than the fish.

The luxury tag for caviar has been around for barely 200 years, when the Russian imperial family and court developed a taste for this "peasant food". It didn't take long for the noble classes everywhere to clamor for it. The rest is history.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

Neither have I and this is supposed to be a forum that should be helpful and supportive for orthodox christians and/or for those that conciders/wants to convert like me.

All that threads like this does, is to confuse and create division.
Why?

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

Neither have I and this is supposed to be a forum that should be helpful and supportive for orthodox christians and/or for those that conciders/wants to convert like me.

Why?

Does your whining improve the situation?

And BTW, the forum's purpose:

To be clear, this site exists as an Orthodox Forum where people who identify themselves as Orthodox are given a place to discuss things pertinent to the Orthodox Faith.  In practicality, this means that there is a broad approach to allowing people from the Eastern Orthodox "Majority", the Eastern Orthodox "Traditionalists", and the Oriental Orthodox "Non-Chalcedonians" to post on topics relating to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:47:27 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »

No, I asked fellow perishoners for advice on the oils (and Lenten practice in general).

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

No, I asked fellow perishoners for advice on the oils (and Lenten practice in general).

Good. So what is your problem?
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »

Foods cooked in oils taste better and the Fathers knew this, so oils were banned on fasting days. That is why we can eat olives, peanuts, corn, etc. All of these have oils that are taken from them for cooking, but whole, are not considered an oil.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »

It's not always a direct correlation, but if you are struggling with lust and gluttony together, the two can play off one another. The enemy has strategies.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

Thus, avoiding all things that come from the sea does not make sense.i

The pasta might prepare you for a grueling bicycle race, but lust? Unless you have a weird food fetish.....?

Seriously, a good post. We view crab, lobster, etc... as delicacies today. Were they detested or viewed negatively by Mediterranean peoples back in an earlier time?

I don't mean to sound rude, but, please, do not overlook the patristic teaching which comes from their experience in fighting all the passions. You may not struggle against one passion, but that does not mean that a convergence between passions is silly. The belly is the seat of carnal desires--food, sleep, sex. If you try to use your own logic and limited experience (not that you're inexperienced as a person, but you are but one man), you will not understand it as the Fathers and you may miss a valuable teaching for your own edification.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »

Why?

We are getting ready for Great Lent and have already given up MEAT for this week.
Many people just get cranky when not eating meat.
Some folks develop anemia, and then must go off the fast.
In either case, it is good to have a regular spiritual father and to follow his advice BEFORE attempting to follow a strict fasting regime. If one becomes very irritable, then it is imperative to see your priest AND your doctor.

For example, I used to study with a man at my college. He suddenly acted very strange and then disappeared. It turned out that the high carb Lenten diet he was following caused serious problems for him as he was becoming irritable, dizzy, and had fainted. He awoke in the hospital and found that he had nearly died of diabetes.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

Why?

We are getting ready for Great Lent and have already given up MEAT for this week.
In either case, it is good to have a regular spiritual father and to follow his advice BEFORE attempting to follow a strict fasting regime. If one becomes very irritable, then it is imperative to see your priest AND your doctor.

For example, I used to study with a man at my college. He suddenly acted very strange and then disappeared. It turned out that the high carb Lenten diet he was following caused serious problems for him as he was becoming irritable, dizzy, and had fainted. He awoke in the hospital and found that he had nearly died of diabetes.

Yes, fewer than 40 days of "high carb" eating (if you talk about eating in terms of a macronutrients you probably have an eating disorder) causes diabetes.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »

Why?

Yes, fewer than 40 days of "high carb" eating (if you talk about eating in terms of a macronutrients you probably have an eating disorder) causes diabetes.

Assuming you're being your usual snarky self, Maria didn't say that it did.  He could have easily had an undiagnosed case of Type II diabetes and it finally manifested itself in force when he was eating a "high carb" diet w/o changing any of his activity habits to compensate.  It's not that much of a stretch.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:03:56 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: