OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:47:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jennifer Aniston May Marry in Greek Orthodox Church  (Read 2604 times) Average Rating: 0
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 01:01:52 AM »

Alveus is one funny cat. He and Iconodule need to post more.

Agreed!

And back on topic, I sincerely hope she's doing it for the right reasons. Good on her if she is.  So the lecturing of we merry band of stone casters may cease if you desire.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »

This ain't the only topic of stone casters.

And a few of those here who are accusing those as such, should tread carefully before being called out on their own contradictions.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »

Awww, how precious.  She's feeling nostalgic for the church she went to as a kid. 
Perhaps. Or perhaps she feels a longing to give her marriage a more meaningful dimension.
Like yours?
Whatever. I don't know what Aniston's motive is....I'm not as adept at judging others as you-I haven't had as much pratice.

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »

Tallitot, I love you buddy but you were just beggin for it.  Grin Cheesy

Just poking some fun.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:10:31 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »

Too bad the only reason she's probably doing it is because it's the Church she went to as a child and thus is only doing it out of nostalgia.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:56 AM »

Too bad the only reason she's probably doing it is because it's the Church she went to as a child and thus is only doing it out of nostalgia.
I don't know if I would say nostalgia. She probably is doing it in part for her grandmother, didn't she donate like 25K to the Church in memory of her? I can't remember.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:45 AM »

You know, a less freindly soul wpould point out that last year a photo of Tom Hanks taking part in a GO Good Friday procession was posted all over the orthodox net-world...but none of you kvetched that he "only did it for pubilicity". get over it guys...

SHE"S NOT GOING TO MARRY ANY OF YOU
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:43:43 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:32 AM »

I don't think this a publicity stunt either. No E! Special Premeire ala Kardashian here. Hanks seems to be in good standing in the Church...

And if Aniston looked as good as she did in Horrible Bosses yes I woul be sad I didnt marry her either. I couldn't believe that was her in the movie.

Other than that meh, there's more attractive women out there.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »

This ain't the only topic of stone casters.

And a few of those here who are accusing those as such, should tread carefully before being called out on their own contradictions.

Innuendo, or hypocrisy, o righteous one?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:58:12 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »

The real problem is the lack of charity and pride (and yes: pride is the quick gateway to every possible problem - it is the mother of all problems and sins).

Throwing stones at each other or attack each other will make none of us grow spiritually closer to God.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

From personal experience, I  can't tell you how many times a priest is disappointed over the years when a person in whom he has invested much time, energy and prayer turns out not to be a faithful parishioner. It doesn't matter if it is a person coming for marriage counseling, a would be convert (BTW, the flame-out rate there is high) or any other reason. You would think he would despair. But, one saved soul, one strong in faith, far outweighs all of those who don't work out. Many times my dad would go out on a limb to work with someone "coming home" to the church only to be disappointed in the end. That never stopped him from treating the next seeker or returnee with his time, love, respect and prayers. THE ONE THING HE HAD ZERO TOLERANCE FOR WERE COFFEE KLATCH  FOLKS YACKING ABOUT SUCH THINGS. Bishops feel the same way with vocations and clergy.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »

Why is this important to us?

This is what I was thinking.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Why is this important to us?

This is what I was thinking.

In the big picture, it is not. Caring for your next yes. I do also understand the fear of turning the church into just another place for celebrities to do their thing, but I do trust the church enough to draw the line to what is acceptable and not.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »

This thread is sad.  Did we miss liturgy on March 3rd?

It's not sad. It's sick and one of the most embarrassing I've seen here in a decade.

Too many stones being cast here for no reason whatsoever.
TRUTH

Peace.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »

This thread is sad.  Did we miss liturgy on March 3rd?

I BET YOU THIS ANNISTON PERSON DID!  SHE'S NOT REAL ORTHODOX LIKE JAMESR AND OTHERS!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

I just wonder if there was similar hullaballoo on RC forums around Nicole Kidman's Catholic wedding.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »

I just wonder if there was similar hullaballoo on RC forums around Nicole Kidman's Catholic wedding.
I've spent a little time on Catholic boards - not a ton - and I think the "crazies" are slightly fewer, but still there.  Often they too are overzealous converts and/or have a similar case of monarchstalgia as we see here sometimes.

I suspect the number is slightly less because Orthodoxy has a kind of exoticism and otherness to it, which attracts a certain set of people who are AS attracted to the cultural otherness as they are to the theology and life of the Church.  That brings a little crazy.

Catholicism, at least, is LESS foreign seeming, so...people don't try to play weird LARP games with it as much.

Peace.
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »

She's divorced, so does she get the second marriage rite?

No; her first marriage was not blessed in the Orthodox Church; thus, it is not a recognized marriage by the Church.  Her father, actor John Aniston, was reported at the time of that marriage to be disappointed that she did not get married in the Orthodox Church.

Ms. Aniston claims membership in the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles.  A previous poster notes that she "was chrismated" in the Orthodox Church; she was baptized in the Orthodox Church and chrismated when she was a baby, and yes, actor Telly Savalas was her Godfather.

All of us sin, no one knows if Ms. Aniston sins more or less than any of us who are commenting on her apparent plans to marry in the church.  If indeed she is planning a wedding in a church of her faith of Holy Orthodoxy, that's a good thing.

But we do know that she likes to get naked in movie scenes and simulate fornication. But that's ok because she was acting ...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »

This thread has been nothing but an opportunity for us to gossip about a celebrity and engage in the most un-Christian of judgment. Therefore, I am locking this thread until serb1389 is able to make the final decision regarding this thread's disposal. Everyone, please try to do something more spiritually productive with this pre-Lenten season than engage in such banal gossip.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

I am permanently locking this thread.  Please do not open another thread on this particular subject, especially within Christian News or really just about anywhere on the board, unless it's the prayer forum where we can pray for God to bless her & her new marriage. 

-Serb1389. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: