OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:48:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary  (Read 2443 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: March 08, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »

Hey y'all,

I wondered if the commentaries of Matthew Henry might have a place in Eastern Orthodoxy?  I was gifted his single-volume commentary on the entire Bible (as Protestants see it) and I find it insightful.  Fr. Lawrence's commentaries are extremely helpful and insightful and preferred, but I wondered if anyone used Matthew Henry's? 

Thanks a million, y'all!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

11 views and no comments?  Y'all really have no thoughts on this?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Use your words!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »

I have vague recollections of this, like I might have skimmed it sometime (probably years ago when I was a Protestant), but I don't remember/know enough to comment on it...

*bump*

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »

I am familiar with it from many years back. 

With due respect, Matthew Henry's Commentary is not particularly deep or interesting in my personal opinion.
However, the reason that I would advise against it is that he was not an Orthodox Christian. 

The Gospel Commentary by Saint John Chrysostom or the Homilies of Saint Gregory Palamas, among other Chruch Fathers, would provide more worthwhile commentaries - particularly if you are going to invest a lot of time into reading it. 

Please do forgive if that sounds a bit frank.  I reckon it more useful to you to state my opinion straightforward - albeit respectful.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: